- Wake Forest University School of Law, J.D, 2008
- West Virginia University, B.A., 2005
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia (Inactive)
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
Mike is a partner in the Vorys Pittsburgh office and a member of the litigation group. Prior to joining Vorys, Mike served as the chair of the litigation department for a mid-size firm based in Pittsburgh. He has experience in a wide variety of litigation matters, including complex commercial disputes; antitrust and securities law matters; false advertising and anti-competitive claims; trade secrets and data security; and financial fraud and investment scheme claims. Mike has tried cases before juries and judges in both State and Federal courts, as well as various arbitration bodies.
Mike also has extensive experience counseling and defending clients in regulatory and compliance matters involving state and federal agencies, including DOJ and SEC investigations; OAG investigations, whistleblower actions; U.S. export laws; sanctions programs administered by the Office of Foreign Assets Controls (OFAC); Arms Export Control Act (AECA); the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR); and the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA).
Notable experience includes:
- Representing an Oil & Gas contractor in multi-million dollar breach of contract and mechanics’ lien action in connection with a pipeline construction project
- Representing a national bank in securities fraud and conspiracy litigation against other financial institutions relating to the collapse of the CDO market
- Representing a Pittsburgh-based technology company in a breach of contract suit in Federal Court in Ohio against Fortune 500 aluminum manufacturer
- Representing a Pittsburgh-based ticket broker in multi-state fraud investigation and associated civil litigation
- Representing a court-appointed Guardian Ad Litem in federal court litigation over establishment of a special needs trust in favor of permanently injured minor
- Representing financial advisor in dispute regarding the breakup of a Pittsburgh-based financial services partnership
- Representing investors in claims of securities law violations, fraud, unauthorized trading, and other claims before the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA)
- Representing investors investigating fraud and other corporate malfeasance following bankruptcy of prominent Pittsburgh-based restaurant franchisee
- Representing a Pittsburgh manufacturer in connection with data security breach involving client’s website
Mike received his J.D. from Wake Forest University School of Law and his B.A. from West Virginia University.
Honors & Awards
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyers, Rising Star, Business Litigation, 2018 - 2021
- 2/18/2021Vorys announced that Michael Oliverio has joined the firm as a partner in the Pittsburgh office. Prior to joining Vorys, Oliverio had served as the chair of the litigation group for a Pittsburgh-based law firm.
- 4/29/2021Vorys partner Mike Oliverio hosted webinar which discussed the Pennsylvania Supreme Court's Gregg v. Ameriprise Financial decision and its impact on Pennsylvania businesses.
- Fall 2021
- 8/27/2021On August 17, the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) filed a civil enforcement action in the United States District Court for the Northern District of California against former Medivation Inc. executive, Matthew Panuwat.
- 7/14/2021On Friday, June 25, 2021, Amec Foster Wheeler Energy Limited (Amec), a global engineering firm headquartered in London, entered into a deferred prosecution agreement (DPA) with the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ).
- 4/7/2021White Paper: The Impact of Gregg v. Ameriprise Financial on Strict Liability in Pennsylvania Consumer TransactionsVorys has released a white paper that provides the history behind the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania's long awaited decision in Gregg v. Ameriprise Financial and outlines how this decision affects Pennsylvania business owners.