- Bankruptcy and Creditors' Rights
- Financial Institutions
- Information Technology, New Media and Advertising
- Intellectual Property, Entertainment, and Technology Protection
- Appellate Practice
- Bankruptcy and Creditors' Rights Litigation
- Business and Commercial
- Class Actions
- Consumer Finance
- Consumer Lending and Lender Liability
- E-Discovery and Electronic Information Management (EIM)
- Financial Institutions Litigation
- Intellectual Property
- Products Liability
- Privacy & Data Security
- The University of Chicago Law School, J.D., 1993
- Case Western Reserve University, B.A., 1990, summa cum laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
- The Honorable Ann Aldrich, United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio, 1993-1995
Marcel is a partner in the Vorys Cleveland office, a litigator and a privacy lawyer. His practice includes privacy, class actions, consumer protection, banking litigation, complex litigation, bankruptcy litigation and appellate practice.
Marcel’s litigation practice has frequently involved representing lenders and loan servicers in defense of consumer and commercial class actions, lender liability claims, loan servicing claims and privacy claims. He has defended class and individual actions raising data privacy, consumer protection, FCRA, TCPA and FDCPA claims. In addition, Marcel represents clients defending claims under the Truth in Lending Act (TILA), Regulation Z, the Uniform Commercial Code, Ohio's Consumer Sales Practices Act, Ohio’s Retail Installment Sales Act and other theories of liability to consumers. He has also represented clients in shareholder actions challenging mergers and acquisitions, intellectual property litigation, bankruptcy litigation and general business litigation.
Marcel’s privacy practice includes counseling clients with respect to privacy practices and compliance and allegations of data breach. He has advised clients with respect to GDPR compliance and cross-border data transfers from the EU to the US, financial privacy compliance, and he has counseled clients through the Privacy Shield certification process. He advises clients regarding digital marketing privacy issues, such as compliance with TCPA, CAN-SPAM and similar regulatory regimes. He is a member of the International Association of Privacy Professionals and a Certified Information Privacy Professional/Europe (CIPP/E), a Certified Information Privacy Professional/US (CIPP/US), a Certified Information Privacy Manager (CIPM), and a Fellow of Information Privacy (FIP).
He has spoken on subjects related to GDPR, privacy class actions, appellate advocacy and trial advocacy.
Marcel received his J.D. from The University of Chicago Law School and his B.A. summa cum laude from Case Western Reserve University.
Marcel clerked for the Honorable Ann Aldrich of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio.
Professional and Community Activities
- American Bar Association Consumer Litigation Committee, Data Security Subcommittee, past co-chair
- Sedona Conference Working Group II, member of Brainstorming Task Force on U.S. Enforceability of GDPR
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, past member of Board of Trustees, and past chair, Court Rules Committee, and past co-chair, Bench Bar Committee
- Sub-Committee on Proposed Local Rule Governing ESI, past co-chair
- Anshe Chesed Fairmount Temple, Treasurer and member of the Board of Trustees
- Dobama Theatre, past President and current member of the Board of Trustees
- United Jewish Cemeteries Association, Board of Governors
- Anti-Defamation League, current member of Board of Trustees, past participant in Glass Leadership Institute
- Eighth District Judicial Conference, Life Member
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation, 2018-2022
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- 3/31/2022Marcel Duhamel, a partner in the Vorys Cleveland office, recently earned his Certified Information Privacy Professional/Europe (CIPP/E) through the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP). This is the fourth certification from IAPP that Duhamel has received, in addition to CIPP/US, CIPM and FIP.
- 8/19/2021116 Vorys Attorneys Named to 2022 Best Lawyers in America List; 34 Vorys Attorneys Named to Best Lawyers’ “Ones to Watch” ListOne hundred and sixteen lawyers from Vorys were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in the Best Lawyers in America® 2022 edition. In addition, 34 Vorys attorneys were named to the 2022 Best Lawyers in America “Ones to Watch” list.
- 8/20/2020112 Vorys Attorneys Named to 2021 Best Lawyers in America List; 26 Vorys Attorneys Named to Best Lawyers’ Inaugural “Ones to Watch” ListOne hundred and twelve lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in the Best Lawyers in America® 2021 edition. In addition, 26 Vorys attorneys were named to the inaugural Best Lawyers in America “Ones to Watch” list.
- 8/15/2019One hundred and thirteen lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2020.
