- Capital University Law School, J.D., 2006, magna cum laude, Order of the Curia
- Ohio University, B.B.A., 2000
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
John is a partner in the Vorys Columbus office and a member of the litigation group, where he practices in land use, eminent domain, and intellectual property litigation, including copyright and Lanham Act actions. John formerly served as a prosecutor for the City of Bexley, Ohio.
His notable experience includes:
- Representing retailers and manufacturers in copyright and Lanham Act actions through jury trial
- Advising clients on trade dress, false advertising and unfair competition issues
- Obtaining substantial jury verdicts and settlements, including seven-figure amounts, on behalf of landowners in eminent domain litigation
- Successfully representing landowners before the Supreme Court of Ohio in defeating a proposed referendum on zoning regulations permitting wind power. State, ex rel. Stoll v. Logan
- Obtaining dismissal in favor of railroad manufacturers pursuant to the Locomotive Inspection Act
- Prosecuting various municipal offenses, including building code and criminal violations, for the City of Bexley, Ohio
John is a member of the American Bar Association and the Ohio State Bar Association.
John received his J.D. magna cum laude from Capital University Law School, where he was a member of the Order of the Curia. He received his B.B.A. from Ohio University.
Before joining Vorys, John held several project management positions in information technology for a major insurance company.
Honors & Awards
- Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus,2016
- Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars, Eminent Domain, 2013-2017
- 12/2/2016Vorys is pleased to announce that 58 attorneys from the firm have been named 2017 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 12/2/2015Vorys is pleased to announce that 63 attorneys from the firm have been named 2016 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 1/2/2015Vorys is pleased to announce that John Kuhl, Jacob Mahle, Emily Pan, Tyler Pensyl and Peter Solimine have been named partners of the firm.
- 12/3/2014Vorys is pleased to announce that 74 attorneys from the firm have been named 2015 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 8/21/2014Vorys Partner Quoted in Columbus Dispatch Story Titled “Court: Westerville Must Pay Landowner $1.3 Million”Joseph Miller, a partner in the Vorys Columbus office and a member of the litigation group, was quoted in a Columbus Dispatch story about a $1.3 million verdict recently upheld by the 10th District Court of Appeals.
- 8/20/2014Bruce Ingram, a partner in the Vorys Columbus office and a member of the litigation group, was quoted in a This Week: Westerville story titled “Appeals Court Upholds Award for $1.3 million.”
- 3/3/2014In May 2013, a jury found that the city of Westerville must pay more than $1.3 million for the property. Westerville appealed the matter. In March 2014, the Vorys trial team filed a brief on the appeal arguing that Westerville wants to reverse the law of Ohio which has historically protected private property rights.
- 12/4/2013Eighty-one attorneys from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP have been named 2014 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars. 57 Vorys attorneys were named 2014 Ohio Super Lawyer and 24 Vorys attorneys were named 2014 Ohio Rising Stars.
- 5/15/2013Vorys Partner Quoted in This Week: Westerville Story Titled “Jury Goes Against Westerville in State Street Case”Bruce Ingram, a partner in the Vorys Columbus office, was quoted in a This Week: Westerville story about a $1.3 million verdict awarded to a property owner by a Franklin County Common Pleas Court jury.
- 12/17/2012Seventy-Seven attorneys from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease have been named 2013 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 2/29/2016Vorys attorneys John Kuhl and Angel Lisinski participated in a panel titled “Career in Intellectual Property Discussion,” hosted by The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law Intellectual Property Law Society on February 29, 2016.