- University of Washington School of Law, J.D., 1988
- Brigham Young University, B.A., 1985
Bar & Court Admissions
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
Dave is a partner in the Vorys Columbus office and a member of the labor and employment group. His practice focuses on the representation of businesses and individuals in all areas of immigration and naturalization law. Dave speaks Japanese. Dave serves as Honorary Consul of Japan in Columbus.
Dave is a member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA). He serves as a member of AILA’s Annual Conference Planning Committee (Business) and has served as a member of AILA's Distance Learning and Business Committees. Dave also served as Chair of AILA's USCIS Texas Service Center Liaison Committee (2013-2014) and as a member of AILA's USCIS Service Center Operations (SCOPS) Liaison Committee. Dave served previously as a member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association USCIS Texas Service Center Liaison Committee (2009-2012) and as a member of the Nebraska Service Center Liaison Committee (2008-09). Dave is also a member of the Columbus Bar Association.
Dave frequently presents seminars dealing with employment-related visa and immigration matters and employment-related immigration compliance.
Dave received his J.D. from the University of Washington School of Law and his B.A. from Brigham Young University.
Dave served as senior assistant counsel at Honda of America Mfg. Inc. from 1990 to 1995.
Dave is past president of the Rotary Club of Hilliard.
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, Columbus Immigration Law "Lawyer of the Year," 2016
- The Best Lawyers in America, Immigration Law, 2013-2021
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Immigration, 2004
- 8/20/2020112 Vorys Attorneys Named to 2021 Best Lawyers in America List; 26 Vorys Attorneys Named to Best Lawyers’ Inaugural “Ones to Watch” ListOne hundred and twelve lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in the Best Lawyers in America® 2021 edition. In addition, 26 Vorys attorneys were named to the inaugural Best Lawyers in America “Ones to Watch” list.
- 8/15/2019One hundred and thirteen lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2020.
- 8/15/2018One hundred and thirteen lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2019.
- 8/17/2017One hundred and eight lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2018.
- 4/19/2017Cook Profiled in Daily Reporter Story Titled “Columbus Attorney Named State’s Honorary Consul Of Japan”David Cook, a partner in the Vorys Columbus office, was recently profiled in a Daily Reporter story related to his appointment as the Honorary Consul Of Japan.
- 8/15/2016One-hundred and eleven lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2017.
- 8/17/2015One-hundred and eighteen lawyers from Vorys were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2016.
- 8/17/2015Sixteen Vorys attorneys have been named 2016 Lawyers of the Year by Best Lawyers.
- 4/21/2015Dave Cook, a partner in the Vorys Columbus office, was profiled in Law360’s Immigration Q&A series.
- 8/18/2014One-hundred and ten lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2015.
- 8/14/2013One hundred and eleven lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2014.
- 4/16/2013Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP recently advised the Pressure Cylinders segment of Worthington Industries, Inc. in connection with its acquisition of the business of Palmer Mfg. &Tank, Inc., for $113,500,000.
- 8/23/2012One hundred and twenty-six lawyers from Vorys were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2013.
- 12/15/2020Doing Business Between U.S. and Canada? What you Need to Know. Crossing During COVID – U.S./Canada Immigration StrategiesPartnered with McMillan, Vorys attorney David Cook hosted a virtual panel discussion on immigration and employment considerations when doing business between U.S. and Canada.
- 12/10/2020Pan Asian Business Forum: Overview of Current Growth Areas Presented by the City of Dublin GrassrootsDavid Cook participated in a business forum discussion on the current areas of economic growth throughout Asia.
- 10/12/2020Vorys was proud to host a weeklong virtual program providing insights and updates for HR professionals from October 12-15, 2020.
- 11/14/2019Vorys Partner Dave Cook spoke at the 2019 Asian American Commerce Group Economic Summit on Thursday, November 14, 2019.
- 10/17/2019Vorys Partner Dave Cook spoke at the Japan America Society of Greater Cincinnati Annual Gala on October 17, 2019.
