- Bankruptcy and Creditors' Rights
- Corporate and Business Organizations
- Energy and Utilities
- Financial Institutions
- Real Estate
- Columbia University School of Law, J.D., 2001
Journal of East European Law, Managing Editor
- Canisius College, B.A., 1998, summa cum laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
Elia is a partner in the Vorys Akron office, where he practices in the finance, energy and real estate group.
In his energy practice, Elia represents lenders and developers on various energy infrastructure matters, including power generation facilities and midstream facilities. His energy project experience encompasses structuring, financing, engineering, procurement, construction, operations, maintenance, supply, natural gas transportation service, power purchase, transactional and other commercial arrangements.
Elia also counsels clients on various other transactions, including financing transactions, debt restructurings, real estate and construction matters, sales and purchases of financially distressed businesses and sales and purchases of loans. He has significant experience representing creditors and other parties in bankruptcy proceedings, receiverships and commercial litigation matters and regularly advises financial institutions with respect to creditors’ rights law and Article 9 of the Uniform Commercial Code. Elia regularly speaks on loan documentation, loan restructurings, receiverships, bankruptcies and lender liability.
Elia is a member of the Turnaround Management Association.
Elia received his J.D. from Columbia University School of Law, where he was a Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar and the managing editor of the Journal of East European Law. He received his B.A. summa cum laude from Canisius College.
Professional and Community Activities
- Salvation Army of Summit County, Advisory Board, 2014-present
Honors & Awards
- Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars, Bankruptcy and Creditor/Debtor Rights, 2005 and 2007, 2010-2016
- The Best Lawyers in America, Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/ Insolvency and Reorganization Law, 2017-2020
- Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar, 1998-2001
- 8/15/2019One hundred and thirteen lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2020.
- 8/15/2018One hundred and thirteen lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2019.
- 8/17/2017One hundred and eight lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2018.
- 8/15/2016One-hundred and eleven lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2017.
- 12/2/2015Vorys is pleased to announce that 63 attorneys from the firm have been named 2016 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 1/20/2015In December 2014, Ohio Governor John Kasich signed into law Substitute House Bill No. 9, which significantly revises Ohio’s law of Receiverships. Vorys released a comprehensive analysis of the amended law.
- 12/3/2014Vorys is pleased to announce that 74 attorneys from the firm have been named 2015 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 12/4/2013Eighty-one attorneys from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP have been named 2014 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars. 57 Vorys attorneys were named 2014 Ohio Super Lawyer and 24 Vorys attorneys were named 2014 Ohio Rising Stars.
- 12/17/2012Seventy-Seven attorneys from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease have been named 2013 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 6/25/2020Vorys Partners Bryan Farkas, Elia Woyt, Tiffany Cobb and Bruce Paige hosted a webinar on June 25, 2020 covering the nuts and bolts of asset purchases in bankruptcies and receiverships.
- 6/10/2020Vorys attorneys Drew Parobek, Elia Woyt and Jeff Bieszczak presented a complimentary webinar discussing loan modifications and forbearance agreements.
- 6/4/2019A Banker’s Guide to a Successful Commercial Loan Workout Webinar Series: Loan Modification and Forbearance AgreementsVorys was proud to host a complimentary webinar series for commercial bankers. Attorneys Jeff Bieszczak, Drew Parobek and Elia Woyt presented the second webinar, titled “Loan Modification and Forbearance Agreements,” on June 4, 2019.
- 3/4/2015Vorys presented a Financial Institutions Summit on March 4, 2015 in Cleveland, Ohio.
- 3/7/2012Vorys partner Elia Woyt spoke at the National Business Institute’s Negotiating Real Estate Loan Terms and Workout Options seminar on March 7.
- 4/10/2020The Federal Reserve has continually promised to use its full range of tools to support the flow of credit to households and businesses to counter the economic impact of COVID-19 and to promote a swift economic recovery.
- 1/20/2015In December 2014, Ohio Governor John Kasich signed into law Substitute House Bill No. 9, which significantly revises Ohio’s law of Receiverships. Vorys today released a comprehensive analysis of the amended law. Key features of the amendments are summarized below.
- April 2006