- Capital University Law School, J.D., 2009, summa cum laude, Order of the Curia
- University of Rochester, B.S.M.E., 1998, Phi Beta Kappa
Bar & Court Admissions
- Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
Mitch is an associate in the Vorys Columbus office and a member of the litigation group. Mitch is a member of Vorys' drone and autonomous vehicle working group, with a focus on the energy industry. He is also a member of the Ohio State Bar Association, the Columbus Bar Association and the Federal Bar Association.
Notable experience includes:
- Serving as second chair in a week-long jury trial concerning a franchise dispute, securing a favorable result for client.
- Serving as second chair in a bench trial concerning a commercial property dispute, securing a favorable result for client.
- Serving as first chair in a bench trial and subsequent appeal involving the Convention on The Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction, securing a favorable result for the client in both the trial court and the Sixth Circuit.
- Serving on multiple teams representing clients in construction law, product liability, commercial property and oil & gas lease disputes.
- Coordinating document production in patent litigation matters.
- Presenting at the Ohio State Bar Association Construction Law Forum CLE.
- Defending a Criminal Justice Act (CJA) client in a Sixth Circuit appeal and subsequent petition for Writ of Certiorari to the United States Supreme Court.
In late 2013, Mitch began a 4-month secondment as in-house counsel for one of the firm's clients. During his secondment, Mitch assisted the client with all legal matters involving a division of the company.
Mitch received his J.D. summa cum laude from Capital University Law School, where he was a member of the Order of Barristers and the Order of the Curia. He was also a member of the Capital University National Moot Court Team, competing in the ABA National Appellate Advocacy Competition. He received his B.S.M.E. from the University of Rochester, where he was Phi Beta Kappa and Tau Beta Pi.
Prior to joining Vorys, Mitch was a practicing mechanical engineer. In that role, his notable experiences included:
- Designing scales with capacities of up to 1.5 million pounds for weighing vehicles such as over-the-road trucks, off-highway trucks, and rail cars.
- Co-inventor of U.S. Patent No. 8,353,388.
Professional and Community Activities
- Fellow, Columbus Bar Foundation
- 3/9/2018On March 9, 2018 Vorys attorneys Tom Fusonie, Tony Ehler, Greg Russell, and Mitch Tobias spoke at the Ohio Oil & Gas Association Winter Meeting 2018.
- 8/10/2016Supreme Courts in two more states, Iowa and New Jersey, have recently ruled that CGL insurance provides coverage for damage to the completed project itself caused by defective work of subcontractors.