Our commitment to our clients, attorneys, professional staff and communities extends beyond legal matters, as we recognize that it is our responsibility to lessen our firm’s environmental impact and invest in the wellbeing and preservation of our shared planet. With the present and growing threat of climate change, Vorys has made sustainability a fundamental element of our firm’s culture and our service to clients – all in pursuit of a healthier world for current and future generations.
All of our offices participate in sustainable initiatives as an essential part of day-to-day activities, including:
- Subsidized public transportation and bike rental programs for attorneys and staff
- Paperless core operations
- Electric vehicle charging stations
- Office LED hardware and light harvesting technology
- Sustainability learning courses
- Energy efficient appliances in office kitchens and cafeterias
- Recycling protocols for technology, paper, plastic and aluminum
- Reducing single-use utensils and tableware products and pursuing biodegradable and/or recycled options
- Water-efficient and low-flow office plumbing systems
- Collecting and offering “used” office supplies (pens, clips, legal pads etc.) as an option
The majority of our office buildings have received gold or silver LEED certification, a globally recognized standard for “green buildings” that demonstrate improved efficiency and lowered carbon emissions.
In addition, we regularly fundraise and volunteer our time for sustainable causes such as the Washington, D.C. office’s support of the Chesapeake Bay Foundation, the Akron office’s adoption of part of the Ohio & Erie Canalway Towpath Trail and the Columbus office’s support of the Franklin Park Conservatory.
The Vorys Building and Space Committee, along with other firm leaders, champion the firm’s environmental efforts. These firm leaders regularly meet to discuss opportunities for action and the firm’s overall sustainability strategy.