- Corporate and Business Organizations
- Franchising and Distribution
- Health Care
- Private Equity
- The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law, J.D., 2002, with Honors
Ohio State Law Journal, associate editor, 2000-2002
- The Ohio State University, MBA, 2002
- Ohio University, B.A., 1998, summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
Bar & Court Admissions
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
Bruce is a partner in the Vorys Columbus office and the chair of the firm’s M&A practice group. He regularly assists firm clients, including numerous Fortune 1000 corporations, local and regional health care providers and various state instrumentalities, in the structuring and negotiation of joint ventures and mergers and acquisitions involving both private and public companies. He also works with both public and private companies in matters involving corporate governance, director and officer liability, fiduciary duties, and risk management. He serves as corporate counsel to a number of closely-held businesses and nonprofit corporations, and in the course of such representation, frequently negotiates and prepares general corporate and commercial agreements. He has been loaned to multiple clients, including two of Ohio’s largest public companies and a large local health care provider, to join their in-house legal team for extended periods of time.
Representative transactions include:
- Represented Bob Evans Farms, Inc. in the acquisition of all of the issued and outstanding shares of Pineland Farms Potato Company, Inc.
- Represented Bob Evans Farms, Inc. in the acquisition of substantially all of the assets of Kettle Creations, Inc.
- Represented The Scotts Company LLC in multiple transactions with Monsanto Company relating to The Scotts Company LLC serving as the exclusive agent for the marketing, sale and distribution of Roundup products in the consumer lawn and garden market
- Represented The Scotts Company LLC in the sale of certain assets of Smith & Hawken, Ltd. to Target Brands, Inc.
- Represented Worthington Industries, Inc. in the acquisition of all of the issued and outstanding shares of Palmer Mfg. &Tank, Inc.
- Represented Worthington Industries, Inc. in the acquisition of certain assets of The Coleman Company, Inc.
- Represented M/I Homes, Inc. in the acquisition of substantially all of the assets of a Detroit, Michigan homebuilder, a Houston, Texas homebuilder, a San Antonio, Texas homebuilder and a Minneapolis, Minnesota homebuilder
- Represented Big Lots, Inc. in the acquisition by way of Plan of Arrangement of Liquidation World Inc., a publicly-traded company on the Toronto Stock Exchange
- Represented The Ohio State University on behalf of its Comprehensive Cancer Center – Arthur G. James Cancer Hospital and Richard J. Solove Research Institute in connection with the negotiation of the ORIEN Master Collaboration Agreement with the H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute Hospital, Inc. pursuant to which the parties formed the Oncology Research Information Exchange Network (ORIEN) to accelerate discoveries in cancer research
- Served as U.S. counsel to Kilmer Capital Partners in the acquisition of substantially all of the assets of English Bay Batter (2014) Ltd, a North American market leading bakery company producing premium gourmet cookies and frozen and refrigerated dough
- Served as U.S. counsel to Rolls-Royce Corporation and Rolls-Royce Energy Systems, Inc. in connection with the sale of Rolls-Royce’s energy gas turbine and compressor business to Siemens Energy, Inc.
Bruce received his J.D. with honors from The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law, where he served as the associate editor of the Ohio State Law Journal. He received his MBA from The Ohio State University and his B.A. summa cum laude from Ohio University, where he was Phi Beta Kappa.
Bruce is a frequent speaker regarding issues impacting businesses as well as colleges and universities. Most recently he co-presented “Affiliated Entities” at the Ohio Attorney General's 24th Annual Conference for Public College and University Attorneys.
Bruce was a member of the Leadership Columbus class of 2011. He also is a member of the Board of Directors of Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Ohio, where he currently serves as both the Secretary and a member of the Executive Committee. Paige has also dedicated significant time to Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Ohio as a “Big Brother” and mentor.
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, Corporate Law, 2017-2022
- Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus, 2015
- Columbus Business First, Forty under 40, April 2011
- Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars, Health Care, 2011-2012, 2016; Corporate, 2015
- 8/19/2021116 Vorys Attorneys Named to 2022 Best Lawyers in America List; 34 Vorys Attorneys Named to Best Lawyers’ “Ones to Watch” ListOne hundred and sixteen lawyers from Vorys were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in the Best Lawyers in America® 2022 edition. In addition, 34 Vorys attorneys were named to the 2022 Best Lawyers in America “Ones to Watch” list.
- 6/11/2021Vorys Advises Worthington Industries, Inc. in Acquisition from Affiliates of MiddleGround Capital, LLCVorys recently advised Worthington Industries, Inc. in connection with the acquisition by its Steel Processing business segment, along with its 55% consolidated joint venture TWB Company, LLC, of certain assets of the Shiloh Industries U.S. BlankLight® business, a provider of laser welded solutions.
- 9/10/2020Vorys Launches Initiative for Business Empowerment to Support Businesses Owned by Racial and Ethnic MinoritiesVorys today announced the launch of a new innovative program aimed at supporting businesses owned by racial and ethnic minorities.
- 8/20/2020112 Vorys Attorneys Named to 2021 Best Lawyers in America List; 26 Vorys Attorneys Named to Best Lawyers’ Inaugural “Ones to Watch” ListOne hundred and twelve lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in the Best Lawyers in America® 2021 edition. In addition, 26 Vorys attorneys were named to the inaugural Best Lawyers in America “Ones to Watch” list.
- 8/15/2019One hundred and thirteen lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2020.
- 8/15/2018One hundred and thirteen lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2019.
- 8/17/2017One hundred and eight lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2018.
- 8/15/2016One-hundred and eleven lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2017.
- 12/2/2015Vorys is pleased to announce that 63 attorneys from the firm have been named 2016 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 12/3/2014Vorys is pleased to announce that 74 attorneys from the firm have been named 2015 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 4/16/2013Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP recently advised the Pressure Cylinders segment of Worthington Industries, Inc. in connection with its acquisition of the business of Palmer Mfg. &Tank, Inc., for $113,500,000.
- 6/25/2020Vorys Partners Bryan Farkas, Elia Woyt, Tiffany Cobb and Bruce Paige hosted a webinar on June 25, 2020 covering the nuts and bolts of asset purchases in bankruptcies and receiverships.
- 6/23/2021A common investment strategy for a private equity firm is to acquire a portfolio company in a certain industry as a platform investment, and then for the portfolio company to acquire a competitor as an “add-on”.
- 2/9/2021It is becoming more common for sellers to insert provisions into a purchase agreement that require the buyer to disclaim reliance on any extra-contractual representations and warranties made by a seller to a buyer.
- 10/28/2020On October 2, 2020, the Small Business Administration (the SBA) released SBA Procedural Notice Control No. 5000-20057 (the Procedural Notice) regarding Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) Loans and changes in ownership.
- 10/12/2020Members of the Vorys M&A and Private Equity Groups authored a white paper that addresses attorney-client communication issues in M&A and more.