- Bankruptcy and Creditors' Rights
- Financial Institutions
- Information Technology, New Media and Advertising
- Intellectual Property, Entertainment, and Technology Protection
- Appellate Practice
- Bankruptcy and Creditors' Rights Litigation
- Business and Commercial
- Class Actions
- Consumer Finance
- Consumer Lending and Lender Liability
- E-Discovery and Electronic Information Management (EIM)
- Financial Institutions Litigation
- Intellectual Property
- Products Liability
- Privacy & Data Security
- The University of Chicago Law School, J.D., 1993
- Case Western Reserve University, B.A., 1990, summa cum laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- U.S. Supreme Court
- The Honorable Ann Aldrich, United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio, 1993-1995
Marcel is a partner in the Vorys Cleveland office and a member of the litigation group. He focuses his practice on privacy, consumer protection, complex litigation, class actions, electronic discovery and appellate practice. He has frequently represented national banks and other lenders in defense of consumer and commercial class actions, lender liability claims, and predatory lending claims. In addition, Marcel represents clients defending claims under Ohio's Consumer Sales Practices Act, Retail Installment Sales Act, and other theories of liability to consumers. He has also defended clients in shareholder actions challenging mergers and acquisitions, intellectual property litigation and general business litigation. He advises and represents clients in connection with complex ESI issues, both prior to and during litigation, seeking the most cost effective means to avoid and resolve discovery disputes. He was recently appointed by the Court of Common Pleas of Cuyahoga County, Ohio to serve as a receiver over a manufacturing company during the pendency of a shareholder dispute.
Marcel also counsels clients with respect to privacy practices and allegations of data breach. He has defended class and individual actions raising data privacy, consumer protection, FCRA, TCPA and FDCPA claims. He has advised clients with respect to GDPR compliance and their privacy policies and has counseled clients through the Privacy Shield certification process. He is a member of the International Association of Privacy Professionals and a Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US).
He has spoken on subjects related to ESI and e-discovery, class actions, privacy, appellate advocacy and trial advocacy.
Marcel received his J.D. from The University of Chicago Law School and his B.A. summa cum laude from Case Western Reserve University.
Marcel clerked for the Honorable Ann Aldrich of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio.
Professional and Community Activities
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, past member of Board of Trustees, and past chair, Court Rules Committee, and co-chair, Bench Bar Committee
- Sub-Committee on Proposed Local Rule Governing ESI, past co-chair
- Anshe Chesed Fairmount Temple, Treasurer and member of the Board of Trustees
- Dobama Theatre, Vice President and current member of the Board of Trustees
- Legal Aid Society of Cleveland, past member of the Board of Trustees
- Anti-Defamation League, current member of Board of Trustees, Civil Rights Committee and Education Committee, past participant in Glass Leadership Institute
- Eighth District Judicial Conference, Life Member.
Honors & Awards
- Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars, General Litigation, 2007
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- The Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation, 2018-2019
- 8/15/2018One hundred and thirteen lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2019.
- 8/17/2017One hundred and eight lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2018.
- 7/6/2017Marcel Duhamel, a partner in the Vorys Cleveland office, was quoted in a Law360 story titled “Record FCRA Verdict Highlights Privacy's Growing Value.”
- 8/23/2018Three Vorys partners presented at the 2018 Ohio State Bar Association Convention/Legal Forum on August 23-24, 2018.
- May 17 – May 18, 2018Vorys Partners Marcel Duhamel and Lisa Pierce Reisz presented at Tech Show 2018 on May 17 and 18, 2018.
- 5/3/2018William J. O’Neill Great Lakes Regional Bankruptcy Institute 2018: It’s Time For Our Commercial BreakOn May 3, 2018 four Vorys attorneys spoke at the William J. O’Neill Great Lakes Regional Bankruptcy Institute 2018: It’s Time For Our Commercial Break.
- 4/10/2018Vorys is proud to host a webinar series highlighting important topics in the consumer finance industry. Previous webinar dates included March 15, April 10 and May 8, 2018.
- 2/8/2018What is the GDPR and Why Should I Care? An Introduction to the EU’s General Data Protection RegulationOn February 8, 2018 Vorys hosted the webinar, What is the GDPR and Why Should I Care? An Introduction to the EU’s General Data. This webinar was presented by Heather Enlow-Novitsky, Marcel Duhamel, and Jonathan Ishee.
- 10/26/2017The Vorys Consumer Financial Services Summit was held on October 26, 2017, in Vorys' Cincinnati office.
- 8/24/2017Vorys partner Marcel Duhamel spoke at ACI's 29th Consumer Finance Class Actions & Litigation Conference on July 24, 2017. He spoke on privacy and security issues related in the finance industry.
- 7/25/2017Vorys Partner Marcel Duhamel was a speaker at the Consumer Finance Class Actions & Litigation Conference hosted by the American Conference Institute on July 25, 2017.
- 7/20/2017The Three Most Overlooked Cybersecurity Risks: Data & Information Control, Human Factors and Third-Party VendorsVorys Partner Marcel Duhamel spoke at a CLE presentation titled "The Three Most Overlooked Cybersecurity Risks: Data & Information Control, Human Factors and Third-Party Vendors" co-hosted by the Association of Corporate Counsel Northeast Ohio Chapter and Jordan Lawrence on July 20, 2017.
- 6/15/2017Several Vorys attorneys were speakers at the 2017 Consumer Financial Services Summit on June 15, 2017.
- 1/25/2017Vorys Partners Lisa Babish Forbes and Marcel Duhamel were speakers at the CMBA Litigation Section Lunch and CLE Presentation hosted by the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association on January 25, 2017.
