John is a partner in the Vorys Columbus office and a member of the litigation group, where he practices in land use, eminent domain and intellectual property litigation, including copyright and Lanham Act actions. John formerly served as a prosecutor for the City of Bexley, Ohio.
Career highlights include:
- Representing retailers and manufacturers in copyright and Lanham Act actions through jury trial
- Advising clients on trade dress, false advertising and unfair competition issues
- Obtaining substantial jury verdicts and settlements, including seven-figure amounts, on behalf of landowners in eminent domain litigation
- Successfully representing landowners before the Supreme Court of Ohio in defeating a proposed referendum on zoning regulations permitting wind power. State, ex rel. Stoll v. Logan
- Obtaining dismissal in favor of railroad manufacturers pursuant to the Locomotive Inspection Act
- Prosecuting various municipal offenses, including building code and criminal violations, for the City of Bexley, Ohio
John is a member of the American Bar Association and the Ohio State Bar Association.
Before joining Vorys, John held several project management positions in information technology for a major insurance company.
John received his J.D. magna cum laude from Capital University Law School, where he was a member of the Order of the Curia. He received his B.B.A. from Ohio University.
Honors & Recognitions
Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus,2016
Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars, Eminent Domain, 2013-2017
The Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation, 2022-2023; Eminent Domain and Condemnation Law, 2023
News & Insights
Capital University Law School, J.D., magna cum laude, 2006, Order of the Curia
Ohio University, B.B.A., 2000
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.