- University of Nebraska College of Law, J.D., 2004
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln, B.A., 1998, with distinction, Phi Beta Kappa
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
Rick is a construction attorney based in the Columbus office who works on projects throughout the U.S. and occasionally internationally. He advises owners, developers, contractors, and design professionals throughout the course of public and private projects and has appeared before courts and arbitration panels in numerous jurisdictions. He has advised clients on risk management in various circumstances and met construction professionals in dozens of job trailers and conference rooms – from Ohio to downtown Los Angeles and in rural Brazil. Rick drafts and negotiates contracts and related construction documents; assists with claims during the construction phase; and handles post-completion litigation and arbitration.
Rick deals with industry forms such as those of the American Institute of Architects (AIA), the Design Build Institute of America (DBIA), ConsensusDocs, the Engineers Joint Contract Documents Committee (EJCDC), and the Fédération Internationale Des Ingénieurs-Conseils (FIDIC). Rick has also developed numerous manuscript contracts for various complex commercial and residential projects.
For disputed matters, Rick regularly handles cases stemming from breach of contract claims, change orders, insurance coverage issues, liens, delays, differing site conditions, professional errors and omissions, and licensing issues. Rick has significant experience in both courtroom hearings and trials, as well as recent arbitration hearings through award.
Notable experience includes:
- Litigating complex construction cases throughout California and Ohio for over 13 years
- Drafting and negotiating dozens of general contracts, design agreements, and subcontracts for projects throughout many states, including coordination with local counsel
- Obtaining a successful verdict on behalf of a general contractor against subcontractor claims on a $130+ million Federal project
Experience by project type/industry:
Public Research and Health Care
- Representing a general contractor in preparing and ultimately settling claims totaling over $37 million on a $140+ million state university laboratory project
- Advising the CM of a $1.5 billion Medical Center project during preconstruction and construction phases, plus work on litigation related to a best value procurement pilot program and award protest
- Advising the replacement contractor on a large hospital project after the owner terminated the prior contractor. The project was converted from a construction manager at-risk delivery method to multi-prime, and the legal matters included advising on licensing and prevailing wage matters
- Representing a general contractor in a multi-party dispute over mechanics’ liens and prompt payment penalties arising from the renovation of a major franchise hotel
- Representing a private university in multimillion-dollar claims against a general contractor and architect
Industrial and International
- Drafting and negotiating an EPC contract and related documents for a complex processing facility in Brazil valued at approximately $50 million
- Drafting and negotiating numerous design-bid-build and turnkey agreements for distribution centers, including a $20+million facility in Central Ohio and $30+million facility in Southern California
- Drafting and negotiating a design-build agreement for a multi-phase, complex water treatment system at a chemical company, as required by the U.S. EPA
- Advising a solar panel manufacturer and EPC contractor in negotiating a $20 million contract with a public owner for a photovoltaic solar energy facility
- Successfully settling litigation over scope of work disputes and differing site conditions claims involving multiple gas stations and a jet fueling facility
- Representing oil and gas producers in lien disputes with contractors
Public Works and Infrastructure
- Successfully defending a general contractor against a $3 million claim on an Air Force base runway renovation project, resulting in an arbitration award of less than 20% of the claim
- Representing a contractor for claims and defending against defective work allegations arising from a multi-phase municipal water pump and pipeline system
- Lead associate in obtaining a $3.6 million jury verdict against the City and County of San Francisco for violating a contractor's constitutional rights associated with the implementation of a prequalification program
- Assisting with the preparation of the project documents for multiple quasi-public roadway and infrastructure projects in Ohio
- Representing homeowners in defective work claims against contractors
- Drafting and negotiating architect agreements and prime contracts on behalf of owners of multimillion dollar residences in Pacific Palisades, California; Sausalito, California; and multiple counties in Ohio
- Handling dozens of lien claims on behalf of a major mall owner in multiple jurisdictions
- Representing a large retailer in reviewing and negotiating contracts, including for a distribution center and tenant improvement projects, and resolving various disputes with contractors
Rick received his J.D. from the University of Nebraska College of Law. He received his B.A. with distinction from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, where he was Phi Beta Kappa.
Prior to joining Vorys, Rick practiced in the San Francisco office of Allen Matkins Leck Gamble Mallory & Natsis LLP. In between his undergraduate years and law school, Rick served as a small business development volunteer with the Peace Corps in Morocco, where he taught basic business skills and learned to speak near-fluent Moroccan Arabic and French.
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, Litigation - Construction Law, 2019
- Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars, Construction, 2015
- Northern California Super Lawyers Rising Star 2009-2011
- 8/15/2018One hundred and thirteen lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2019.
- 1/4/2016Vorys announced that Blake Beachler, Jennifer Dunsizer, Angela Gibson, Rick Grady, Jonathan Ishee, Paul Kerlin, Natalia Steele and Elizabeth Weinewuth have been named partners of the firm.
- 12/3/2014Vorys is pleased to announce that 74 attorneys from the firm have been named 2015 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.