- The University of Toledo College of Law, J.D., 2006, summa cum laude, Valedictorian
University of Toledo Law Review, associate member, 2004-2005, technical editor, 2005-2006
- Denison University, B.A., 2003, cum laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
Tyler is a partner in the Vorys Columbus office and a member of the litigation group. His practice focuses on complex litigation and Vorys eControl.
Tyler’s litigation practices focuses on representing retailers and other businesses in commercial, employment, intellectual property, trademark infringement, and trade secret matters, including class and collective actions. He has tried cases in both federal and state court. He also serves as national coordinating counsel for a Fortune 500 company in toxic tort litigation.
Tyler’s eControl practice involves prosecuting actions against unauthorized online sellers. As part of his practice, he counsels clients on strategies for protecting their brand and reputation online, combating illegal online sales, and developing legal claims against unauthorized online sellers. He leads enforcement and litigation efforts against sellers who are selling online illegally, including bringing trademark, Lanham Act, and other claims against them.
Tyler’s recent litigation experience includes:
- Obtaining a substantial jury verdict in a misappropriation of trade secrets case
- Prosecuting trademark infringement, Lanham Act, and related claims on behalf of several clients
- Representing retailers and other businesses in numerous employment discrimination and wage and hour cases, including class and collective actions
- Representing numerous clients in intellectual property, trade secret, and non-compete disputes
- Obtaining a defense jury verdict on breach of contract and fraudulent misrepresentation claims on behalf of a large retail client
- Obtaining a large jury verdict on behalf of a real estate developer against a township
- Representing financial institutions in class actions and other commercial disputes
Tyler received his J.D. from The University of Toledo summa cum laude, where he graduated as Valedictorian and was an associate member and technical editor of the University of Toledo Law Review. He also participated on the Constitutional Law Moot Court Team. He received his B.A. cum laude from Denison University.
Professional and Community Activities
- Leadership Columbus Class of 2017
- Denison University Varsity D Association, Board Member, 2015-present
- Godman Guild Association, Board of Trustees, 2009-2013
Honors & Awards
- Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus, 2015
- Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars, General Litigation, 2012-2016
- 11/15/2018A California federal court has entered a final judgment that strengthens brands’ mission to rid online marketplaces of unauthorized sellers and preserve their brand equity.
- 8/28/2017The College of Law Practice Management, an international organization that recognizes excellence in law practice management, announced today that Vorys was a recipient of a 2017 InnovAction Award. Vorys was one of just two recipients of this year’s award.
- 12/2/2015Vorys is pleased to announce that 63 attorneys from the firm have been named 2016 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 1/2/2015Vorys is pleased to announce that John Kuhl, Jacob Mahle, Emily Pan, Tyler Pensyl and Peter Solimine have been named partners of the firm.
- 12/3/2014Vorys is pleased to announce that 74 attorneys from the firm have been named 2015 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 12/4/2013Eighty-one attorneys from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP have been named 2014 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars. 57 Vorys attorneys were named 2014 Ohio Super Lawyer and 24 Vorys attorneys were named 2014 Ohio Rising Stars.
- 12/17/2012Seventy-Seven attorneys from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease have been named 2013 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 12/20/2012Ohio Governor John Kasich today signed the Amended Substitute House Bill 380, which requires the full disclosure of all asbestos bankruptcy trust claims made by plaintiffs with asbestos lawsuits in Ohio. The law will go into effect 90 days from today.
- 12/14/2012The Ohio General Assembly this week passed Amended Substitute House Bill 380, which requires the full disclosure of all asbestos bankruptcy trust claims made by plaintiffs with asbestos lawsuits in Ohio. The bill is headed to Governor John Kasich’s desk; he is expected to sign the bill.