- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, J.D., 2019, summa cum laude
- Ohio State Law Journal, online editor
- Capital University, Bachelors of Music, 2016, summa cum laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
Gretchen is an associate in the Vorys Columbus office and a member of the technology and intellectual property group. She is also a part of the firm’s privacy & data security practice. Prior to joining Vorys, Gretchen was a judicial extern for the Ohio Supreme Court, performing legal research, editing drafts for majority and dissenting opinions, and drafting memoranda analyzing discretionary and certified conflict appeals. She also has experience conducting legal research, drafting memoranda, and advising clients on the application of the GDPR as a legal extern for the Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation.
Gretchen received her J.D. summa cum laude from The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, where she was a member of the Student Bar Association and online editor of the Ohio State Law Journal. She received her Bachelors of Music summa cum laude from Capital University, conducting her student teaching in band and choir. She has been a performer and guest conductor with the Hilliard Community Band, and regularly sings with the Lancaster Chorale.
Honors & Awards
- CALI Excellence for the Future Awards in Trademarks, 2017
- CALI Excellence for the Future Awards in LAW II, 2017
- CALI Excellence for the Future Awards in Transactional Practice, 2017
- CALI Excellence for the Future Awards in Law & Religion, 2018
- CALI Excellence for the Future Awards in Advanced Constitutional Law, 2018
- CALI Excellence for the Future Awards in Privacy Law, 2018
- CALI Excellence for the Future Awards in Advanced Legal Writing, 2018
- CALI Excellence for the Future Awards in Big Data Law and Policy, 2018
- CALI Excellence for the Future Awards in Legal Negotiations, 2019
- CALI Excellence for the Future Awards in Energy Law, 2019
- The Ohio State University Chapter of The Order of the Coif, 2019
- John J. Adams Memorial Award, 2019
- 11/13/2019Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP is pleased to welcome nine new first-year associates to the firm. Matt Gutierrez, Amanda Miggo, Francisco Rolon and Gretchen Rutz joined the Columbus office; Jacob Bartlett, Megan Hurd and Stephen Self joined the Cincinnati office; Anne Hurd and Cauley Simmons joined the Cleveland office; and Reed Fryar and Joseph Markell joined the Houston office.
- 2/18/2020Client Alert: New Push for Another U.S. Privacy Law as Washington State Senate Approves the Washington Privacy Act (SB 6281)Washington legislators recently reintroduced the Washington Privacy Act (WPA). Learn more about this draft bill.
- 11/21/2018Gretchen Rutz, an associate in the Vorys Columbus, authored an op-ed for The Columbus Dispatch titled “Column: Predictive analytics could help prevent student suicides.”