- 10/11/2019Vorys Partner Dave Cook was a panelist at the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) Ohio Chapter Fall CLE Conference on October, 11, 2019.
- 11/6/2018Vorys Partner David Cook presented on the advantages of investing and doing business in Ohio and provided an update on U.S. immigration law to Honda of America and its suppliers in Japan from November 6-13, 2018.
- 9/27/2018On September 27, 2018, Vorys Partner Dave Cook spoke at the Legal Aid Society of Columbus’ event, Assisting Low-Income Clients With Naturalization.
- 5/17/2018On May 17, 2018, Vorys hosted a joint program between JASCO and WELD on Business Communication Styles for Women Engaged with the Japanese Community
- 5/2/2018Vorys Partner Dave Cook presented at Nakama no Kai 仲間の会; Bowling Green State University’s 48th Japanese-America business dinner meeting on Wednesday, May 2, 2018.
- 3/14/2018On March 14, 2018 Dave Cook spoke at the Tohoku Update, sponsored by Japan External Trade Organization and Japan America Society of Central Ohio.
- 10/6/2017Vorys partner David Cook presented at the Ohio Chapter of the American Immigration Lawyers Association's Annual Fall Ohio Conference on October 6, 2017.
- 10/5/2017Vorys partner David Cook spoke at the 2017 Japan American Society of Central Ohio Economic Business Seminar on October 5, 2017.
- October 5-6, 2017Vorys partner David Cook moderated at the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) Ohio CLE Conference on October 6, 2017.
- 8/31/2017Vorys Partner Dave Cook was a speaker at the CLE titled "Assisting Low-Income Clients with Naturalization" hosted by the Legal Aid Society of Columbus on August 31, 2017.
- 10/9/2015Vorys Partner Dave Cook was a speaker at the 2015 American Immigration Lawyers Association Ohio Chapter Annual CLE Conference on October 9, 2015.
- 6/19/2015Vorys Partner Dave Cook was a speaker at the American Immigration Lawyers Association Annual Conference on June 19, 2015.
- 11/21/2013Vorys attorneys David Cook and Sachiyo Peterson spoke at the International Law Committee Meeting on November 21.
- 3/11/2021On Wednesday, March 10th, the House passed the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021, the third major federal COVID-19 relief act following the CARES Act and the December 2020 Consolidated Appropriations Act. President Biden is expected to sign it into law Friday.
- 2/5/2021Immigration Alert: USCIS Announces Registration Period for FY2022 H-1B Visa Lottery; Wage-Based Selection of H-1B Visas Will Not ApplyOn February 5, 2021, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) announced that the initial registration period for the H-1B lottery process will open at noon ET on March 9, 2021 and run through noon ET on March 25, 2021.
- 1/5/2021Presidential Proclamation Extends the Suspension of Entry of Certain Nonimmigrants and Immigrants Through March 31, 2021On December 31, 2020, President Trump signed a Presidential Proclamation extending the suspension of entry of certain nonimmigrant visa holders to March 31, 2021.
- 12/27/2020Late on December 27, the President signed a $900 billion relief package that will provide aid to individuals and businesses still struggling with the economic impact of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Both the House and the Senate passed the proposal last week.
- 10/2/2020Immigration Alert: Significant Movement in October Visa Bulletin Will Allow Many to File Adjustment ApplicationsLast week, the Department of State released the October Visa Bulletin. With October being the beginning of the federal government’s new fiscal year, and with COVID-19 and associated visa and travel bans leading to a reduced usage of immigrant visa numbers, there was significant movement in the priority dates.
- 8/5/2020Immigration Alert: Another Executive Order Seeks to Limit Use of Foreign Labor; Restrict H-1B ProgramOn August 3, 2020, President Trump signed an Executive Order instructing the Secretaries of Labor and Homeland Security to take action to ensure all H-1B employers comply with labor condition and wage requirements.
