- University of Akron School of Law, J.D., 2012, magna cum laude
- The Ohio State University, B.S., 2009, cum laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
Jessica is an associate in the Vorys Akron office and a member of the litigation group and Vorys eControl. Her practice focuses on all facets of intellectual property litigation in federal courts throughout the country and general business litigation.
As part of the Vorys eControl team, Jessica counsels businesses on issues related to e-commerce and online brand protection. Jessica also works with manufacturers on Minimum Advertised Pricing policies and issues related to Resale Price Maintenance. Jessica is also a member of Vorys’ drone and autonomous vehicle working group, with a focus on drones and intellectual property.
Her notable experiences include:
- Successfully defeating a motion for preliminary injunction in a trademark infringement matter
- Successfully representing a local business in a three day jury trial that resulted in a favorable verdict for the business
- Successfully representing a local hospital before the trial court, the appellate court, and The Ohio Supreme Court
- Defending multiple class action lawsuits in federal courts throughout Ohio
- Securing a significant monetary judgment in a six day contested damages hearing in an internet defamation matter
Jessica is also an alumna of Torchbearers, a young professionals' organization that focuses on fostering young leaders in the Akron community and is an active member of DRI, the leading organization of defense attorneys and in-house counsel in the country.
Jessica received her J.D. magna cum laude from The University of Akron School of Law, where she was assistant editor to the Intellectual Property Journal for the Akron Law Review and served as an advocate on Akron’s trial team. Jessica received her B.S. cum laude in business administration from The Max M. Fisher College of Business at The Ohio State University.
Professional and Community Activities
- Torchbearers’ Young Professionals Organization, Class of 2014
- DRI, Young Lawyers’ Steering Committee, 2013 - Present
- Goodwill Industries of Akron board-shadow for 2015
Honors & Awards
- Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars, Business Litigation, 2018-2019
- 12/5/2018Vorys is pleased to announce that 48 attorneys from the firm have been named 2019 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 12/5/2017Vorys is pleased to announce that 56 attorneys from the firm have been named 2018 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 4/18/2016Jessica Knopp Cunning, an associate in the Vorys Akron office and member of the litigation group, was featured in a Shopper Marketing story on the potential use of drones for retail deliveries.
- 5/23/2017Statutes of Limitations and Equity: Emerging Defenses to Lease Busting Claims Based on Ancient Gaps in ProductionVorys attorneys Peter Lusenhop, Ilya Batikov and Jessica Knopp Cunning were speakers at the 38th Annual Energy & Mineral Law Foundation Institute on May 23, 2017.
- 10/25/2018Advice on Business Development, Seizing Opportunities, and the Work–Life Balance for Young Women LawyersJessica Cunning, an associate in the Vorys Akron office, co-authored an article for The Voice, a publication of DRI.
- 9/1/2016The new small unmanned aerial aircraft (UAS) rule, 14 C.F.R. §107 et seq., is effective as of August 29, 2016. This rule permits the flying of drones for commercial purposes provided that the drone operations and pilot meet the requirements of the new small UAS rule.
- 12/29/2015Jessica Knopp Cunning, an associate in the Vorys Akron office and a member of the litigation group, authored an article for The Whisper, DRI's Young Lawyers Committee Newsletter titled "A 'Drone’s Eye' View of State Laws Governing Drone Use.”
- 10/5/2015Jessica Knopp Cunning, an associate in the Vorys Akron office and a member of the litigation group, authored an article for Crain’s Cleveland Business titled “The Future of Drones is Now, Even if the Law is a Bit in Limbo.”
- 2012The Unconstitutionality of Ohio’s House Bill 125: The Heartbeat Bill as Analyzed Under the First Amendment of the United States ConstitutionJessica Knopp, an associate in the Vorys Akron office and a member of the litigation group, authored an article for the Akron Law Journal titled “The Unconstitutionality of Ohio’s House Bill 125: The Heartbeat Bill as Analyzed Under the First Amendment of the United States Constitution.”