- 1/3/2019Marcel Duhamel, a partner in the Vorys Cleveland office, recently earned his Certified Information Privacy Manager (CIPM), joining the ranks of more than 13,000 professionals worldwide who currently hold the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP) certifications.
- 8/15/2018One hundred and thirteen lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2019.
- 8/17/2017One hundred and eight lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2018.
- 7/6/2017Marcel Duhamel, a partner in the Vorys Cleveland office, was quoted in a Law360 story titled “Record FCRA Verdict Highlights Privacy's Growing Value.”
- 9/9/2021Vorys is proud to host a complimentary, 5-part webinar series for commercial bankers. The series begins on May 4th, 2021 and continues through September 9th.
- 12/3/2020European Union Regulatory Changes: Post-Schrems II Landscape Panel for Boston Bar Privacy & Cybersecurity ConferenceMarcel Duhamel participated in a webinar discussion on European Union Regulatory Changes as part of the Boston Bar Privacy & Cybersecurity Conference.
- 7/8/2020Carrie Brosius and Marcel Duhamel, attorneys in the Vorys Cleveland office, presented a complimentary webinar discussing steps and actions to take when exercising rights and remedies after a loan default.
- 4/3/2020Vorys Partner Marcel Duhamel was a panelist at Case Western Reserve University’s Ignite: Legal Tech Innovation 2020 on April 3, 2020.
- 7/1/2019A Banker’s Guide to a Successful Commercial Loan Workout Webinar Series: Exercising Rights and Remedies WebinarVorys was proud to host a complimentary webinar series titled “A Banker’s Guide to a Successful Commercial Loan Workout.” Attorneys Brenda Bowers, Carrie Brosius and Marcel Duhamel presented the third webinar, titled “Exercising Rights and Remedies” on July 1, 2019.
- 5/16/2019On May 16, 2019, Vorys hosted the program, Trust & Ethics in the Age of Technology, in partnership with the Northeast Ohio Association of Corporate Counsel.
- 4/25/2019On April 25, 2019, Vorys hosted the program, Trust & Ethics in the Age of Technology, in partnership with the Central Ohio Association of Corporate Counsel.
- 10/23/2018Vorys hosted a webinar series highlighting important topics in the consumer finance industry on October 23, 2018.
- 9/13/2018Vorys partner Marcel Duhamel participated in the 2018 Sedona Conference in Los Angeles, California as a dialog leader, speaking on U.S. judicial enforcement of GDPR BG.
- 8/23/2018Three Vorys partners presented at the 2018 Ohio State Bar Association Convention/Legal Forum on August 23-24, 2018.
- May 17 – May 18, 2018Vorys Partners Marcel Duhamel and Lisa Pierce Reisz presented at Tech Show 2018 on May 17 and 18, 2018.
- 5/3/2018William J. O’Neill Great Lakes Regional Bankruptcy Institute 2018: It’s Time For Our Commercial BreakOn May 3, 2018 four Vorys attorneys spoke at the William J. O’Neill Great Lakes Regional Bankruptcy Institute 2018: It’s Time For Our Commercial Break.
- 4/10/2018Vorys is proud to host a webinar series highlighting important topics in the consumer finance industry. Previous webinar dates included March 15, April 10 and May 8, 2018.
- 2/8/2018What is the GDPR and Why Should I Care? An Introduction to the EU’s General Data Protection RegulationOn February 8, 2018 Vorys hosted the webinar, What is the GDPR and Why Should I Care? An Introduction to the EU’s General Data. This webinar was presented by Heather Enlow-Novitsky, Marcel Duhamel, and Jonathan Ishee.
- 10/26/2017The Vorys Consumer Financial Services Summit was held on October 26, 2017, in Vorys' Cincinnati office.
- 8/24/2017Vorys partner Marcel Duhamel spoke at ACI's 29th Consumer Finance Class Actions & Litigation Conference on July 24, 2017. He spoke on privacy and security issues related in the finance industry.
- 7/25/2017Vorys Partner Marcel Duhamel was a speaker at the Consumer Finance Class Actions & Litigation Conference hosted by the American Conference Institute on July 25, 2017.
- 7/20/2017The Three Most Overlooked Cybersecurity Risks: Data & Information Control, Human Factors and Third-Party VendorsVorys Partner Marcel Duhamel spoke at a CLE presentation titled "The Three Most Overlooked Cybersecurity Risks: Data & Information Control, Human Factors and Third-Party Vendors" co-hosted by the Association of Corporate Counsel Northeast Ohio Chapter and Jordan Lawrence on July 20, 2017.
