Labor and Employment
- Employment Litigation
- Employment Relations, Policies, and Regulatory Practice
- Labor/Management Relations
- Cleveland State University Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, J.D., 2008, summa cum laude
- Cleveland State Law Review, senior editor, 2006-2008
- Cleveland State Journal of Law and Health, research editor, 2005-2006
- University of Akron, B.S., A.A.S, 2002, cum laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
Chaz is a partner in the Vorys Cleveland office and a member of the labor and employment group. He has significant experience advising in-house legal counsel and HR leaders on a wide range of labor and employment matters, including: the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA); the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA); the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC); collective bargaining, labor relations issues and the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB); drafting and implementing employee handbooks; providing management and employee trainings; and assisting with HR related issues associated with both mergers and acquisitions.
- Working as assistant general counsel at a Fortune 500 company and advising business and HR leadership regarding all aspects of labor and employment law impacting over 25,000 employees
- Serving as the vice president of HR at a large financial services company
- Representing domestic and international clients in the education, transportation, healthcare, power distribution, engineering, manufacturing, banking, retail, staffing, and construction industries on labor and employment matters
- Leading investigations of, and responses to, NLRB unfair labor practice charges and NLRB hearings, including coordination of investigations, interviews, affidavits, and preparation of hearing briefs
- Managing employment litigation for a Fortune 500 company throughout the U.S. and overseeing the work of outside counsel
Prior to joining Vorys, Chaz worked as an assistant general counsel at Parker-Hannifin Corporation. He also served as the VP of HR at a large financial services company. This experience in-house has made Chaz more pragmatic, budget sensitive and creative when addressing labor and employment related matters for clients.
Chaz is a member of the Ohio State Bar Association (OSBA) and the OSBA’s Labor and Employment Section.
Chaz received his J.D. summa cum laude from Cleveland State University Cleveland-Marshall College of Law and served as a senior editor for the Cleveland State Law Review. He also served as a research editor for the Cleveland State Journal of Law and Health. He received his B.S. and A.A.S cum laude from the University of Akron.
- 12/9/2019Vorys announced today that Chaz Billington, an attorney with in-house and outside counsel experience, has joined the firm’s Cleveland office as a partner. Billington’s practice will focus on providing in-house legal counsel and HR leaders creative and pragmatic advice on a wide range of labor and employment matters.
- 12/13/2019Labor and Employment Alert: Cuyahoga County, Ohio, Prohibits Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity DiscriminationTwenty-one states and the District of Columbia currently prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and/or gender identity and expression.