- Duquesne University School of Law, J.D., 1999, cum laude,
- Duquesne Law Review, comments editor, 1998-1999
- Pennsylvania State University, M.S., 1985
- Gannon University, B.S., Biology, 1983
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Chip is of counsel in the Vorys Pittsburgh office and a member of the technology and intellectual property group. He has more than 18 years of experience counseling clients on patent strategy, technology licensing and litigation matters. He also has represented clients in a wide range of IP litigation involving technology as diverse as pharmaceutical formulations (both branded and generic), DNA cloning and expression, medical devices, nutritional supplements, video streaming, financial services software, industrial hoist design, copyright ownership and horizontal drilling processes.
In addition to his work in the life sciences industry, Chip also works closely with clients to help develop trademark and branding strategies through registration, licensing and enforcement.
Chip is also an experienced negotiator focused on resolving disputes through arbitration or mediation wherever possible. He has served as a client representative for ADR proceedings and is a court appointed mediator on the panel of neutrals for the Western District of Pennsylvania.
Chip is the 2017-2018 president of the Pittsburgh Intellectual Property Law Association.
Chip received his J.D. cum laude from Duquesne University School of Law., his M.S. in Animal Science from Pennsylvania State University and his B.S. in biology from Gannon University.
Professional and Community Activities
- Mediation Council of Western Pennsylvania, Board of Directors, 2017 - present
- Carnegie Science Center, Board of Directors, 2014 - present; Executive Committee, 2017 - present
- Pittsburgh Intellectual Property Law Association, Executive Committee 2013 - present; President 2017-2018
- Q. Todd Dickinson Intellectual Property American Inn of Court, 2012 - present
- Duquesne Law Alumni Association
- Leadership Pittsburgh Inc., Program XXIII Graduate
- International Trademark Association (INTA), Trademark Mediators Network, Member
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania, ADR Panel of Neutrals: Intellectual Property, Member
- Duquesne University Law School, Adjunct Professor, 2000 - 2005
- American Registry of Professional Animal Scientists (ARPAS), Emeritus Member, 1987 - present
- Temple Ohav Shalom, Board of Directors, VP Social Action, 2008 - 2012
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, Pittsburgh Patent Law “Lawyer of the Year,” 2019
- The Best Lawyers in America, Litigation - Intellectual Property, 2016-2019
- The Best Lawyers in America, Litigation - Patent, Patent Law, 2017-2019
- The Best Lawyers in America, Biotechnology and Life Sciences Practice, 2018-2019
- The Best Lawyers in America, Trademark Law, 2019
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2016-2018
- IAM 1000 - Recommended as Leading Patent Practitioner, 2012 – present
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- 8/15/2018One hundred and thirteen lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2019.
- 8/15/2018Nine lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently named 2019 Lawyers of the Year by Best Lawyers.
- 4/2/2018Vorys announced that 10 intellectual property lawyers with diverse technical backgrounds will join a growing IP team at Vorys. The arrival of these new lawyers continues the firm’s strategic growth in the Pittsburgh market and in the IP arena.