- Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, J.D., 2007 cum laude
- Cleveland-Marshall College of Law Journal of Law and Health, editor
- Cleveland-Marshall College of Law Moot Court, vice chair
- Cleveland State University, M.S., 2007
- Ohio Northern University, B.S., 2003
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
David is a partner in the Vorys Cincinnati office. His current practice is focused on environmental regulation, enforcement, environmental liability insurance, and transactional matters. He works with businesses and government institutions to ensure that their operations are compliant with environmental law. He provides advice to businesses that helps minimize operational and legal risks. In his work, he appreciates clients’ desires to keep the environment clean and safe.
Prior to joining Vorys, David served as chief of the criminal enforcement unit for U.S. EPA Region VI in Dallas, Texas. He also served as a RCRA enforcement attorney for the U.S. EPA. His federal court enforcement experience includes trial and litigation work, where he worked closely with the Department of Justice, U.S. Attorneys Offices, and other state and federal regulatory agencies.
Environmental & Legal Focus:
David has handled matters regarding many environmental, health, and safety laws including:
- Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA)
- Clean Air Act (CAA)
- Clean Water Act (CWA)
- Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA)
- Solid Waste Disposal Act (SWDA)
- Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation and Liability Act (CERCLA)
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)
David has a science and legal background. He received his J.D. cum laude from Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, where he was the vice chair of the Moot Court Board of Governors and an editor of the Journal of Law and Health. He received his B.S. in biology from Ohio Northern University and his M.S. in environmental science from Cleveland State University, which involved significant laboratory research and analysis.
CAREER HIGHLIGHTS INCLUDE:
- Assisting a global consumer products company in regulatory compliance with EPA and OSHA regulations, including solid and hazardous waste enforcement issues across multiple facilities.
- Representing the world’s leading manufacturer of acrylic sheet products in environmental compliance matters for multiple facilities located across the U.S.
- Advising a leading provider of products for the metals, manufacturing, refinery, and petrochemical industries in RCRA compliance, permitting and variances.
- Preparing clients in the oil, gas & energy sectors for proposed and expected changes in environmental policies and regulations.
- Negotiating with state and federal environmental agencies regarding the application of RCRA, CAA, CWA, SDWA, CERCLA and SWDA. Ensuring that client interests are fairly and vigorously represented and considered during settlement, civil, and administrative proceedings.
- Negotiating settlement of disputes and fines with state and federal environmental and occupational health and safety agencies on behalf of clients.
- Representing a sewer district owner in the implementation of a Consent Decree in a multi-billion dollar CWA case.
- Representing a major insurer in claims related to legacy environmental contamination, including statutory clean-up, remediation, and property damage, including the development of a comprehensive strategy to reduce the risk of liability.
- Working with the Department of Justice in civil and criminal enforcement cases, held DOJ special appointment to appear in court on behalf of the U.S. EPA and served as a RCRA counsel in a Federal Tort Claims Act defense case tried in federal court.
Leading negotiations in two top nationally significant pollution reduction cases in 2009 and 2010, both of which were RCRA cases.
- Providing environmental due diligence services to business clients for various environmental and worker safety regulations.
- Utilizing unique experience with U.S. EPA and deep, technical understanding of environmental legislation to negotiate agreements by identifying environmental risks hazards and minimizing pollution legal liability.
- Experienced in negotiation with Ohio EPA and the Ohio Attorney General’s Environmental Background Investigation Unit (EBIU) in the transfer and modification of RCRA permits.
- 1/2/2019Vorys is pleased to announce that Kari Coniglio, David Edelstein, Margaret Everett, Christopher Ingram and James W. Kelly II became partners of the firm on January 1, 2019.
- 12/29/2017Edelstein Featured in a Bloomberg BNA Environment Article Titled “Ohio Adopts Hazardous Universal Waste Rules”David Edelstein, an associate in the Vorys Cincinnati office and a member of the finance, energy and real estate group, was quoted in a Bloomberg BNA Environment article titled "Ohio Adopts Hazardous Universal Waste Rules."
- 5/19/2016David Edelstein, an associate in the Vorys Cincinnati office and a member of the finance, energy and real estate group, was a featured guest on Federal News Radio’s show Federal Drive.
- 8/21/2019Attorneys Robin Amicon, David Edelstein, Mairi Mull and Kristin Watt held a webinar titled “New Rules for the Management of Hazardous Waste Pharmaceuticals are Effective…Now What?”on August 21, 2019.
- 7/24/2019Vorys Partner, David Edelstein spoke at the 29th Annual Environmental Permitting in Ohio Conference on July 24, 2019.
- 3/28/2019Vorys Partner, David Edelstein, spoke at the 34th Annual Ohio Environment, Energy and Resources Law Seminar on March 28, 2019.
- 3/26/2019Vorys Partner, David Edelstein, spoke at the 28th Annual Business & Industry’s Sustainability & Environmental, Health and Safety Symposium on March 26, 2019.
- 10/6/2020On December 20, 2019, President Trump signed the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2020 (NDAA) into law.
- 3/23/2020As the COVID-19 situation continues to evolve day by day, we recommend carefully reviewing each of your facilities’ environmental-related permits, orders, and other compliance obligations.
- 6/4/2019Health Care Alert: Ohio EPA Undertakes Rulemaking to Adopt New Federal Standards for Management of Hazardous Pharmaceutical Waste by Ohio’s Health Care IndustryOhio’s health care industry will soon take on significant new obligations with respect to the management of hazardous pharmaceutical waste, pursuant to a federal rule being implemented by Ohio Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
- 12/18/2017David Edelstein, an associate in the Vorys Cincinnati office, authored an article for Environmental Law360 titled “Ohio's New Practical Approach To Waste Management.”
- 12/11/2017Ohio will soon join Texas and New Jersey as the only states to regulate “paint and paint-related waste” as a Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) universal waste instead of a hazardous waste.
- 8/10/2016David Edelstein, an associate in the Vorys Cincinnati office and a member of the finance, energy and real estate group, authored an article, titled “A Better Approach To Environmental Prosecution?,” for Environmental Law360.
- 8/8/2016Client Alert: USEPA Can Seek Restitution for CERCLA Clean-Up Based on EPA Accounting Table and EPA Employee Testimony Without Further EvidenceThe United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit recently affirmed the guilty plea of Mark Sawyer for conspiring to violate the Clean Air Act (CAA), 18 U.S.C. 371.
- 4/21/2016David Edelstein, an associate in the Vorys Cincinnati office and member of the environmental group, authored an article for Environmental Law360 titled "From Gov't To Firm, Happily: Changing Careers Midstream."