Vorys Amends Class Action Complaint Against Urban Active
On April 19, 2011, Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP amended its complaint against Urban Active to include additional plaintiffs and to add claims for violations of the Ohio Deceptive Trade Practices Act and breach of contract. The lawsuit, which is seeking class-action certification, was filed in the Franklin County, Ohio, Court of Common Pleas, and alleges that Global Fitness Holdings, LLC, doing business as Urban Active, violated the Ohio Consumer Sales Practices Act and other Ohio laws by engaging in the following unlawful business practices.
- Misrepresenting the terms and duration of its membership contracts, personal training contracts, and other contracts for services;
- Misrepresenting customers’ cancellation rights;
- Failing to notify customers of their cancellation rights as required by law;
- Failing to provide customers with copies of contracts at the time of signing as required by law;
- Failing to honor notices of cancellation;
- Continuing to charge customers after cancellation;
- Failing to inform customers of hidden $15 “maintenance fees” which increase the cost of its membership contracts; and
- Failing to provide customers with personal training sessions as contracted for in their agreements.
Anyone interested in learning more about the lawsuit against Urban Active can visit www.urbanactiveclassaction.com.