- 6/23/2020Immigration Alert: Presidential Proclamation Suspends Entry of Certain Nonimmigrants, Extends Suspension of Immigrants, Through December 31, 2020On June 22, 2020, President Trump signed a Presidential Proclamation suspending the entry of certain nonimmigrant visa holders from June 24, 2020 to December 31, 2020.
- 6/17/2020The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) announced on June 16, 2020 that it will extend the previously announced policy to defer the physical presence requirements associated with the Employment Eligibility Verification process (Form I-9) to July 19, 2020.
- 5/29/2020The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) announced today that it will resume Premium Processing service for eligible nonimmigrant visa petitions (Form I-129) and immigrant visa petitions (Form I-140).
- 4/23/2020On April 22, 2020, President Trump issued a proclamation suspending the entry of certain immigrants into the United States for 60 days.
- 4/8/2020With international travel coming seemingly to a halt, employers may be concerned about visa status expirations for their employees who typically extend their status through travel or the consulate, including those in E, Blanket L-1, and TN visa status.
- 4/6/2020The Department of Labor and the U.S. and Citizenship and Immigration Services have yet to issue any special guidance or relax any statutory or regulatory requirements regarding the treatment of nonimmigrants amid COVID-19 workplace implications.
- 3/23/2020The Department of Homeland Security announced on March 20, 2020 that it will exercise discretion to defer the physical presence requirements associated with Employment Eligibility Verification (Form I-9).
- 3/20/2020See the latest U.S. employment and immigration updates related to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- 2/4/2020Immigration Alert: New Version of Form I-9 Available – Use of New Version Becomes Mandatory Starting May 1, 2020The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) released a new version of Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification.
- 6/20/2019For those clients with foreign national workers who may have plans to travel abroad this summer, this brief advisory provides some basic guidance and reminders for international travel.
- 2/7/2019Immigration Alert: H-1B Visa Lottery (Fiscal Year 2020): Important Changes to the Application ProcessThe U.S. DHS anticipates that the new procedures will result in granting more H-1B visas to beneficiaries with advanced degrees (U.S. master’s degree or higher), thus rewarding the “most-skilled and highest-paid” in support of the Buy American and Hire American Executive Order.
- 1/4/2019Due to the well-publicized impasse between President Trump and Congress, a partial government shutdown is currently in effect.
- 1/4/2019Immigration Alert: Government Shutdown: What Immigration Services are Affected and How to Deal with the Suspension of E-VerifyDue to the well-publicized impasse between President Trump and Congress, a partial government shutdown is currently in effect. Approximately 25 percent of government functions are shut down.
- 1/22/2018At the beginning of each government fiscal year, which starts October 1, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) makes available an allocation of new H-1B visas.
- 1/18/2018The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 (IRCA), as amended by the Immigration Act of 1990, makes it unlawful for an employer to knowingly hire or continue to employ any person who is not authorized to work in the United States.
- 1/12/2018On April 18, 2017, President Trump signed an Executive Order titled, “Buy American and Hire American.”
- 3/6/2017The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has announced that it will temporarily suspend Premium Processing (which guarantees adjudication in 15 calendar days) for all H-1B visa petitions filed on or after April 3, 2017.
- 1/24/2017At the beginning of each government fiscal year, which starts October 1, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) makes available an allocation of new H-1B visas.
- 11/18/2016This week, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) published a revised Employment Eligibility Verification Form I-9 for use by employers.
- 5/9/2016The Department of Homeland Security’s new rule on the STEM Optional Practical Training extension goes into effect on May 10, 2016. Some of the changes that impact employers are highlighted in this Immigration Alert.
- 2/16/2016At the beginning of each government fiscal year, which starts October 1, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) makes available an allocation of new H-1B visas. In general, the H-1B visa classification permits a foreign national to work in the United States for a temporary period in a “specialty occupation.”
