- Emory University School of Law, J.D., 2002
- The Ohio State University, B.A., 1998
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
Daren is the managing partner of the Vorys Pittsburgh office and member of the litigation group. His practice is focused on the areas of complex litigation, product diversion, and Vorys eControl. Daren has extensive lead trial counsel experience in commercial, employment, intellectual property and injury matters, including class and collective actions. Daren’s eControl practice involves the implementation, both domestically and internationally, of cutting-edge enforcement systems and strategies designed to protect brand value in the digital world. Daren has been recognized by Chambers and Partners as a “Leading Lawyer” in litigation.
Recent experience highlights:
- Representing retailers in more than ten wage and hour class and collective actions in the past two years
- Winning defense verdict in FLSA trial on behalf of international retailer
- Obtaining decertification of California wage and hour class action on behalf of international retailer
- Obtaining summary judgment on behalf of corporations in a number of high-profile cases involving claims of alleged discrimination, harassment and retaliation
- Obtaining summary judgment on behalf of oil and gas producer in complex commercial litigation involving purchase of a large block of prime Utica Shale acreage
- Winning defense verdict and fee award in arbitration of industrial property lease dispute
- Obtaining favorable settlement during trial of partnership dissolution
- Winning defense verdict in false imprisonment trial
- Winning defense verdicts on behalf of financial institutions in numerous consumer cases
Vorys eControl & Brand Protection:
- Developing cutting-edge solutions for unauthorized seller problems that manufacturers, retailers and direct sellers encounter on the internet
- Advising leading consumer product manufacturers and retailers on developing legal claims against unauthorized sellers both domestically and internationally
- Leading unauthorized online seller enforcement efforts for dozens of leading manufacturers and brands both domestically and internationally
- Removing fraudulent apps, false review schemes and defamatory content from the internet
- Leading litigation matters against unauthorized online sellers and online defamers
Distribution & E-Commerce Strategy:
- Advising over 150 leading manufacturers and brands on distribution and e-commerce channel structures and agreements – both domestically and internationally – designed to protect and grow brand value in the digital age
- Implementing authorized reseller programs – both brick and mortar and ecommerce – for leading manufacturers and brands to help protect brand value by controlling online sales
- Implementing MAP and MRP programs and advising on related enforcement efforts
Daren obtained his J.D. from the Emory University School of Law and his B.A. from The Ohio State University.
Honors & Awards
- Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars, Business Litigation, 2007 & 2009, 2011
- Chambers and Partners, Leading Lawyer in Litigation: General Commercial, 2012
- 8/28/2017The College of Law Practice Management, an international organization that recognizes excellence in law practice management, announced today that Vorys was a recipient of a 2017 InnovAction Award. Vorys was one of just two recipients of this year’s award.
- 8/2/2017As virtually all consumer product manufacturers and brands now realize, the world is becoming increasingly e-commerce driven. While this paradigm shift has ushered in several opportunities for businesses, it also presents significant challenges.
- 3/28/2017Knueve, Garcia Included in Retail Law360 Story Titled “Judge OKs Abercrombie's $700K Deal In Worker Seating Suit”Vorys Partners Mark Knueve and Daren Garcia were included in a Retail Law360 story titled “Judge OKs Abercrombie's $700K Deal In Worker Seating Suit.”
- 3/28/2017Garcia Included in Retail Law360 Story Titled "9th Circ. Affirms A&F’s Quick Win In Maternity Bias Suit"Vorys Pittsburgh Office Managing Partner Daren Garcia was included in a Retail Law360 story titled "9th Circ. Affirms A&F’s Quick Win In Maternity Bias Suit."
- 9/15/2016Vorys announced that Daren Garcia will serve as the managing partner of the firm’s Pittsburgh office.
- 7/5/2016Daren Garcia, a partner in the litigation group, was included in a Courthouse News story titled “Abercrombie Says Gap Poached Its Executive.”
- 9/9/2015Vorys announced the launch of the firm’s sixth blog, Stop Unauthorized Online Sales. The blog focuses on providing tips and solutions to help businesses stop unauthorized sales and product diversion online, including on e-commerce and auction websites.
- 4/18/2014Vorys Partner Daren Garcia was included in a Labor and Employment Law360 story titled “Ohio Appeals Court Nixes Abercrombie Retaliation Suit.”
- 6/7/2012Vorys announced that 35 of the firm’s attorneys have been recognized among the leading practitioners in the country in the 2012 edition of Chambers USA.
- 4/3/2012Vorys announced that Daren Garcia, a partner in the firm’s Columbus office, has been selected for the 2012 Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD) Fellows Program.
- 2/8/2012Vorys Partners Mark Knueve and Daren Garcia were included in a Law360 story about arguments made before the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California in Amber Echavez v. Abercrombie and Fitch Co.
- 9/18/2018On September 18, 2018, Partner Daren Garcia participated in the NAVC Media and E-Commerce event.
- 9/13/2018Vorys attorneys Whitney Gibson, Daren Garcia and Laura Erdman presented at the Cleveland Research eCommerce Summit on September 13, 2018.
- 6/8/2018On June 8, 2018, Partner Daren Garcia participated in the American Bar Association’s The MAP Map: Navigating Minimum Advertised Price Policies and Other Resale Issues event.
- 5/10/2018Vorys presented a CLE program entitled Brand Value, Stopping MAP Violators and Removing Unauthorized Marketplace Sellers Western Pennsylvania Association of Corporate Counsel on May 10, 2018.
- 1/30/2018Vorys attorneys Daren Garcia and Whitney Gibson were speakers at the 20th Anti-Counterfeiting & Brand Protection Summit on January 30, 2018.
- 10/26/2016Vorys attorneys Daren Garcia and Whitney Gibson were speakers at the Retail Law Conference hosted by the Retail Industry Leaders Association on October 26, 2016.
- 10/24/2016Vorys attorneys Whitney Gibson and Daren Garcia were speakers at the Direct Selling Association Business & Policy Conference on October 24, 2016.
- 1/12/2018Vorys attorneys and co-leaders of the online seller enforcement group, Whitney Gibson and Daren Garcia, authored an article for TotalRetail titled “Four Steps to Stop Unauthorized Online Sales of Your Products.”
- 10/11/2016Practical Tips for Maintaining Online Minimum Advertised Pricing Policies and Avoiding Antitrust IssuesManufacturers—and retailers/resellers wanting to maintain profit margins—have often turned to Internet Minimum Advertised Price (IMAP) policies to combat overzealous advertising.
- 5/16/2016Financial Services Alert: Narrow Win For Spokeo at The U.S. Supreme Court: Plaintiffs Must Demonstrate Concrete Harm Even For Statutory ViolationsIn a highly-anticipated opinion, this morning the U.S. Supreme Court overturned the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals’ decision in Spokeo, Inc. v. Robins.
- 4/11/2016Retailers that have seen declining profits in traditional brick and mortar stores have turned to the internet to drive consumer sales. However, the e-commerce boom is not without its challenges. This in-depth article outlines the laws governing online marketing and advertising.
- 2/1/2016Allegations of “greenwashing”—generally defined as “the practice of making an unsubstantiated or misleading claim about the environmental benefits of a product, service, technology or company practice”—are on the rise.
- 11/20/2015California has taken the lead in enacting new comprehensive “green chemistry” laws aimed at reducing toxic chemicals found in everyday consumer products.