Attorneys & Professionals
Nine Vorys attorneys have been named 2019 Lawyers of the Year by Best Lawyers. Each year, only a single lawyer in each specialty in each community is honored as the “Lawyer of the Year.” According to Best Lawyers, lawyers being honored as “Lawyer of the Year” have earned a high level of respect among other lawyers in the same communities and the same practice areas for their abilities, professionalism and integrity. The Vorys lawyers and their selections are listed below.
- Perry Doran has been named the 2019 Best Lawyers’ Columbus Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions – Defendants Lawyer of the Year. Perry is a partner and a member of the litigation practice group. He represents plaintiffs and defendants in state and federal proceedings across a number of different disciplines.
- Shawn Flahive has been named the 2019 Best Lawyers’ Columbus Corporate Governance Lawyer of the Year. He is a partner and a member of the firm’s corporate group. He performs services for corporations, partnerships and limited liability companies involving a wide range of legal issues.
- Anthony Weis has been named the 2019 Best Lawyers’ Columbus Mergers and Acquisitions Law Lawyer of the Year. Tony is a partner and a member of the corporate group. Tony represents and counsels public and private companies and financial institutions on a broad range of legal matters, including corporate governance, business formation, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, contract negotiations, disclosure and reporting under the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, and regulatory compliance.
- Jeffrey Marks has been named the 2019 Best Lawyers’ Cincinnati Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law Lawyer of the Year. Jeff is a partner and a member of the finance, energy and real estate group. He leads the Cincinnati office's bankruptcy and creditors’ rights practice and has more than 35 years of experience in bankruptcy and insolvency law.
- Kent Britt has been named the 2019 Best Lawyers’ Cincinnati Litigation - ERISA Lawyer of the Year. Kent is a partner and a member of the litigation practice group. His practice is focused on business and commercial litigation.
- Drew Parobek has been named the 2019 Best Lawyers’ Cleveland Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law Lawyer of the Year. Drew is a partner and a member of the finance, energy and real estate group. He is the chair of the firm’s bankruptcy and restructuring practice. Drew focuses his practice in the areas of bankruptcy, restructuring and workouts, commercial finance, commercial transactions and business law, with a strong emphasis on the representation of banks and other financial institutions.
- Michael Garvin has been named the 2019 Best Lawyers’ Cleveland Litigation - Intellectual Property Lawyer of the Year. Mike is a partner and a member of the litigation and technology and intellectual property groups. His practice focuses on intellectual property and technology litigation, particularly patent litigation, including the prosecution and defense of patent infringement cases in the computer, telecommunications, medical device, electrical and mechanical fields; the prosecution of anti-piracy cases; the prosecution of software performance cases; and the prosecution and defense of several copyright, trademark, trade secret and non-competition actions.
- Bret Treier has been named the 2019 Best Lawyers’ Akron Banking and Finance Law Lawyer of the Year. Bret is the managing partner of the Vorys Akron office and a member of the corporate group. His practice focuses primarily on representation of public and significant private companies, which he counsels regularly on a broad range of matters involving acquisitions, dispositions and other transactions, corporate governance, securities law compliance and reporting including executive compensation and disclosure issues, and public offerings of debt and equity securities.
- Charles Dougherty has been named the 2019 Best Lawyers’ Pittsburgh Patent Law Lawyer of the Year. Chip is of counsel and a member of the technology and intellectual property group. He has more than 18 years of experience counseling clients on patent strategy, technology licensing and litigation matters.
More than 100 Vorys attorneys were included on the 2019 Best Lawyers in America ® List. Click here to see a full listing of the firm’s 2019 Best Lawyers.