- 12/23/2015The U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement and Office of Special Counsel for Immigration-Related Unfair Employment Practices recently released guidance for employers conducting internal I-9 audits. The guidance covers topics including how to define the scope of an internal audit, how to communicate to employees regarding the audit, how to fix specific errors discovered during the audit, and other related questions.
- 2/26/2015Effective May 26, 2015, certain H-4 dependent spouses of H-1B nonimmigrants will become eligible for their own employment eligibility.
- 11/21/2014On November 20, 2014, President Obama announced a number of executive actions (also known as the Immigration Accountability Executive Actions). One of the executive actions focused on policies supporting U.S. high-skilled businesses and workers. A link to this executive action can be found here. In this action, President Obama directs new policies and regulations that will support our country’s high-skilled businesses and workers by improving the ability of U.S. businesses to hire and retain highly skilled foreign-born workers, while also providing the workers with increased flexibility to make natural advancements with their current employers or seek similar opportunities elsewhere.
- 3/3/2014At the beginning of each fiscal year, which for the federal government starts October 1, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) makes available an allocation of new H-1B visa numbers.
- 10/1/2013The failure of the U.S. Congress to reach a budget deal is causing a partial shutdown of U.S. government offices and services. The full extent to which the government shutdown will affect various aspects of the immigration process is not yet clear.
- 5/3/2013The U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) recently published an interim final rule indicating its intention to automate its Form I-94, Arrival/Departure Record.
- 4/29/2013The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) recently published a revised Employment Eligibility Verification Form I-9 for use by employers.
- 4/5/2013The U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) published an interim final rule on March 27, 2013, indicating its intention to automate its Form I-94, Arrival/Departure Record. Form I-94, among other purposes, provides documentation of the admission and approved length of stay for individuals in a temporary immigration status.
- 4/5/2013The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) announced today that it has received a sufficient number of H-1B petition to reach the statutory cap for the fiscal year 2014. USCIS will use a computer-generated random selection process (commonly known as the “lottery”) for all FY 2014 cap-subject petitions received through April 5, 2013.
- 3/20/2013At the beginning of each fiscal year, which starts October 1, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) makes available an allocation of new H-1B visas. The number of these new visas that are available each year is capped at approximately 65,000 (plus an additional 20,000 that are exempt from the cap for individuals with advanced degrees from an accredited U.S. college or university). Applications for these new visas can be filed as soon as April 1.
- 3/12/2013On March 8, 2013, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) published a revised Employment Eligibility Verification Form I-9 for use by employers.
- 3/5/2013At the beginning of each fiscal year, which starts October 1, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services makes available an allocation of new H-1B visas. The number of these new visas that are available each year is capped at approximately 65,000.
- 6/18/2012Immigration Alert: Department of Homeland Security Announces Deferred Action Process for Certain Young PeopleOn June 15, 2012, the secretary of homeland security announced that effective immediately, certain young people who were brought to the United States as young children will be considered for relief from removal or from entering into removal proceedings.
- 4/19/2012Effective April 13, 2012, the Department of State adjusted the visa processing fees applicable to beneficiaries applying for a new visa stamp at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate. Most nonimmigrant visa applications and Border Crossing Cards will increase, except for the E visas (treaty-traders and treaty-investors) and K visas (for fiancés of U.S. citizens).
- 4/9/2012U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services updated its count of FY2013 cap-subject H-1B petitions and advanced degree cap-exempt petitions receipted. As of April 9, 2012, nearly 17,400 H-1B cap-subject petitions were receipted.
- 3/1/2012The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has announced the expansion of TSA Precheck, a passenger pre-screening initiative. Under this initiative, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) focuses its efforts on passengers the agency knows less about, while providing expedited screening for travelers who volunteer information about themselves before flying.
- 2/29/2012As you may know, the annual cap for the current fiscal year allocation of H-1B visas was reached on November 22, 2011. Since that time, employers have not been able to file H-1B visa petitions subject to the annual cap.