- Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, J.D., 2007 cum laude
- Cleveland-Marshall College of Law Journal of Law and Health, editor
- Cleveland-Marshall College of Law Moot Court, vice chair
- Cleveland State University, M.S., 2007
- Ohio Northern University, B.S., 2003
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. Supreme Court
David is an associate in the Vorys Cincinnati office and a member of the finance, energy and real estate group. His practice is focused on environmental enforcement and regulatory matters. Prior to joining Vorys, David served as chief of the criminal enforcement unit for EPA Region VI in Dallas, Texas. He also served as a RCRA enforcement attorney for the EPA.
David has handled enforcement of many environmental laws, including the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act, Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act, Safe Drinking Water Act, Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation and Liability Act, and Title 18 of the United States Code. His federal court enforcement experience includes trial and litigation work, where he worked closely with the Department of Justice, U.S. Attorneys Offices, and other state and federal regulatory agencies.
David has a scientific background, having technical degrees with significant laboratory research and analysis.
His notable experience includes:
- Handled enforcement cases resulting in more than 80 defendants charged, over 19 million dollars in criminal fines and more than 115 months of total incarceration time
- Led negotiations in the nation’s largest civil administrative, enforcement pollution reduction cases in 2009 and 2010, both of which were RCRA cases
- Worked with the Department of Justice in civil and criminal enforcement cases, held DOJ special appointment to appear in court on behalf of the EPA and served as a RCRA expert counsel in a Federal Tort Claims Act defense case
David is a member of the Ohio State Bar Association, State Bar of Texas and the Cincinnati Bar Association.
David received his J.D. cum laude from Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, where he was the vice chair of the Moot Court and an editor of the Journal of Law and Health. He received his Masters in Environmental Science from Cleveland State University and his B.S. in biology from Ohio Northern University.
- 12/29/2017Edelstein Featured in a Bloomberg BNA Environment Article Titled “Ohio Adopts Hazardous Universal Waste Rules”David Edelstein, an associate in the Vorys Cincinnati office and a member of the finance, energy and real estate group, was quoted in a Bloomberg BNA Environment article titled "Ohio Adopts Hazardous Universal Waste Rules."
- 5/19/2016David Edelstein, an associate in the Vorys Cincinnati office and a member of the finance, energy and real estate group, was a featured guest on Federal News Radio’s show Federal Drive.
- 12/18/2017David Edelstein, an associate in the Vorys Cincinnati office, authored an article for Environmental Law360 titled “Ohio's New Practical Approach To Waste Management.”
- 12/11/2017Ohio will soon join Texas and New Jersey as the only states to regulate “paint and paint-related waste” as a Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) universal waste instead of a hazardous waste.
- 8/10/2016David Edelstein, an associate in the Vorys Cincinnati office and a member of the finance, energy and real estate group, authored an article, titled “A Better Approach To Environmental Prosecution?,” for Environmental Law360.
- 8/8/2016Client Alert: USEPA Can Seek Restitution for CERCLA Clean-Up Based on EPA Accounting Table and EPA Employee Testimony Without Further EvidenceThe United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit recently affirmed the guilty plea of Mark Sawyer for conspiring to violate the Clean Air Act (CAA), 18 U.S.C. 371.
- 4/21/2016David Edelstein, an associate in the Vorys Cincinnati office and member of the environmental group, authored an article for Environmental Law360 titled "From Gov't To Firm, Happily: Changing Careers Midstream."