Dan is an associate in the Vorys Cincinnati office and a member of the Vorys eControl group. Dan counsels businesses on issues related to eCommerce, online brand protection, and product diversion. Dan also has significant experience litigating against unauthorized sellers in actions involving trademark infringement, unfair competition, counterfeiting, and false advertisement. Through litigation, Dan has been able to secure favorable outcomes in numerous actions involving unauthorized sales on the internet.
His notable experience includes:
- Obtaining a judgment and award of more than $8 million in a lawsuit involving unauthorized sales on Amazon
- Obtaining and enforcing court orders that caused unauthorized sellers’ websites and online storefronts to be permanently shut down
- Defeating numerous dispositive motions in actions involving unauthorized sales of diverted products
- Obtaining affirmative summary judgment and awards of attorneys’ fees in actions involving unauthorized sales on the internet
- Defeating an appeal of a favorable judgment in an internet defamation matter
- Serving as part of team that won the 11th largest verdict in the state of Illinois in 2017 (Patrick v. City of Chicago, et al.)
Prior to joining Vorys, Dan worked in commercial litigation and civil rights litigation. Dan also clerked for two years as a staff attorney at the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit and for one year as a law clerk for the Honorable William P. Lynch in the United States District Court for the District of New Mexico.
Dan received his J.D. from Vanderbilt University Law School, where he was a notes editor for the Vanderbilt Law Review. He received his B.A. summa cum laude from the University of Michigan.
Honors & Recognitions
The Best Lawyers in America 'Ones to Watch,' 2023
News & Insights
Vanderbilt University Law School, J.D. 2010
Vanderbilt Law Review, Staff Member, 2008-2009; Notes Editor, 2009-2010
University of Michigan, B.A., 2005, summa cum laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- Illinois (inactive)
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
- United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, Staff Attorney, 2011-2013
- Hon. William P. Lynch, United States District Court for the District of New Mexico, 2010-2011