- The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law, J.D., 1987, summa cum laude, with Honors, Order of the Coif
Ohio State Law Journal, issue planning editor, 1985-1987
- University of Virginia, B.A., 1984
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
- The Honorable Joseph P. Kinneary, United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio, 1987-1989
- The Honorable Alan Norris, United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, 1989-1990
Doug is a partner in the Vorys Columbus office and a member of the litigation group. His practice focuses on electronic discovery matters, and he is the head of the firm's electronic discovery practice group. Doug has represented numerous businesses with regard to the management and discovery of electronically stored information. He has represented both corporate and public entities in a variety of litigation matters, including multiple putative class actions.
Career highlights include:
- Formulating strategy for and overseeing document and electronically stored information collection, review, and productions by multiple corporate clients in antitrust litigation, employing a wide variety of advanced analytics including Technology Assisted Review (predictive coding) to assist in identifying responsive documents
- Formulating strategy for and overseeing document and electronically stored information production using Technology Assisted Review in an accelerated time frame for an FTC Second Request
- Regularly working with clients to develop cost-effective and defensible strategies for pre-litigation document management and post-litigation discovery obligations relating to documents and electronically stored information
- Regularly litigating electronic discovery issues in state and federal courts
- Successfully defending a large manufacturer in federal and state courts at the trial and appellate level in a variety of employment-related litigation, including two putative employment discrimination class actions and a sexual harassment jury trial
- Advising a large manufacturer on the development of validated selection systems for hiring and promotion and on the development of affirmative action plans
Doug is a member of The Sedona Conference Working Group on Electronic Document Retention & Production and is co-founder of the Columbus Chapter of the Friends of eDiscovery, a group of outside counsel, in-house counsel, IT professionals and members of the federal and state judiciary who meet to discuss ESI issues.
Doug speaks nationally and locally on electronic discovery issues.
Doug received his J.D. summa cum laude from The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law, where he was the issue planning editor of the Ohio State Law Journal and a member of the Order of the Coif. He received his B.A. from the University of Virginia.
Doug clerked for The Honorable Joseph P. Kinneary, United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio and for The Honorable Alan Norris, United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.
Professional and Community Activities
- Thurber House, Board of Trustees, Member, 2010-2017; Treasurer 2012-2016
- Columbus Council of World Affairs, Board of Trustees, Member, 2013-present
Honors & Awards
- Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus, 2017-2018
- The Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation, 2013-2019
- The Best Lawyers in America, Employment Law - Management, 2013-2019
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- 8/15/2018One hundred and thirteen lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2019.
- 8/17/2017One hundred and eight lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2018.
- 3/28/2017This year, 54 Vorys attorneys were listed in the 2017 Columbus CEO “Top Lawyers” List.
- 8/15/2016One-hundred and eleven lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2017.
- 8/17/2015One-hundred and eighteen lawyers from Vorys were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2016.
- 8/18/2014One-hundred and ten lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2015.
- 5/27/2014Doug Matthews and Gary Saalman, partners in the litigation group in the Vorys Columbus office, and Julie Brown, the firm’s litigation technology executive manager, were quoted throughout a Columbus C.E.O. article titled “E-Data Explosion in Business Law.”
- 8/14/2013One hundred and eleven lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2014.
- 8/23/2012One hundred and twenty-six lawyers from Vorys were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2013.
- 8/13/2017Vorys partner Doug Matthews presented at the 2017 ILTACON on August 13, 2017 in Las Vegas, Nevada.
- 9/29/2016Vorys Partner Doug Matthews was a speaker at the CLE presentation hosted by Driven on September 29, 2016.
- 9/1/2015Vorys attorneys Rodney Holaday and Doug Matthews were speakers at the 2015 International Legal Technology Association Conference on September 1, 2015.
- 5/26/2015Vorys Partner Doug Matthews presented to the Friends of EDiscovery at the Federal Court on May 26, 2015.
- 4/29/2015Vorys presented a Labor & Employment Update on April 29, 2015. The program was titled “Managing the New Landscape of the Workplace.”
- 9/19/2014Vorys partners Lisa Reisz and Doug Matthews presented at the OSHRM/SOHA Fall Conference on September 19, 2014.
- 9/21/2012Vorys partner Doug Matthews presented at the Columbus Bar Foundation's 10th Annual Chester Professionalism Institute on September 21. His discussion was entitled, E-Discovery and Document Management in Civil Litigation.
- 6/19/2012Vorys partner Doug Matthews and Litigation Technology Manager, Julie Brown, presented at the Columbus Bar Association’s Corporate e-Discovery seminar on June 19.
- 6/5/2012Vorys partner Doug Matthews participated in the E-Discovery for the Corporate Market Conference on June 5.
- 6/1/2012This program addressed critical issues in the e-discovery process where decisions can greatly impact the costs or outcome of the case.
- 4/26/2012On April 26, Vorys and the Central Ohio Association of Corporate Counsel hosted the program, Privilege. Privacy. Preservation. Managing Risks with Electronic Communications.
- 7/29/2014Client Alert: Brown v. Tellermate Holdings, Ltd.; Confirming that Candor and Communication are Keys to DiscoveryAs reflected in the recent decision by the United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio in Brown v. Tellermate Holdings, Ltd., communication and candor are key components of modern discovery. Indeed, the Brown decision emphasizes that, not only do attorneys have an affirmative obligation to speak to the key players related to the matter being litigated so that counsel and client together can identify, preserve, and search the sources of discoverable information, but doing so is necessary for effective advocacy.