- Antitrust and Trade Regulation
- Information Technology, New Media and Advertising
- Labor and Employment
- Antitrust and Trade Regulation Litigation
- Appellate Practice
- Business and Commercial
- Class Actions
- Constitutional Law and Media
- Corporate Takeovers and Changes of Control
- Data Privacy and Information Security
- Employment Litigation
- ERISA Litigation
- Insurance and Insurance Coverage
- Intellectual Property
- Securities, Shareholder Disputes, and Corporate Governance
- Privacy & Data Security
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D. 1985, magna cum laude
- Georgetown Law Journal, Managing Editor, 1984-1985
- The Ohio State University, B.A., 1980
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
- The Honorable Oliver Gasch, United States District Court for the District of Columbia, 1985-1986.
Bob is a partner in the Vorys Columbus office. His litigation practice focuses on commercial disputes and is national in scope. Bob has more than 30 years of litigation experience, defending clients in dozens of class action lawsuits raising issues arising from computer data breaches, employment practices, the payment of claims by employee benefit plans, securities offerings and the operations of large industrial facilities, among many others. He also has represented the interests of defendants in individual actions brought under various federal and state employment and consumer protection statutes, federal and state securities laws, the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 (ERISA), the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO), and the common law. In addition, Bob has represented corporations pursuing claims under the antitrust laws and other federal and state statutes and the common law.
A former journalist, Bob’s practice involves significant written advocacy at the trial and appellate levels, including briefing four appeals to the United States Supreme Court, and defense and prosecution of appeals to the Supreme Court of Ohio and numerous federal and state appellate courts.
Career highlights include:
- Representing 18 major retailers in antitrust litigation against Visa and MasterCard
- Defending dozens of putative class actions, brought in courts throughout the nation, arising from separate computer data breach incidents
- Defending a large national insurer in multiple ERISA and state law actions involving claims payment practices following termination of hospital contracts
- Defending a large manufacturer in federal and state court actions asserting claims under federal and state employment statutes
Bob is a member of the Columbus Bar Association.
Bob received his J.D. magna cum laude from Georgetown University Law Center, where he was managing editor of the Georgetown Law Journal. He received his B.A. from The Ohio State University, where he was editor of the Ohio State Lantern.
Bob clerked for The Honorable Oliver Gasch on the United States District Court for the District of Columbia.
Professional and Community Activities
- Central Ohio Association of Civil Trial Attorneys, Past President
- Ohioana Library Association, Board of Trustees, Past President
Honors & Awards
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Business Litigation, 2008-2010, 2015-2019
- Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus, 2010-2018
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- 12/5/2018Vorys is pleased to announce that 48 attorneys from the firm have been named 2019 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 12/5/2017Vorys is pleased to announce that 56 attorneys from the firm have been named 2018 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 3/28/2017This year, 54 Vorys attorneys were listed in the 2017 Columbus CEO “Top Lawyers” List.
- 12/2/2016Vorys is pleased to announce that 58 attorneys from the firm have been named 2017 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 12/2/2015Vorys is pleased to announce that 63 attorneys from the firm have been named 2016 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 12/3/2014Vorys is pleased to announce that 74 attorneys from the firm have been named 2015 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 4/22/2014Vorys attorneys Dan Balmert and Robert Webner were speakers at the Association of Defense Trial Attorneys 73rd Annual Meeting on April 22, 2014.