- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Appellate Practice
- Business and Commercial
- Class Actions
- Constitutional Law and Media
- Consumer Lending and Lender Liability
- eCommerce Litigation
- Financial Institutions Litigation
- Government Entities
- Professional Liability and Discipline
- Public Records and Open Meetings
- Securities, Shareholder Disputes, and Corporate Governance
- Yale Law School, J.D., 1979
Yale Law Journal, editor, 1978–1979
- The Ohio State University, B.A., 1976
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
- The Honorable Gilbert S. Merritt, United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, 1979-1980
John, a partner in the Vorys Columbus office, is a member of the litigation group and head of the firm's appellate practice subgroup. His practice focuses on civil litigation and appeals. His experience includes a wide range of appeals involving constitutional, statutory, regulatory and common law issues; the trial of numerous cases; and leadership of the pretrial discovery and motions efforts in civil actions. In addition, he has served at the request of federal and state courts as pro bono counsel for indigent clients in several actions presenting significant questions of law.
Career highlights include
Securities Class Actions and Shareholder Derivative Litigation
- Representing major corporations, directors, officers and auditors in securities class actions and shareholder derivative litigation
Complex Commercial Litigation
- Representing parties to large-scale commercial contracts in complex federal and state court litigation
Financial Services Litigation
- Representing national and state banks and associations in lending-related litigation
Small Business and Family Trust Disputes
- Representing closely-held corporation owners, business partners, trustees, beneficiaries and others in federal and state court business litigation, arbitration and mediation
News Media Defense
- Representing nationally-prominent journalists and publishers in obtaining dismissal of federal court defamation actions
- Representing journalism and broadcast associations in Supreme Court of Ohio proceedings over Ohio standard of liability for defamation
- Representing leading national university in federal and state court cases involving charitable gifts and student organization exercise of First Amendment rights
- Representing leading national university in executive employment negotiations
- Representing national higher education associations in litigation concerning student privacy rights
Oil, Gas and Coal Litigation
- Representing mineral rights owners, producers and associations in federal and state court litigation
- Representing bidders in challenges to state and local contract awards
- Representing government contractors in contract disputes
- Representing national insurance broker in enforcement of state statute
- Representing minority-owned business and its principals in certification and debarment proceedings
- Representing officeholders and candidates in election law disputes and compliance proceedings
- Representing municipal corporation in defense of challenge to election procedures
Ethics Law Compliance
- Representing public officials, registered agents and others in ethics law advice and counseling
- Representing adult and minor family members in guardianship actions
John is a member of the American Bar Association, the Ohio State Bar Association and the Columbus Bar Association.
John received his J.D. from Yale Law School, where he was an editor of the Yale Law Journal. He received his B.A. from The Ohio State University.
John clerked for the Honorable Gilbert S. Merritt of the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.
Professional and Community Activities
- Upper Arlington City Council, 2020-2024
- Columbus Zoological Park Association, Chairman of the Board, 1999-2000; President of the Board, 1997-1998; Board of Trustees, 1982-2016; Appointed Board, 1986-2016
- International Center for the Preservation of Wild Animals, Inc. (The Wilds), Board of Trustees, 2003-2016
- Federal Bar Association, Columbus Chapter, President, 2004-2005
- Ohio Historical Society, Vice President, 2000-2001; Treasurer, 1997-2000, 2001-2002
- Franklin County, Ohio, Democratic Party, Chair, Judicial Recruitment and Screening Committee, 1995-2001; Executive Committee, 1985-present
- Catholic Social Services, Inc., Chairman of the Board, 1991-1993; Board of Trustees, 1987-1994
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, Columbus Appellate “Lawyer of the Year,” 2017
- The Best Lawyers in America, Appellate Practice, 2011-2021
- The Best Lawyers in America, Civil Rights Law, 2013-2021
- Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus, 2010-2018
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Business Litigation, 2006-2007
- Fellow of the Columbus Bar Foundation since 1994
- Certificat pratique de français commercial et economique, Paris Chamber of Commerce, 1992
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- 8/20/2020112 Vorys Attorneys Named to 2021 Best Lawyers in America List; 26 Vorys Attorneys Named to Best Lawyers’ Inaugural “Ones to Watch” ListOne hundred and twelve lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in the Best Lawyers in America® 2021 edition. In addition, 26 Vorys attorneys were named to the inaugural Best Lawyers in America “Ones to Watch” list.
- 8/15/2019One hundred and thirteen lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2020.
- 8/15/2018One hundred and thirteen lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2019.
- 8/17/2017One hundred and eight lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2018.
- 3/28/2017This year, 54 Vorys attorneys were listed in the 2017 Columbus CEO “Top Lawyers” List.
- 8/15/2016Fifteen Vorys attorneys have been named 2017 Lawyers of the Year by Best Lawyers.
- 8/15/2016One-hundred and eleven lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2017.
- 8/17/2015One-hundred and eighteen lawyers from Vorys were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2016.
- 8/18/2014One-hundred and ten lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2015.
- 8/14/2013One hundred and eleven lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2014.
- 8/23/2012One hundred and twenty-six lawyers from Vorys were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2013.
- 4/4/2013The Appellate Strategies and Perspectives CLE series was created to provide attorneys interested in appellate law with practical tips and tools, an analysis of emerging trends and issues in the field, and ajudicialviewpoint on the practice. The series, which was co-sponsored by Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP and The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, included three sessions in 2013, each following a similar format.
- 6/14/2012Vorys Attorneys John J. Kulewicz, Suzanne K. Richards and Robert J. Krummen presented at the Ohio Courts of Appeals Judges Association Summer Conference (OCAJA) on June 14, 2012.
- 10/8/2020As the November 3, 2020 General Election draws near and political activity is heating up, below is a brief reminder regarding political contribution limits and restrictions applicable to federal and Ohio elections.
- 4/8/2020Although geared primarily to non-federal governmental entities, the FEMA Public Assistance program also provides funding to eligible private non-profit organizations for "emergency protective measures" to respond to the COVID-19 emergency.
- 4/17/2014The Supreme Court of Ohio issued its decision dated March 4, 2014, in the case of FirstMerit Bank, N.A. v. Inks, et al (2014-Ohio-789), confirming important Ohio statutory protections for lenders in workout situations under Ohio Revised Code Section 1335.05.