Labor and Employment
- Employment Litigation
Employment Relations, Policies, and Regulatory Practice
- Affirmative Action Programs
- Covenants Not to Compete and Trade Secrets
- Drug and Alcohol Policies and Testing
- Employee Discipline and Termination
- Employment Counseling
- Employment Policies and Manuals
- Equal Employment Opportunity
- Family and Medical Leave Act
- Management Training
- Wage and Hour/Fair Labor Standards Act
- Whistleblower Protection
- Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act ("WARN")
- Workplace Harassment, Including Sexual Harassment
- Workplace Technology Policies
- The University of Akron School of Law, J.D., 1999, summa cum laude
Akron Law Review, research/case and comment editor, 1998-1999
- Grove City College, B.A., 1996
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
Ashley is of counsel in the Vorys Akron office and a member of the labor and employment group. Her practice focuses on representing employers in employment-related litigation and defending them against charges before administrative agencies. Ashley also counsels employers on effective employment practices and compliance with federal and state labor laws, including civil rights laws, the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), and wage and hour law.
Ashley is a member of the Akron Bar Association.
Ashley has lectured on a variety of employment law topics, including the FMLA, sexual harassment, and wage and hour regulations.
Ashley received her J.D. summa cum laude from The University of Akron School of Law and was the research/case and comment editor for the Akron Law Review. She received her B.A. from Grove City College.
Professional and Community Activities
- Akron Bar Association, Judicial Commission
- The Boys and Girls Club of Summit County, Board of Directors, 1999-2007; Vice President of Operations, 2006-2007
Honors & Awards
- Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars, Employment and Labor, 2006-2007, 2009-2013
- 12/17/2012Seventy-Seven attorneys from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease have been named 2013 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 11/8/2018Vorys hosted the annual Akron Labor and Employment Seminar on November 8, 2018.
- 11/2/2017Vorys attorneys Tom Cookes, Meg Everett, Chris Poth, Ashley Manfull and Ken Stump presented at the 2017 Akron Labor and Employment Seminar on November 2, 2017.
- 11/10/2016Vorys attorneys Tom Crookes, Ashley Manfull, Christine Poth and Ken Stump were speakers at the Vorys seminar titled "Where Are We Now (and What May Be Around the Next Corner)?
- 11/5/2015Vorys attorneys Tom Crookes, Ashley Manfull, Christine Poth and Ken Stump presented at the Akron Labor and Employment Seminar on November 5, 2015.
- 10/24/2014Vorys attorneys Tom Crookes, Ashley Manfull, Meg Everett, Ken Stump and Jen Dunsizer presented at the Akron Labor and Employment Law Conference on October 24, 2014.
- 11/6/2013Vorys attorneys Tom Crookes, Jolie Havens, Jen Dunsizer, Meg Everett, Ashley Manfull and Ken Stump presented at the Vorys Labor and Employment Law Conference on November 6, 2013.
- 11/9/2012Vorys attorneys Tom Crookes, Jolie Havens, Meg Everett, Ashley Manfull and Stephanie Angeloni presented at the firm's annual labor and employment law seminar on November 9.
- 6/20/2018Labor and Employment Alert: New NLRB Guidance Gives the Green Light on Common Sense Employee Work RulesIn December, the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) established a new standard for determining the lawfulness of facially neutral employee handbook policies that “may” restrict the exercise of an employee’s NLRA rights.
- 7/20/2016Ashley Manfull, an attorney in the Akron office and a member of the labor and employment group, authored an article titled “Unpaid Interns and Volunteers: An Effective Way to Reduce Costs for Public Employers?” for The International Public Management Association for HR’s HR News Magazine.
- 5/28/2015Nelson Cary, a partner in the Columbus office, and Ashley Manfull, a senior attorney in the Akron office, co-authored an article for Crain’s Cleveland Business titled “Policies on Employee Appearance and Social Media Use Declared Unlawful.”
- 3/25/2015Labor and Employment Alert: The NLRB’s Employee Handbook Policy Guidance — It’s Not Just For Union WorkplacesOn March 18, 2015, the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) general counsel released a report addressing “problematic” employee handbook provisions that could be “reasonably construed” as having a chilling effect on employees’ Section 7 activity under the National Labor Relations Act (basically, the right to engage in “concerted activities” for collective bargaining or “other mutual aid and protection”).
- 1/15/2015Ashley Manfull, an associate in the Vorys Akron office and a member of the labor and employment group, authored an article for Crain’s Cleveland Business regarding employee performance improvement plans (PIPs) and year-end reviews.
- 12/12/2014Labor and Employment Alert: Employers Must Allow Employees to Use Employer Owned and Operated Email Systems for Union Organizing ActivitySince 2007, as a result of the NLRB’s Register Guard decision, an employer could lawfully limit the use of its email system by employees for certain non-business related activities, assuming that it applied the rule non-discriminatorily. On December 10, 2014, in a 3-2 decision, the NLRB reversed the old rule established in Register Guard and established a new rule. Now, employees must be permitted to use employer email for statutorily protected communications during nonworking time if they have access to employer computer systems for work.
- 11/25/2014Ashley Manfull, a senior attorney in the Vorys Akron office and a member of the labor and employment group, authored an article for TLNT.com titled “Troubling Questions After Record $185 Million Discrimination Award.”