- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 1995
- Duke University, B.S., 1985, magna cum laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
Mike is a partner in the Vorys Washington, D.C. office and member of the technology and intellectual property group. He began his career serving for six years as a patent examiner in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) handling an active optoelectronic devices and systems docket. Now, Mike brings unique patent solutions from defensive and offensive perspectives. He helps clients harvest innovation, protect products and services, and monetize or defend patent portfolios.
Throughout his career, Mike has helped companies of all sizes, universities and individuals create IP strategies for protection and to enhance their freedom-to-operate in computer, electronics and sustainable technologies. He routinely works with company officers and engineers to identify patentable inventions and build strategic patent portfolios. Mike also has significant experience as lead counsel in complex inter partes review proceedings, reissue and ex parte patent reexamination before the USPTO.
Mike has deep experience prosecuting U.S. and international patent applications. This includes developing worldwide patent portfolios that track company business goals and writing and prosecuting numerous patent applications covering inventions in cloud computing, machine learning, computer networking (Internet and World-Wide Web technologies), browsers, geographical information systems, graphics processing, high-speed optical communications, solar, wind and tidal energy, and data mining. Mike has also helped clients sell, license or enforce hundreds of patents.
Mike serves as an adjunct professor at the Georgetown University Law Center, where he teaches patent licensing.
Mike received his J.D. from the Georgetown University Law Center and his B.S. magna cum laude, in physics, from Duke University.
Prior to joining Vorys, Mike was the co-founder of the boutique IP law firm Shami Messinger PLLC and earlier in his career he served as a partner at other IP boutique and general practice law firms.
- 5/25/2022In the latest episode of the Vorys IP Podcast, Guest Host and Vorys Partner Mike Messinger is joined by Judy Marsh, a partner in the Columbus office and Carey Jordan, chair of the firm's IP group, in our second episode about patent assertion entities.
- 4/27/2022New Episode of Vorys IP Podcast Highlights What to Do When a Patent Assertion Entity 'Comes Knocking'In this episode of the Vorys IP podcast, Vorys attorneys Jeremy Harrison and Mike Messinger provide an introduction to patent assertion entities – otherwise known as "patent trolls."
- 9/15/2021Vorys announced today that Khaled Shami and Mike Messinger have joined the firm as partners in the intellectual property (IP) group in the Washington, D.C. office.
- 1/26/2022Vorys Partners Mike Messinger, Laura Geyer and Khaled Shami hosted a webinar which will examined how to scope ongoing R&D and flag pertinent intellectual property (IP).
- 6/29/2022Last week the new USPTO Director, Katherine Vidal, issued an interim procedure for the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) that oversees post-grant proceedings.
- 11/19/2021Yesterday senior U.S. Patent and Trademark (USPTO) officials reported on performance of the Office before the Patent Public Advisory Committee (PPAC).
- 10/27/2021This week, over a thousand attendees are expected at the annual meeting of the American Intellectual Property Law Association. Today in a pre-meeting briefing, senior U.S. Patent and Trademark (USPTO) officials gave updates on key areas of ongoing activity by the Office.