- The University of Toledo College of Law, J.D., 1986
- University of Dayton, B.A., 1983, cum laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
Sheila is a partner in the Vorys Columbus office and a member of the finance, energy and real estate group. Her practice focuses on general real estate, real estate development and real estate financing. In addition, she represents clients in the energy sector with oil and gas transactions, wind farm development, and financings of energy projects. She also manages and works in the firm's oil and gas title opinion practice, which focuses primarily on properties located in the Utica shale play. Sheila's experience also includes advising clients on real property issues relating to environmental remediation compliance and bankruptcy proceedings.
Career highlights include:
- Fellow in the American College of Real Estate Lawyers
- Representing developers in real estate development projects, including residential subdivisions, golf course developments, and mixed use developments
- Representing clients in site selection and development of processing facilities and data centers
- Representing borrowers in the refinancing of multimillion-dollar projects
- Representing one of Ohio’s largest oil and gas producers in a multimillion-dollar joint venture for the exploration and production of oil and natural gas
- Representing various energy companies and oil and gas producers in significant title matters, easement issues and other real estate concerns in connection with the exploration and production of oil and natural gas
- Representing lenders in connection with financing of power generation plants
- Representing lenders in connection with the financing of oil and gas
Sheila is a past Chair of the Real Property Law Section of the Ohio State Bar Association, and a member of the Columbus Bar Association.
Sheila is also active with the Energy & Mineral Law Foundation (EMLF), where she serves on the Executive Committee.
Sheila is a frequent lecturer at OSBA presentations and has spoken on a variety of real property topics, including annexation, zoning and land use matters, title matters, and drafting and reviewing documents for commercial real property transactions. She has also appeared frequently on “Legal Eagles” on WCMH-TV, Channel 4, the NBC affiliate in Columbus, Ohio. Sheila also presents at EMLF seminars on title issues and title standards. She has authored articles on real property matters and on oil and gas issues and related topics.
Sheila received her J.D. from The University of Toledo College of Law and her B.A. cum laude from the University of Dayton.
Professional and Community Activities
- American College of Real Estate Lawyers, Co-Vice Chair, Programs Committee
- Ohio State Bar Association, Real Property Law Section Council, Chair, 2013- 2015; District 7 Representative, 2002-present; Secretary 2009-2011; Vice Chair, 2011-2013
- Energy & Mineral Law Foundation, Member; Strategic Planning Committee, 2013, 2018; Trustee, 2014-present; Executive Committee, 2015-present
- American Association of Professional Landmen, Member
- Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation, Member
- Commercial Real Estate Women (CREW) Columbus, Member, 1997- present
- CREW Network, National Recognition Committee, 2010
- CREW Network, National Education Committee, 2007-2009
- Columbus Bar Association, Young Lawyers’ Committee, Co-Chair, 1986-1989
- Central Ohio Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, Committee Event Chair, 1994-present
Honors & Awards
- Fellow of the American College of Real Estate Lawyers since 2012
- Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus, 2010-2015, 2017-2018
- The Best Lawyers in America, Real Estate Law, 2010-2021
- The Best Lawyers Consumers Guide for Real Estate
- Fellow of the Columbus Bar Foundation since 2005
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- 2/1/2021Gartland Profiled In University of Toledo College of Law Story Titled “Optimizing Flexibility Creates Rewarding & Expanding Practice”Sheila Nolan Gartland, a partner in the Vorys Columbus office and a member of the finance, energy and real estate group, was profiled in a story for the University of Toledo College of Law alumni magazine titled “Optimizing Flexibility Creates Rewarding & Expanding Practice.”
- 11/24/2020Vorys announced that Sheila Nolan Gartland, a partner in the firm’s Columbus office, has been elected to the Board of Governors of the American College of Real Estate Lawyers (ACREL).
- 8/20/2020112 Vorys Attorneys Named to 2021 Best Lawyers in America List; 26 Vorys Attorneys Named to Best Lawyers’ Inaugural “Ones to Watch” ListOne hundred and twelve lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in the Best Lawyers in America® 2021 edition. In addition, 26 Vorys attorneys were named to the inaugural Best Lawyers in America “Ones to Watch” list.