- 6/15/2017Several Vorys attorneys were speakers at the 2017 Consumer Financial Services Summit on June 15, 2017.
- 1/25/2017Vorys Partners Lisa Babish Forbes and Marcel Duhamel were speakers at the CMBA Litigation Section Lunch and CLE Presentation hosted by the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association on January 25, 2017.
- 7/28/2016Vorys Partner Marcel Duhamel was a speaker at ACI’s 26th National Conference on Consumer Finance Class Actions & Litigation on July 28, 2016.
- 6/22/2016Several Vorys attorneys were speakers at the 2016 Consumer Financial Services Summit on June 22, 2016 in Columbus, Ohio.
- 5/4/2016Vorys and Grant Thornton hosted the 2016 Cleveland Privacy Summit on May 4.
- 4/29/2016Vorys Partner Marcel Duhamel was a panel speaker at the Annual Ohio Employment Law Seminar and Meeting hosted by the Ohio Employment Lawyers Association on April 29, 2016.
- 4/20/2016Vorys Partner Marcel Duhamel was a speaker at the American Conference Institute’s 20th National Forum on Residential Mortgage Litigation & Regulatory Enforcement on April 20, 2016.
- 4/18/2016Vorys attorneys Marcel Duhamel and Heather Lutz were speakers at the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association’s Litigation Section CLE on E-Discovery on April 18, 2016.
- 4/7/2016Vorys Partner Marcel Duhamel was a speaker at the 25th National Conference on Consumer Finance Class Actions & Litigation hosted by the American Conference Institute on April 7, 2016.
- 2/25/2016Several Vorys attorneys were speakers at the Vorys Consumer Financial Services Summit on February 25, 2016 in Cincinnati, Ohio.
- 12/11/2015Vorys Partner Marcel Duhamel was a speaker at the Employment Law 2015 Annual Seminar hosted by The Cleveland Employment Lawyers Association on December 11, 2015.
- 10/28/2015Vorys presented a Consumer Financial Services Summit on October 28, 2015 in Cleveland, Ohio.
- 9/20/2015Vorys Partner Marcel Duhamel was a speaker at the 2015 Regulatory Compliance Conference hosted by the Mortgage Bankers Association on September 20, 2015.
- 7/8/2015Vorys Partner Marcel Duhamel participated in a panel at the Consumer Law Seminar hosted by the Ohio State Bar Association on July 8, 2015.
- 4/15/2015Vorys co-hosted with Dix & Eaton and AIG to present "Perspectives on Cybersecurity: Proactively Protecting Data and Responding to Data Breaches" on April 15, 2015.
- 3/4/2015Vorys presented a Financial Institutions Summit on March 4, 2015 in Cleveland, Ohio.
- 11/7/2013The Appellate Strategies and Perspectives CLE series was created to provide attorneys interested in appellate law with practical tips and tools, an analysis of emerging trends and issues in the field, and a judicial viewpoint on the practice.
- 10/16/2013Vorys partner Marcel Duhamel spoke at the Litigation Basics Seminar hosted by the Ohio State Bar Association on October 16, 2013.
- 2/28/2013Vorys partner Marcel Duhamel presented What Every Legal Department Needs to Know about Litigation Hold on February 28, 2012.
- 6/10/2022Last week, the U.S. House and Senate released a discussion draft of the American Data Privacy and Protection Act (ADPPA). This is the first bipartisan data privacy bill released at the federal level. The introduction of the ADPPA comes in the wake of a profusion of comprehensive state data privacy laws passed and considered over the last few months. To date, five states have passed comprehensive privacy laws, including Connecticut just last month. If passed, the ADPPA would largely preempt state privacy laws, with some narrow exceptions.
- 3/28/2022On Friday, March 25, the White House announced that it and the European Commission have “committed” to a new framework to facilitate data transfers from the EU to the US. The news is welcome, if frustratingly bare of detail, to the thousands of businesses that had relied on Privacy Shield to legitimize such transfers prior to the European Union’s Court of Justice (CJEU) decision in July 2020 invalidating it.
- 8/23/2021Come November 1, 2021, U.S. companies doing business abroad will have yet another privacy law to think about – China’s Personal Information Protection Law (PIPL). China’s state media reported that the PIPL, which has been in development over the past year, was passed by China’s People’s Congress on August 20, 2021.
