- Intellectual Property, Entertainment, and Technology Protection
- Bankruptcy and Creditors' Rights Litigation
- Business and Commercial
- Class Actions
- Consumer Finance
- Intellectual Property
- Professional Liability and Discipline
- Securities, Shareholder Disputes and Corporate Governance
- Trust and Estate Litigation
- University of Virginia School of Law, J.D., 2012
- Virginia Tax Review, editorial board member, 2010-2012
- Dickinson College, B.A., 2009, magna cum laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U. S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
- The Honorable Rebecca B. Connelly, United States Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Virginia, 2012-2014
Aaron is an associate in the Vorys Cleveland office and is a member of the litigation and technology and intellectual property groups. His practice focuses on representing clients in connection with the defense or prosecution of their intellectual property rights, including cases involving patent and trademark infringement, trade secrets, and non-competition agreements. Aaron also maintains a broad-based litigation practice representing public and private companies, as well as individual officers, directors, partners, and fiduciaries, in complex business disputes involving securities fraud violations, shareholder derivative actions, business torts, and class action defense.
His notable experience includes:
- Representation of manufacturer of automotive battery jump starters in patent infringement lawsuits
- Representation of technology security firm in patent infringement lawsuit
- Representation of a state university in a class action alleging violations of the Sherman Act, Lanham Act and Ohio's Deceptive Trade Practices Act
- Representation of a major brewery in a trademark infringement jury trial against a bottler of root beer branded similarly to the client’s iconic marks
- Representation of public entities and officers and directors thereof in merger strike suits and derivative shareholder class actions alleging violations of federal securities law
- Representation of businesses, financial institutions, and lenders in connection with consumer class actions alleging violations of Ohio's Uniform Commercial Code and Consumer Sales Practices Act
- Representation of law firms and attorneys in defense of claims of legal malpractice and other breaches of trust
- Representation of financial institutions and lenders in commercial contract and secured transaction disputes in state and federal courts, as well as administrative tribunals
- Representation of corporations and affinity groups challenging local charter provisions and initiatives purporting to strip corporations of constitutionally protected rights and privileges
Aaron received his J.D. from the University of Virginia School of Law, where he was a member of the editorial board of the Virginia Tax Review. He received his B.A. magna cum laude from Dickinson College, where he was Phi Beta Kappa.
Prior to joining Vorys, Aaron served as a law clerk to the Honorable Rebecca B. Connelly of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Virginia.
Professional and Community Activities
- Member, Dickinson College Admissions Volunteer Society (2014-present)
- Associate Member, The Kathleen M. O'Malley Inn of Court (2021 - present)
- Member, Intellectual Property Owners Association Patent Litigation Committee (2021 - present)
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association Leadership Academy (Class of 2020-2021)
- Member, Greater Cleveland Young Professionals Council of the American Cancer Society (2016-2019)
- Member, Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association Litigation Section Council (2016 – 2018)
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers In America 'Ones to Watch', Intellectual Property Law, 2022
- Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars, Litigation, 2022
- 1/12/2022Special Episode of the Vorys IP Podcast Focuses on Key IP Cases from 2021 & What to Look Out for in 2022In this special episode of the Vorys IP podcast, host Jeremy Harrison is joined by Aaron Williams, an associate in the Vorys Cleveland office.
- 1/4/2022Vorys is pleased to announce that 42 attorneys from the firm have been named either 2022 Ohio Super Lawyers or Rising Stars.
- 8/19/2021116 Vorys Attorneys Named to 2022 Best Lawyers in America List; 34 Vorys Attorneys Named to Best Lawyers’ “Ones to Watch” ListOne hundred and sixteen lawyers from Vorys were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in the Best Lawyers in America® 2022 edition. In addition, 34 Vorys attorneys were named to the 2022 Best Lawyers in America “Ones to Watch” list.
- 12/17/2020Vorys is pleased to announce that 31 attorneys from the firm have been named 2021 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 2/24/2021Vorys attorneys Bill Oldach and Aaron M. Williams hosted a complimentary webinar in which they discussed upcoming cases which will shape the contours of copyright, trademark, and patent law.
- 2/10/2021Vorys attorneys’ Iona Kaiser and Aaron Williams hosted a webinar in which they reviewed of some of the key Intellectual Property law developments and decisions from 2020.
- 11/20/2015Vorys attorneys Lisa Forbes and Aaron Williams were speakers at the 2015 Oil and Gas Seminar hosted by the Ohio State Bar Association.
- 4/14/2022Judge Alan Albright, District Court Judge for the Western District of Texas, granted summary judgment in a patent infringement lawsuit brought against Bumble Trading LLC (Bumble), the dating app company, finding the patents asserted against it were invalid under the rarely-used “original patent” requirement of 35 U.S.C. § 251(a).
- 1/20/2022Moving into 2022, the Supreme Court docket continues to add a number of high-profile intellectual property cases.
- 12/28/20212021 was a busy year for intellectual property practitioners.
- 4/6/2021On April 5, 2021, the Supreme Court issued its decision in Google LLC v. Oracle America, Inc. Oracle had accused Google of infringing Oracle’s copyright in portions of Java source code for use in Google’s Android smartphones.
- 1/28/2021Recently, the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit and the Court of Appeals of Ohio for the Second Appellate District each issued rulings addressing the scope of Ohio’s Uniform Trade Secrets Act (OUTS).
- 1/6/2021The United States Supreme Court has a full docket of intellectual property cases before it in 2021.
- 4/28/2020Intellectual Property Alert: The Supreme Court Expands the Government Edicts Doctrine in its Ruling that Annotations in Official State Codes Are Not Copyrightable by the GovernmentThe United States Supreme Court, in a 5-4 decision, ruled that Georgia could not copyright annotations to its official state law code.
- 4/21/2020Intellectual Property Alert: Supreme Court Decision Will Have Significant Impact on Inter Partes Review AppealsIn Thryv, Inc. v. Click-to-Call Technologies, LP, the Supreme Court recently held that a decision by the Patent Trial and Appeal Board to institute an inter partes review (IPR) of a patent cannot be reviewed on appeal, even if the institution of the IPR was in violation of the one-year time bar in the America Invents Act.
- 4/2/2020Intellectual Property Alert: States Still Enjoy Sovereign Immunity in Federal Copyright Cases for NowThe United States Supreme Court issued a ruling last week and upheld state sovereign immunity by striking down the 1990 Copyright Remedy Clarification Act (CRCA) as unconstitutional.
- 2/21/2020Intellectual Property Alert: Where and How You Store Your Servers May Subject You to Patent Litigation in a Distant JurisdictionWith the growth of big data and cloud computing, more and more businesses are moving their computer servers offsite to large server farms or server clusters.
- 1/27/20202020 is likely to be a busy and influential year for intellectual property cases before the United States Supreme Court.