- Intellectual Property, Entertainment, and Technology Protection
- Bankruptcy and Creditors' Rights Litigation
- Business and Commercial
- Class Actions
- Consumer Finance
- Intellectual Property
- Professional Liability and Discipline
- Securities, Shareholder Disputes, and Corporate Governance
- Trust and Estate Litigation
- University of Virginia School of Law, J.D., 2012
- Virginia Tax Review, editorial board member, 2010-2012
- Dickinson College, B.A., 2009, magna cum laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U. S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
- The Honorable Rebecca B. Connelly, United States Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Virginia, 2012-2014
Aaron is an associate in the Vorys Cleveland office and is a member of the litigation group. His practice focuses on representing clients in connection with the defense or prosecution of their intellectual property rights, including cases involving patent and trademark infringement, trade secrets, and non-competition agreements. Aaron also maintains a broad-based litigation practice representing public and private companies, as well as individual officers, directors, partners, and fiduciaries, in complex business disputes involving securities fraud violations, shareholder derivative actions, business torts, and class action defense.
His notable experience includes:
- Representation of manufacturer of automotive battery jump starters in patent infringement lawsuits
- Representation of technology security firm in patent infringement lawsuit
- Representation of a state university in a class action alleging violations of the Sherman Act, Lanham Act and Ohio's Deceptive Trade Practices Act
- Representation of a major brewery in a trademark infringement jury trial against a bottler of root beer branded similarly to the client’s iconic marks
- Representation of a public company and its officers and directors in a derivative shareholder class action alleging violations of federal securities law
- Representation of a publicly-traded savings and loan holding company and its officers and directors in connection with a merger strike suit
- Representation of a lender in connection with a consumer class action alleging violations of Ohio’s Uniform Commercial Code and Consumer Sales Practices Act
- Representation of law firms and attorneys in defense of claims of legal malpractice and other breaches of trust
- Representation of financial institutions and lenders in commercial contract and secured transaction disputes in state and federal courts, as well as administrative tribunals
- Representation of corporations and affinity groups challenging local charter provisions and initiatives purporting to strip corporations of constitutionally protected rights and privileges
Aaron received his J.D. from the University of Virginia School of Law, where he was a member of the editorial board of the Virginia Tax Review. He received his B.A. magna cum laude from Dickinson College, where he was Phi Beta Kappa.
Prior to joining Vorys, Aaron served as a law clerk to the Honorable Rebecca B. Connelly of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Virginia.
Professional and Community Activities
- Member, Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association Litigation Section Council (2016 – 2018)
- Member, Dickinson College Admissions Volunteer Society (2014-present)
- Member, Greater Cleveland Young Professionals Council of the American Cancer Society (2016-2019)
- 11/20/2015Vorys attorneys Lisa Forbes and Aaron Williams were speakers at the 2015 Oil and Gas Seminar hosted by the Ohio State Bar Association.
- 4/28/2020Intellectual Property Alert: The Supreme Court Expands the Government Edicts Doctrine in its Ruling that Annotations in Official State Codes Are Not Copyrightable by the GovernmentThe United States Supreme Court, in a 5-4 decision, ruled that Georgia could not copyright annotations to its official state law code.
- 4/21/2020Intellectual Property Alert: Supreme Court Decision Will Have Significant Impact on Inter Partes Review AppealsIn Thryv, Inc. v. Click-to-Call Technologies, LP, the Supreme Court recently held that a decision by the Patent Trial and Appeal Board to institute an inter partes review (IPR) of a patent cannot be reviewed on appeal, even if the institution of the IPR was in violation of the one-year time bar in the America Invents Act.
- 4/2/2020Intellectual Property Alert: States Still Enjoy Sovereign Immunity in Federal Copyright Cases for NowThe United States Supreme Court issued a ruling last week and upheld state sovereign immunity by striking down the 1990 Copyright Remedy Clarification Act (CRCA) as unconstitutional.
- 2/21/2020Intellectual Property Alert: Where and How You Store Your Servers May Subject You to Patent Litigation in a Distant JurisdictionWith the growth of big data and cloud computing, more and more businesses are moving their computer servers offsite to large server farms or server clusters.
- 1/27/20202020 is likely to be a busy and influential year for intellectual property cases before the United States Supreme Court.