Tyler is a partner in the Vorys Columbus office and a member of the Vorys eControl team and litigation group. Tyler’s practice focuses on counseling manufacturers and brands on issues related to eCommerce and online brand protection. As part of his eControl practice, Tyler works with brands to develop customized strategies for addressing the challenges they face related to the unauthorized sales of their products online and on online marketplaces.
Tyler has worked with over 50 brands, including multiple Fortune 500 companies, in helping them gain control of their sales online. Tyler’s experience includes working with brands to develop their eCommerce strategy, preparing authorized reseller policies for brands to implement within their distribution channels, assisting brands with implementing authorized reseller programs and communicating with their channel partners, developing enforcement strategies to remove unauthorized online sellers, and investigating and enforcing against unauthorized sellers on Amazon, Walmart, eBay and other online marketplaces.
Tyler has also filed lawsuits and obtained judgments against several unauthorized sellers, including on claims for violations of the Lanham Act, trademark infringement, unfair competition, false advertising, and tortious interference. His recent litigation experience against unauthorized sellers includes:
- Obtaining a six-figure judgment, award of attorneys’ fees, and injunction on behalf of a supplement company against an unauthorized seller on Amazon.
- An award of damages, attorneys’ fees, and injunction on behalf of an electronic accessories company against an unauthorized seller on Amazon and eBay.
- Obtaining multiple orders denying defendants’ motions to dismiss and holding that brands can assert claims against the unauthorized sellers listing their products on Amazon.
Tyler also has significant experience litigating other commercial, employment, intellectual property, non-compete and trade secret matters. He has tried cases in both federal and state court. His trial experience includes obtaining a seven-figure jury verdict in a misappropriation of trade secrets case and a large jury verdict on behalf of a real estate developer against a township.
Tyler received his J.D. from The University of Toledo summa cum laude, where he graduated as valedictorian and was an associate member and technical editor of the University of Toledo Law Review. He also participated on the Constitutional Law Moot Court Team. He received his B.A. cum laude from Denison University, where he also competed on the varsity track and cross country teams.
Honors & Recognitions
Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus, 2015
Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars, General Litigation, 2012-2016
Professional & Community Activities
Leadership Columbus Class of 2017
Denison University Varsity D Association, Board Member, 2015-present
Godman Guild Association, Board of Trustees, 2009-2013
News & Insights
- Client alert
- Client alert
- Authored article2006
The University of Toledo College of Law, J.D., 2006, summa cum laude, Valedictorian
University of Toledo Law Review, associate member, 2004-2005, technical editor, 2005-2006
Denison University, B.A., 2003, cum laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.