- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, J.D., 2019, summa cum laude
- Ohio State Law Journal, online editor
- Capital University, Bachelors of Music, 2016, summa cum laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
Gretchen is an associate in the Vorys Columbus office and a member of the technology and intellectual property group. She is also a part of the firm’s privacy & data security practice. Prior to joining Vorys, Gretchen was a judicial extern for the Ohio Supreme Court, performing legal research, editing drafts for majority and dissenting opinions, and drafting memoranda analyzing discretionary and certified conflict appeals. She also has experience conducting legal research, drafting memoranda, and advising clients on the application of the GDPR as a legal extern for the Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation.
Gretchen received her J.D. summa cum laude from The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, where she was a member of the Student Bar Association and online editor of the Ohio State Law Journal. She received her Bachelors of Music summa cum laude from Capital University, conducting her student teaching in band and choir. She has been a performer and guest conductor with the Hilliard Community Band, and regularly sings with the Lancaster Chorale.
Honors & Awards
- CALI Excellence for the Future Awards in Trademarks, 2017
- CALI Excellence for the Future Awards in LAW II, 2017
- CALI Excellence for the Future Awards in Transactional Practice, 2017
- CALI Excellence for the Future Awards in Law & Religion, 2018
- CALI Excellence for the Future Awards in Advanced Constitutional Law, 2018
- CALI Excellence for the Future Awards in Privacy Law, 2018
- CALI Excellence for the Future Awards in Advanced Legal Writing, 2018
- CALI Excellence for the Future Awards in Big Data Law and Policy, 2018
- CALI Excellence for the Future Awards in Legal Negotiations, 2019
- CALI Excellence for the Future Awards in Energy Law, 2019
- The Ohio State University Chapter of The Order of the Coif, 2019
- John J. Adams Memorial Award, 2019
- 11/13/2019Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP is pleased to welcome nine new first-year associates to the firm. Matt Gutierrez, Amanda Miggo, Francisco Rolon and Gretchen Rutz joined the Columbus office; Jacob Bartlett, Megan Hurd and Stephen Self joined the Cincinnati office; Anne Hurd and Cauley Simmons joined the Cleveland office; and Reed Fryar and Joseph Markell joined the Houston office.
- 9/2/2020Client Alert: California Legislature Extends CCPA’s Employee and Business-to-Business Exemptions Until 2022On Sunday, August 30th, the California Legislature passed AB 1281, a bill extending the business-to-business and employee carve-outs to California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) compliance until January 1, 2022.
- 7/27/2020Privacy Alert: European Data Protection Board Releases FAQ on the Ruling Invalidating the EU-U.S. Privacy ShieldLeaving businesses scrambling, the European Union Court of Justice invalidated the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield on July 16, 2020. Late last week, the European Data Protection Board (EDPB) published twelve Frequently Asked Questions on the judgment.
- 7/16/2020On July 16, 2020, the Court of Justice of the European Union invalidated reliance on the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield program for the transfer of data from within the EU to entities within the U.S.
- 6/26/2020On June 24, the California Privacy Rights Act (CPRA) became eligible for the November 2020 general election ballot in California. The CPRA would expand and amend the recently-operable California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA).
- 6/5/2020On June 1, California Attorney General Xavier Becerra submitted the final proposed regulations to the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) to the California Office of Administrative Law (OAL).
- 5/7/2020U.S. Senators Roger Wicker, John Thune, Jerry Moran, and Marsha Blackburn recently announced their plan to introduce the COVID-19 Consumer Data Protection Act, seeking to provide Americans more transparency and control over the collection and use of “covered data” during the COVID-19 public health emergency.
- 4/14/2020Although the draft regulations implementing the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) have not been finalized, businesses are already encountering a wave of CCPA class action lawsuits.
- 3/12/2020Yesterday, California Attorney General Xavier Becerra released a third set of draft regulations (the New Modifications) implementing the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA).
- 2/18/2020Client Alert: New Push for Another U.S. Privacy Law as Washington State Senate Approves the Washington Privacy Act (SB 6281)Washington legislators recently reintroduced the Washington Privacy Act (WPA). Learn more about this draft bill.
- 11/21/2018Gretchen Rutz, an associate in the Vorys Columbus, authored an op-ed for The Columbus Dispatch titled “Column: Predictive analytics could help prevent student suicides.”