- 8/3/2020Vorys recently advised Abercrombie & Fitch Co. and its wholly-owned indirect subsidiary Abercrombie & Fitch Management Co. in connection with the Rule 144A/Regulation S offering.
- 8/15/2019One hundred and thirteen lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2020.
- 8/15/2018One hundred and thirteen lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2019.
- 8/17/2017One hundred and eight lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2018.
- 3/28/2017This year, 54 Vorys attorneys were listed in the 2017 Columbus CEO “Top Lawyers” List.
- 8/15/2016One-hundred and eleven lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2017.
- 8/17/2015One-hundred and eighteen lawyers from Vorys were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2016.
- 7/1/2015Vorys is pleased to announce that Sheila Nolan Gartland, a partner in the Columbus Office and a member of the finance, energy and real estate group, was recently appointed to the Energy & Mineral Law Foundation (EMLF) Executive Committee.
- 8/18/2014One-hundred and ten lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2015.
- 8/14/2013One hundred and eleven lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2014.
- 4/16/2013Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP recently advised the Pressure Cylinders segment of Worthington Industries, Inc. in connection with its acquisition of the business of Palmer Mfg. &Tank, Inc., for $113,500,000.
- 8/23/2012One hundred and twenty-six lawyers from Vorys were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2013.
- 3/20/2012Vorys announced that Sheila Nolan Gartland, a partner in the firm’s Columbus office, has been inducted into the American College of Real Estate Lawyers. Admission to the organization is by invitation only after a rigorous screening process, making it the premier organization of real estate lawyers in the United States.
- 5/13/2020On May 13, 2020, Vorys Partner Sheila Nolan Gartland participated in a panel discussion related to how the coronavirus impacted the Central Ohio real estate market.
- 6/10/2019Vorys Partners Phil Downey, Sheila Nolan Gartland and Mike Settineri presented at the 40th Annual Institute Energy & Mineral Law Foundation on June 10, 2019.
- 6/9/2019Vorys Partners Sheila Noland Gartland and Mike Settineri presented at the Energy & Mineral Law Foundation (EMLF) Annual Institute on June 9-11, 2019.
- 8/23/2018Three Vorys partners presented at the 2018 Ohio State Bar Association Convention/Legal Forum on August 23-24, 2018.
- 2/3/2017Vorys Partners Sheila Gartland and Dan Minor were speakers at the 2017 Real Property Law Institute hosted by the Columbus Bar Association.
- 8/13/2015Vorys Partners Sheila Gartland and Donald Shuller were speakers at the Advanced Topics in Commercial Real Estate Law Seminar hosted by the Ohio State Bar Association in Cleveland on August 13, 2015 and in Columbus on August 20, 2015.
- 5/1/20152015 Ohio State Bar Association Convention - Best Practices for Busy Attorneys: Real Property & Oil & Gas IssuesVorys attorneys Sheila Gartland and Maurie Donnelly were speakers at the 2015 Ohio State Bar Association Convention CLE Seminar on April 30, 2015.
- 3/4/2015Vorys presented a Financial Institutions Summit on March 4, 2015 in Cleveland, Ohio.
- 5/1/2014Vorys attorneys Sheila Nolan Gartland and Ilya Batikov presented an oil and gas law update at the Ohio State Bar Association Annual Convention on May 1, 2014.
- 3/28/2014Vorys Partner Sheila Gartland presented to the American College of Real Estate Lawyers on March 28, 2014.
- 4/15/2013Vorys attorneys Shelia Gartland, Jon Airey and Zachary Simpson spoke at the Title and Development Issues in the Utica Shale – Ohio seminar on April 15 and 16, 2013. Vorys Partner Greg Russell served as the chair of the seminar.
- 2/8/2013Vorys partner Shelia Nolan Gartland spoke at the 2013 Real Property Law Institute presented by the Columbus Bar Association on Friday, February 8, 2013.
- 12/19/2012Vorys attorneys Sheila Gartland and Lija Kaleps-Clark spoke at the 20th Annual Bradley J. Schaeffer Real Property Institute presented by the Ohio State Bar Association on December 19, 2012.
