- Labor and Employment
- Appellate Practice
- Business and Commercial
- Class Actions
- E-Discovery and Electronic Information Management (EIM)
- Employment Litigation
- Products Liability
- Toxic Torts
- University of Dayton School of Law, J.D., 1991, summa cum laude
- University of Dayton, B.A., 1988, with Honors
Bar & Court Admissions
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
Susan is a partner in the Vorys Columbus office and a member of the litigation practice group. She is national counsel for a Fortune 50 corporation, defending it on all toxic tort products and premises liability, intentional tort and workers’ compensation matters. She also is national counsel for a Fortune 500 corporation in toxic tort and premises liability matters. Susan also is a member of the national toxic torts defense team for another Fortune 500 company. She has assisted multinational clients in developing and implementing litigation hold policies and records management programs. She also develops strategies for the client’s compliance with international hazardous material regulations, such as REACH, (Registration, Evaluation, Authorization and Restriction of Chemical Substances), RoHS (Restriction of Hazardous Substances Directive) and GHS (Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labeling of Chemicals). Susan develops product warning and risk reduction programs for clients and works extensively with experts on medical, industrial hygiene, epidemiology, human factors, and toxicological issues regarding food flavorings and additives, asbestos, benzene, beryllium, butadiene, cadmium, hexavalent chromium, silica, TDI (toluene Di-isocyante) and other toxins. She also defends food manufacturers against negligence and products liability claims.
Susan also defends corporations in class actions, employment litigation and contractual disputes relating to software and technology licensing agreements.
Career highlights include:
- Successfully defending five wage and hour class action lawsuits in Massachusetts and obtaining a favorable decision in the Massachusetts Supreme Court
- Securing the dismissal of a putative class action alleging claims of fraud and breach of contract against a software developer
- As national counsel, successfully defending toxic tort claims in almost every state as well as in federal courts, including through Multi-District Litigation
Susan is a frequent speaker and writer on topics regarding class actions, litigation holds, e-discovery and the recent changes to the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, REACH, China RoHS, European Union RoHS, global hazardous material regulations and food safety issues. She is also a member of Law360's Aerospace & Defense editorial advisory board. As chair of the firms training committee, Susan developed and implemented the firm’s legal project management training program.
Susan received her J.D. summa cum laude from the University of Dayton School Of Law and her B.A. with honors from the University of Dayton.
Susan also is the founder and initial co-chair of Vorys Women’s Initiative.
Professional and Community Activities
- A Kid Again, volunteer
- Supreme Court of Ohio Commission on Technology and the Courts, member
- University of Dayton School of Law Alumni Board, member
- Big Brothers Big Sisters, Mentor
- Leadership Dublin, Class of 2010
- Sedona Conference, working group; possession, custody and content commentary author
Honors & Awards
- Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus, 2010-2014, 2017
- Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars, Class Action/Mass Torts, 2005-2006
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- 7/31/20203M Sues Seller Who Charged Grossly Inflated Prices for N95 Respirators and Falsely Advertised a Relationship With 3MA new Ohio lawsuit, filed by a team of Vorys lawyers, is part of 3M’s global effort to combat fraud and price gouging and help protect the public against those exploiting the demand for critical products during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- 3/28/2017This year, 54 Vorys attorneys were listed in the 2017 Columbus CEO “Top Lawyers” List.
- 4/15/2013Susan Harty, a partner in the Vorys Columbus office, was quoted in an April 15, 2013 BNA Digital Discovery and e-Evidence story titled “Preserve and Comply Early and Often: ABA Panel Discusses International eDiscovery.”
- 4/24/2012Susan Harty, a partner in the Vorys Columbus office, was featured in a Columbus C.E.O. article titled “Friendly Firms.” The article the different ways central Ohio law firms maintain relationships with former attorneys and summer associates.
- 4/24/2013Vorys attorney Susan Harty presented "Impact of Encryption on Records Management" to the Central Ohio Chapter of the Association of Corporate Counsel on April 24, 2013.
- 4/12/2013Vorys attorney Susan Harty served as a panelist on "The Impact of International Privacy on Discovery" at the ABA Section of Antritrust Law Spring Meeting.
- 12/20/2012Ohio Governor John Kasich today signed the Amended Substitute House Bill 380, which requires the full disclosure of all asbestos bankruptcy trust claims made by plaintiffs with asbestos lawsuits in Ohio. The law will go into effect 90 days from today.
- 12/14/2012The Ohio General Assembly this week passed Amended Substitute House Bill 380, which requires the full disclosure of all asbestos bankruptcy trust claims made by plaintiffs with asbestos lawsuits in Ohio. The bill is headed to Governor John Kasich’s desk; he is expected to sign the bill.
- 12/7/2011Susan Harty, a partner in the firm’s Columbus office, authored an article for the December 2011 issue of Ceramic Industry Magazine about how government regulators are struggling to expand existing regulatory frameworks to cover nanomaterials.