Bob is a partner in the Vorys Columbus office. His litigation practice focuses on commercial disputes and is national in scope. Bob has more than 30 years of litigation experience, defending clients in dozens of class action lawsuits raising issues arising from computer data breaches, employment practices, the payment of claims by employee benefit plans, securities offerings and the operations of large industrial facilities, among many others. He also has represented the interests of defendants in individual actions brought under various federal and state employment and consumer protection statutes, federal and state securities laws, the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 (ERISA), the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO), and the common law. In addition, Bob has represented corporations pursuing claims under the antitrust laws and other federal and state statutes and the common law.
A former journalist, Bob’s practice involves significant written advocacy at the trial and appellate levels, including briefing four appeals to the United States Supreme Court, and defense and prosecution of appeals to the Supreme Court of Ohio and numerous federal and state appellate courts.
Career highlights include:
- Representing 18 major retailers in antitrust litigation against Visa and MasterCard
- Defending dozens of putative class actions, brought in courts throughout the nation, arising from separate computer data breach incidents
- Defending a large national insurer in multiple ERISA and state law actions involving claims payment practices following termination of hospital contracts
- Defending a large manufacturer in federal and state court actions asserting claims under federal and state employment statutes
Bob is a member of the Columbus Bar Association.
Bob received his J.D. magna cum laude from Georgetown University Law Center, where he was managing editor of the Georgetown Law Journal. He received his B.A. from The Ohio State University, where he was editor of the Ohio State Lantern.
Bob clerked for The Honorable Oliver Gasch on the United States District Court for the District of Columbia.
Honors & Recognitions
Columbus CEO, Best Lawyers, Litigation - Commercial, 2022
Columbus CEO, Best Lawyers, Litigation - Labor and Employment, 2022
Ohio Super Lawyers, Business Litigation, 2008-2010, 2015-2022
Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus, 2010-2021
Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
Professional & Community Activities
Central Ohio Association of Civil Trial Attorneys, Past President
Ohioana Library Association, Board of Trustees, Past President
News & Insights
- Client alert
- Authored article2004
- Authored article1985
- Authored article1984
- Antitrust and Trade Regulation
- Antitrust and Trade Regulation Litigation
- Appellate Practice
- Class Actions
- Data Strategy, Privacy and Security
- Employment Litigation
- Labor and Employment
- Professional Liability and Discipline
- Securities, Shareholder Disputes and Corporate Governance
- Technology Transactions
Georgetown University Law Center, J.D. 1985, magna cum laude
Georgetown Law Journal, Managing Editor, 1984-1985
The Ohio State University, B.A., 1980
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
- The Honorable Oliver Gasch, United States District Court for the District of Columbia, 1985-1986.