- 7/18/2012Vorys partners Sheila Nolan Gartland, Greg Russell and Scott Ziance participated in Central Ohio NAIOP’s seminar, Utica Shale Play – What it Means for Real Estate Professionals on July 18.
- 3/14/2012Several Vorys attorneys presented at HalfMoon LLC’s Development of the Utica Shale in Ohio seminar on March 14.
- 3/6/2012Vorys partners Shawn Flahive, Sheila Nolan Gartland and Judy Marsh presented at the Ohio Bankers League’s Shale 2012 event on March 6.
- 3/11/2021On Wednesday, March 10th, the House passed the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021, the third major federal COVID-19 relief act following the CARES Act and the December 2020 Consolidated Appropriations Act. President Biden is expected to sign it into law Friday.
- 12/27/2020Late on December 27, the President signed a $900 billion relief package that will provide aid to individuals and businesses still struggling with the economic impact of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Both the House and the Senate passed the proposal last week.
- 3/23/2020Ohio's "Stay Home Order" requires all persons in Ohio to stay at their place of residence except when engaged in certain defined “Essential Activities,” “Essential Governmental Functions,” or to participate in “Essential Businesses and Operations."
- 3/22/2020Today, March 22, 2020, the Ohio Department of Health Director Amy Acton, MD, MPH, issued a Director’s Stay at Home Order.
- 3/21/2020DHS Issues Advisory “Memorandum on Identification of Essential Critical Infrastructure Workers During COVID-19 Response”On March 19, 2020, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) published a memorandum regarding “essential critical infrastructure workers."
- 11/25/2019In December 2018, Governor Kasich signed into law S.B. 263 to, among other things, enact the Notary Public Modernization Act (the Act), which Act became effective on September 20, 2019 (the effective date) with respect to updates to Chapter 147 of the Ohio Revised Code (O.R.C.).
- 5/2014Sheila Nolan Gartland co-authored an article titled “Real Estate Lawyers in Non-Real Estate Transactions” in the May 2014 edition of The Practical Real Estate Lawyer.
- 11/13/2013Oil and Gas Alert: New Procedural Step Added in Ohio to the Lease Forfeiture Statute, Dormant Mineral ActA new Ohio House Bill (HB 72) adds a requirement that a lessor or surface owner record a “notice of failure to file” in connection with the statutory procedures used to forfeit an oil and gas lease; and abandon mineral interests to a surface owner. HB 72 focuses on the modernization of the county recorders’ offices and appears innocuous. However, it includes a new step to the procedures relating to the oil and gas lease forfeiture statute (Ohio Revised Code 5301.332) and to the Dormant Mineral Act (Ohio Revised Code 5301.56). As such, surface owners, lessors, lessees, operators, lawyers, landmen and the like should be aware of the additional step and incorporate it into their practices.
- 8/2013Our August issue of the Vorys Shale Report provides an overview of a recent court decision that enforces a change-in-ownership provision contained in an oil and gas lease. The newsletter also provides a report on activity in the Utica and Point Pleasant Shales.
- 7/2013Our July issue of the Vorys Shale Report provides an overview of how energy companies are facing specific, targeted scrutiny from the federal government on wage-and-hour issues.
- September 2012Vorys partners Sheila Nolan Gartland and Reginald Jackson served as editors for the American Bankruptcy Institute’s When Gushers Go Dry: The Essentials of Oil & Gas Bankruptcy.
- 4/17/2012Sheila Nolan Gartland, a partner in the Columbus office, details Ohio's history of oil and gas production in this article, which was originally published in the November/December edition of Ohio Lawyer, a publication of the Ohio State Bar Association.
- Nov/Dec 2011Sheila Nolan Gartland, a partner in the firm’s Columbus office, authored an article on Ohio’s oil and gas regulatory structure for the November/December 2011 edition of the Ohio State Bar Association’s Ohio Lawyer magazine. Gregory D. Russell and John K. Keller, partners in the firm’s Columbus office, authored an article entitled “Ohio’s Dormant Mineral Act,” which also appeared in the November/December 2011 edition.