- University of Virginia School of Law, J.D., 2000
- Kenyon College, A.B., 1997, magna cum laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. Tax Court
John is a partner in the Vorys Columbus office and a member of the probate and tax group and the estate, trust, and wealth transfer subgroup. In his practice, John represents individuals, including professionals, executives and business owners, as well as families in connection with all aspects of estate planning, charitable giving, business succession planning, and estate, gift and generation-skipping transfer tax planning. He also represents fiduciaries and beneficiaries in the administration of trusts and probate estates as well as in disputes involving trusts and estates, including will contests, trust contests and tax audits and controversies. In addition, John represents tax-exempt organizations in matters related to their tax-exempt status, planned gifts from their donors and their endowments.
John is a fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (ACTEC) and is active in committees at both the national and state levels. He is also a member of the Ohio State Bar Association, where he serves as vice-chairman for the Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Law Section Council. In addition, John is a member of the Columbus Bar Association, the American Bar Association, and other professional organizations. John participates in – and Vorys is an advisor member of – the Family Office Exchange, an authority on matters related to legacy wealth management.
John regularly presents on various topics relating to estate planning, charitable giving, exempt organizations and estate and trust administration. He has presented to the Ohio State Bar Association, the Columbus Bar Association, ACTEC Ohio and various estate planning councils and charitable foundations.
John received his J.D. from the University of Virginia School of Law, where he served as the managing editor of the Journal of Law & Politics. He received his A.B. magna cum laude and with distinction from Kenyon College, where he was a member of Phi Beta Kappa. John also studied at St. Catherine's College of Oxford University.
Professional and Community Activities
- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, Fellow
- Ohio State Bar Association, Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Law Section Council, Vice-Chairman
- Probate Law Journal of Ohio, Editorial Advisory Board, Member
- Columbus Estate Planning Council, Member
- Columbus Foundation, Professional Advisors Committee, Member
- Central Ohio Planned Giving Council, Member
- National Association of Charitable Gift Planners, Member
- Ohio State Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Fairfield Medical Center Foundation, Board of Trustees, Member
- The East Wing Association, President
- Jazz Arts Group, Board of Trustees, Member, 2006-2015
- Fairfield Heritage Association, Board of Trustees, Member, 2009-2015
- Ohioana Library Association, Board of Trustees, Member, 2008-2016
- Kenyon College Regional Association of Columbus, Past President
- Kenyon College Alumni Council, Past Member
Honors & Awards
- Chambers & Partners, High Net Worth Guide, Leading Lawyer in Private Wealth, 2016-2018
- Best Lawyers in America, Trusts and Estates, 2013–2018
- The Best Lawyers in America, Trusts and Estates Law, 2013-2019
- Ohio Super Lawyers , Estate Planning & Probate, Tax: Business, 2014–2019
- Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2005–2006, 2009–2013
- 12/5/2018Vorys is pleased to announce that 48 attorneys from the firm have been named 2019 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 8/15/2018One hundred and thirteen lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2019.
- 10/26/2017Vorys has expanded its trusts, estates and wealth transfer team with the addition of two experienced and widely respected attorneys in the Columbus office. Karen Moore joins the firm as of counsel and John Furniss joins as a partner.
- 1/31/2019Partners John Furniss and Beth Weinewuth held a webinar on January 31, 2019. Together they covered important changes made to Ohio laws concerning estate and trust planning, administration and litigation.
- 4/16/2019Generally, a trustee is required to provide certain information and accountings to the beneficiary of an irrevocable trust.
- 2/13/2019Client Alert: Embassy Healthcare v. Bell: Supreme Court of Ohio Decision Provides Greater Certainty for a Surviving Spouse on Decedent Spouse’s Medical DebtIs a surviving spouse responsible for her deceased spouse’s medical bills if the creditor did not properly submit a claim against his estate?
- 1/22/2019If you’ve recently updated your estate plan, there may be outstanding tasks that require your attention.
- 11/15/2018The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act that was signed into law at the end of 2017 made sweeping changes to many laws affecting donors.
- Fall 2018The 132nd Ohio General Assembly’s lame-duck session will run the day after the November 6 general election through the end of 2018.
- 10/1/2018Gone are the days of going on vacation to get away. As technology continues to advance, society has not only become increasingly dependent on the ability to remotely handle routine tasks, but also on the capability to deal with more complicated tasks such as reviewing and signing involved legal documents.
- 1/29/2018If you have not looked at your estate plan recently, it’s time to do so.
- 12/28/2017On December 22, 2017, President Trump signed into law the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 (referred to herein as TCJA or the Act). Although the most discussed provisions of the Act concern income tax changes, the new tax law also contains provisions that directly or indirectly affect estate planning.
- 11/20/2017The U.S. Tax Court recently determined that the IRS can re-examine the deceased spouse’s estate tax return that reported the unused exclusion, without regard to any statute of limitations.
- 11/9/2017The latest and growing trend for high net worth families involves the formation of a Family Office.