Attorneys & Professionals
Ten Vorys Attorneys Selected by Their Peers as “Lawyers of the Year”
Ten Vorys attorneys have been named 2022 Lawyers of the Year by Best Lawyers. Each year, only a single lawyer in each specialty in each community is honored as the “Lawyer of the Year.” According to Best Lawyers, lawyers being honored as “Lawyer of the Year” have earned a high level of respect among other lawyers in the same communities and the same practice areas for their abilities, professionalism and integrity. The Vorys lawyers and their selections are listed below.
- Nelson D. Cary has been named the 2022 Best Lawyers’ Columbus Lawyer of the Year in Litigation - Labor and Employment. Nelson represents management in a broad range of labor and employment matters, including counseling employers on compliance with, and defending employers in litigation arising out of, the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Title VII, Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), and similar state laws.
- John F. Furniss III has been named the 2022 Best Lawyers’ Columbus Lawyer of the Year in Trusts and Estates. In his practice, John represents individuals, including professionals, executives and business owners, as well as families in connection with all aspects of estate planning, charitable giving, business succession planning, and estate, gift and generation-skipping transfer tax planning.
- Judith L. Marsh has been named the 2022 Best Lawyers’ Columbus Lawyer of the Year in Commercial Finance Law. She has more than 20 years of experience representing large, national retailers and consumer brands. Although her focus is on corporate, commercial, franchising and distribution, and finance transactions, she strives to serve these companies as a strategic partner to help them reach their business objectives.
- Lisa Pierce Reisz has been named the 2022 Best Lawyers’ Columbus Lawyer of the Year in Litigation - Health Care. Lisa advises a wide range of health care clients in areas of health care regulatory compliance, including health information privacy and security compliance, state certification and licensure issues, fraud and abuse compliance counseling, and response to government investigations at both the state and federal levels.
- Gregory D. Russell has been named the 2022 Best Lawyers’ Columbus Lawyer of the Year in Oil and Gas Law. For more than 25 years, he has been advising producers and pipeline operators in Ohio on business and regulatory matters, ranging from asset transactions, to unit operations and development, to leasehold and royalty disputes.
- Andrew C. Smith has been named the 2022 Best Lawyers’ Columbus Lawyer of the Year in Employment Law – Management. His practice focuses on all aspects of labor and employment law, including employment litigation, wrongful discharge, and wage and hour class actions.
- Evelyn Lundberg Stratton has been named the 2022 Best Lawyers’ Columbus Lawyer of the Year in Appellate Practice. She counsels clients on variety of practice areas, including appellate issues, litigation and health care. Prior to joining Vorys, Eve served for 16 years as a justice on the Supreme Court of Ohio and for seven years as a trial judge in the Court of Common Pleas.
- Kristin L. Watt has been named the 2022 Best Lawyers’ Columbus Lawyer of the Year in Litigation – Environmental. Her practice is results-oriented and focuses on environmental compliance and counseling, enforcement defense and order negotiation, environmental audits, permitting issues and Brownfield redevelopment.
- Michael J. Garvin has been named the 2022 Best Lawyers’ Cleveland Lawyer of the Year in Patent Law. His practice focuses on intellectual property and technology litigation, particularly patent litigation, including the prosecution and defense of patent infringement cases in the computer, telecommunications, medical device, electrical and mechanical fields; the prosecution of anti-piracy cases; the prosecution of software performance cases; and the prosecution and defense of copyright, trademark, trade secret and non-competition actions.
- Martin S. Gates has been named the 2022 Best Lawyers’ Cleveland Lawyer of the Year in Financial Services Regulation Law. In his practice, Marty represents administrative agents, lenders and borrowers in a wide variety of secured and unsecured commercial financing transactions, including syndicated and single-lender financings, investment-grade company financings, asset-based financings, acquisition financings, all types of subordinated debt financings, and private placements of debt securities.
One hundred and sixteen Vorys attorneys were included on the 2022 Best Lawyers in America ® List and 34 Vorys attorneys were named to the 2022 Best Lawyers “Ones to Watch” list. Click here to see a full listing.
About Vorys: Vorys was established in 1909 and currently has nearly 375 attorneys in eight offices in Ohio, Washington, D.C., Texas, Pennsylvania and California. Vorys currently ranks as one of the 200 largest law firms in the United States according to American Lawyer magazine.