- 7/28/2016Vorys Partner Marcel Duhamel was a speaker at ACI’s 26th National Conference on Consumer Finance Class Actions & Litigation on July 28, 2016.
- 6/22/2016Several Vorys attorneys were speakers at the 2016 Consumer Financial Services Summit on June 22, 2016 in Columbus, Ohio.
- 5/4/2016Vorys and Grant Thornton hosted the 2016 Cleveland Privacy Summit on May 4.
- 4/29/2016Vorys Partner Marcel Duhamel was a panel speaker at the Annual Ohio Employment Law Seminar and Meeting hosted by the Ohio Employment Lawyers Association on April 29, 2016.
- 4/20/2016Vorys Partner Marcel Duhamel was a speaker at the American Conference Institute’s 20th National Forum on Residential Mortgage Litigation & Regulatory Enforcement on April 20, 2016.
- 4/18/2016Vorys attorneys Marcel Duhamel and Heather Lutz were speakers at the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association’s Litigation Section CLE on E-Discovery on April 18, 2016.
- 4/7/2016Vorys Partner Marcel Duhamel was a speaker at the 25th National Conference on Consumer Finance Class Actions & Litigation hosted by the American Conference Institute on April 7, 2016.
- 2/25/2016Several Vorys attorneys were speakers at the Vorys Consumer Financial Services Summit on February 25, 2016 in Cincinnati, Ohio.
- 12/11/2015Vorys Partner Marcel Duhamel was a speaker at the Employment Law 2015 Annual Seminar hosted by The Cleveland Employment Lawyers Association on December 11, 2015.
- 10/28/2015Vorys presented a Consumer Financial Services Summit on October 28, 2015 in Cleveland, Ohio.
- 9/20/2015Vorys Partner Marcel Duhamel was a speaker at the 2015 Regulatory Compliance Conference hosted by the Mortgage Bankers Association on September 20, 2015.
- 7/8/2015Vorys Partner Marcel Duhamel participated in a panel at the Consumer Law Seminar hosted by the Ohio State Bar Association on July 8, 2015.
- 4/15/2015Vorys co-hosted with Dix & Eaton and AIG to present "Perspectives on Cybersecurity: Proactively Protecting Data and Responding to Data Breaches" on April 15, 2015.
- 3/4/2015Vorys presented a Financial Institutions Summit on March 4, 2015 in Cleveland, Ohio.
- 11/7/2013The Appellate Strategies and Perspectives CLE series was created to provide attorneys interested in appellate law with practical tips and tools, an analysis of emerging trends and issues in the field, and a judicial viewpoint on the practice.
- 10/16/2013Vorys partner Marcel Duhamel spoke at the Litigation Basics Seminar hosted by the Ohio State Bar Association on October 16, 2013.
- 2/28/2013Vorys partner Marcel Duhamel presented What Every Legal Department Needs to Know about Litigation Hold on February 28, 2012.
- 3/7/2018The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has announced a settlement with PayPal, Inc., operating as Venmo, over alleged violations of the Federal Trade Act and the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA).
- 7/27/2017Client Alert: New Jersey Enacts Restrictions on Retailers’ Collection and Use of Consumer Identification InformationOn July 21, New Jersey Governor Chris Christie signed the “Personal Information and Privacy Protection Act.”
- 6/22/2017On June 20, a federal jury sitting in the Northern District of California Ramirez v. TransUnion LLC case awarded a class of 8,185 consumers the largest to date Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) verdict, consisting of $8 million in statutory damages and $52 million in punitive damages.
- 6/12/2017Client Alert: The Supreme Court Finds that Purchasers of Debts in Default are not “Debt Collectors” Under the FDCPAToday, in a unanimous decision delivered by Justice Gorsuch, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that companies that purchase and collect defaulted debts for their own accounts are not “debt collectors” subject to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA or the act).
- 5/2/2017The Supreme Court ruled on Monday that cities have standing under the Fair Housing Act (FHA) to sue banks based on allegations of discriminatory lending practices that purportedly led to economic losses for the cities through lower tax revenues and increased demand for city services.
- 3/3/2017Financial Services Alert: NY Cybersecurity Regulation in Effect – Covered Entities Have Initial 180 Day Transition Period to ComplyOn March 1, the New York State Department of Financial Services’ (DFS) Cybersecurity Requirements for Financial Services Companies (the regulations) went into effect.
- Winter 2017The United States Supreme Court’s May 16, 2016 decision in Spokeo, Inc. v. Robins, 136 S. Ct. 1540, may no longer be news, but how lower courts are struggling to understand and apply that decision is.
- 5/16/2016Financial Services Alert: Narrow Win For Spokeo at The U.S. Supreme Court: Plaintiffs Must Demonstrate Concrete Harm Even For Statutory ViolationsIn a highly-anticipated opinion, this morning the U.S. Supreme Court overturned the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals’ decision in Spokeo, Inc. v. Robins.
- 7/29/2014Client Alert: Brown v. Tellermate Holdings, Ltd.; Confirming that Candor and Communication are Keys to DiscoveryAs reflected in the recent decision by the United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio in Brown v. Tellermate Holdings, Ltd., communication and candor are key components of modern discovery. Indeed, the Brown decision emphasizes that, not only do attorneys have an affirmative obligation to speak to the key players related to the matter being litigated so that counsel and client together can identify, preserve, and search the sources of discoverable information, but doing so is necessary for effective advocacy.
- 1/6/2014365/360 Interest Calculation: Latest Developments in Ohio Case Law Provide Guidance in Interest Calculation MethodsMarcel C. Duhamel, a partner in the Cleveland office and Andrew P. Guran, an associate in the Akron office, authored this article on 365/360 Interest Calculation for the Winter 2014 issue of The Bankers' Statement.
- July 2009
- May 2004