- Cornell University Law School, J.D., 1987
- Washington and Lee University, B.A., 1984, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
Russ is a partner in the Vorys Columbus office and the leader of the firm’s private companies practice. He has over 28 years of experience advising clients in the organization, finance, governance, acquisition and disposition of businesses, as well as general business and contract matters. Russ regularly counsels clients in equity exit and change-in-control strategies, inter-owner relations and disputes, and post-acquisition disputes. He also serves as lead corporate counsel to a number of private companies owned by multi-generational families, addressing governance, shareholder relations, inter-generational planning, structuring and transactions. In addition, he advises non-profit health care borrowers in tax-exempt bond financings and other capital markets financings.
Representative recent engagements include:
- Serves as primary corporate and transactional counsel to several single-family equity/investment firms
- Advises a multi-billion-dollar multi-generational family investment company as primary corporate counsel and serves as corporate secretary
- Advised a private company in the contentious purchase of a substantial block of shares from an exiting ownership group
- Counseled companies based in the UK, Germany, Canada and other countries in the establishment of U.S. business organizations, the acquisition and operation of multiple businesses in the U.S., and U.S. aspects of internal reorganizations and financing transactions
- Represented the majority owner in the establishment of a major league sports franchise expansion team
- Represented a major league sports team in the public/private restructuring of the ownership and operation of a major multi-purpose arena and entertainment facility
- Represented the owner, developer and operator of multiple ice rink facilities in a public/private ice rink development and operation arrangement
- Represented a multi-brand automobile dealer in the acquisition of several luxury brand dealerships
- Regularly advises a public industrial company in joint venture arrangements with U.S. and non-U.S. venture partners
- Regularly serves as borrower’s counsel to a major non-profit hospital, in more than 20 tax-exempt bond financings with an aggregate borrowed amount of over $1 billion
Russ participates in – and Vorys is an advisor member of – the Family Office Exchange, an authority on matters related to legacy wealth management. He is also a member of the American Bar Association and the Ohio State Bar Association.
Russ received his J.D. from Cornell University Law School and his B.A. magna cum laude from Washington & Lee University where he was a member of Phi Beta Kappa and Phi Eta Sigma.
Honors & Awards
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Corporate, 2017-2018
- The Best Lawyers in America, Corporate Law, 2009-2019
- Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus, 2010-2014, 2016-2018
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- 8/15/2018One hundred and thirteen lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2019.
- 12/5/2017Vorys is pleased to announce that 56 attorneys from the firm have been named 2018 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 8/17/2017One hundred and eight lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2018.
- 3/28/2017This year, 54 Vorys attorneys were listed in the 2017 Columbus CEO “Top Lawyers” List.
- 12/2/2016Vorys is pleased to announce that 58 attorneys from the firm have been named 2017 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 8/15/2016One-hundred and eleven lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2017.
- 8/17/2015One-hundred and eighteen lawyers from Vorys were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2016.
- 8/18/2014One-hundred and ten lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2015.
- 8/14/2013One hundred and eleven lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2014.
- 8/23/2012One hundred and twenty-six lawyers from Vorys were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2013.