- 6/7/2021European Commission Publishes GDPR Decisions that Clarify SCC Issues and Data Transfers From the EU to the U.S.On June 4, 2021, the European Commission published a pair of decisions that provided much-needed guidance regarding standard contractual clauses (SCCs) and data transfer from the EU to the U.S.
- 7/27/2020Privacy Alert: European Data Protection Board Releases FAQ on the Ruling Invalidating the EU-U.S. Privacy ShieldLeaving businesses scrambling, the European Union Court of Justice invalidated the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield on July 16, 2020. Late last week, the European Data Protection Board (EDPB) published twelve Frequently Asked Questions on the judgment.
- 7/16/2020On July 16, 2020, the Court of Justice of the European Union invalidated reliance on the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield program for the transfer of data from within the EU to entities within the U.S.
- 4/21/2020Marcel Duhamel, a partner in the Vorys Cleveland office, authored a white paper titled "Two Years of GDPR: What We Have Learned and What You Need to Know."
- 4/20/2020In the last month, cyberattacks have exploited the unique challenges that businesses face due to increased teleworking.
- 4/13/2020With tens of millions of Americans suddenly working from home data privacy issues have taken on new urgency.
- 2/25/2020In February, the Irish Data Protection Commission (DPC) issued its annual report covering the first full year of GDPR enforcement.
- 3/21/2019The U.S. Supreme Court has vacated the Ninth Circuit’s decision approving a settlement between Google and a class of its users, based on unresolved questions regarding the users’ standing to bring their federal privacy claim.
- 3/7/2018The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has announced a settlement with PayPal, Inc., operating as Venmo, over alleged violations of the Federal Trade Act and the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA).
- 7/27/2017Client Alert: New Jersey Enacts Restrictions on Retailers’ Collection and Use of Consumer Identification InformationOn July 21, New Jersey Governor Chris Christie signed the “Personal Information and Privacy Protection Act.”
- 6/22/2017On June 20, a federal jury sitting in the Northern District of California Ramirez v. TransUnion LLC case awarded a class of 8,185 consumers the largest to date Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) verdict, consisting of $8 million in statutory damages and $52 million in punitive damages.
- 6/12/2017Client Alert: The Supreme Court Finds that Purchasers of Debts in Default are not “Debt Collectors” Under the FDCPAToday, in a unanimous decision delivered by Justice Gorsuch, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that companies that purchase and collect defaulted debts for their own accounts are not “debt collectors” subject to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA or the act).
- 5/2/2017The Supreme Court ruled on Monday that cities have standing under the Fair Housing Act (FHA) to sue banks based on allegations of discriminatory lending practices that purportedly led to economic losses for the cities through lower tax revenues and increased demand for city services.
- 3/3/2017Financial Services Alert: NY Cybersecurity Regulation in Effect – Covered Entities Have Initial 180 Day Transition Period to ComplyOn March 1, the New York State Department of Financial Services’ (DFS) Cybersecurity Requirements for Financial Services Companies (the regulations) went into effect.
- Winter 2017The United States Supreme Court’s May 16, 2016 decision in Spokeo, Inc. v. Robins, 136 S. Ct. 1540, may no longer be news, but how lower courts are struggling to understand and apply that decision is.
- 5/16/2016Financial Services Alert: Narrow Win For Spokeo at The U.S. Supreme Court: Plaintiffs Must Demonstrate Concrete Harm Even For Statutory ViolationsIn a highly-anticipated opinion, this morning the U.S. Supreme Court overturned the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals’ decision in Spokeo, Inc. v. Robins.
- 7/29/2014Client Alert: Brown v. Tellermate Holdings, Ltd.; Confirming that Candor and Communication are Keys to DiscoveryAs reflected in the recent decision by the United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio in Brown v. Tellermate Holdings, Ltd., communication and candor are key components of modern discovery. Indeed, the Brown decision emphasizes that, not only do attorneys have an affirmative obligation to speak to the key players related to the matter being litigated so that counsel and client together can identify, preserve, and search the sources of discoverable information, but doing so is necessary for effective advocacy.
- 1/6/2014365/360 Interest Calculation: Latest Developments in Ohio Case Law Provide Guidance in Interest Calculation MethodsMarcel C. Duhamel, a partner in the Cleveland office and Andrew P. Guran, an associate in the Akron office, authored this article on 365/360 Interest Calculation for the Winter 2014 issue of The Bankers' Statement.
- July 2009
- May 2004