Tom is a partner in the litigation group and the managing partner of the Vorys Orange County office. Tom has a broad range of litigation and client counseling experiences with a specific focus on employment litigation, complex commercial disputes and class action litigation.
Tom represents national and international companies in high stakes litigation pending in California state and federal court. In employment matters, he regularly handles harassment, discrimination and disability/leave of absence claims. In addition, he also leads the defense in multiple Class Action and PAGA lawsuits. Tom also has significant experience representing national retail stores in private arbitrations across the country addressing employment related claims.
In complex commercial cases, Tom regularly litigates contract, tort and consumer sales practices act claims. He has successfully represented public universities in several high-profile disputes, counseled numerous student athletes regarding NCAA compliance and eligibility issues, and served as lead counsel in multiple consumer class actions.
Notable experience includes:
- Obtaining a defense verdict after a month long jury trial in California state court for a national building supplier on claims of failure to warn and design defect
- Lead counsel in two consumer class actions resulting in settlements valued at more than $14 million
- Obtaining dismissals or negligible settlements in a number of harassment and discrimination cases filed against national retail stores throughout the country
- Serving as seconded in-house counsel for an international retail company with over 3,000 locations and assisting with litigation management, client counseling and numerous strategic initiatives
- Obtaining restraining orders and preliminary injunctions on behalf of a retail company and a national manufacturer pursuant to non-compete agreements and successfully defending an individual employee against similar claims brought by his former employer
Tom is a member of the Federal Bar Association and the Orange County Bar Association.
Honors & Recognitions
The Best Lawyers In America, Commercial Litigation, 2022-2023; Litigation - Labor and Employment, 2022-2023
Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2007; 2011-2012
Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus, 2015
Professional & Community Activities
North Market Development Authority, Board of Trustees and President, 2015-2021
Federal Bar Association, Board of Directors, 2018-2020
The Athletic Club of Columbus, Board of Directors, 2019-2021
Godman Guild Association, Board of Trustees, 2014-2017
Camp Mary Orton, Board of Directors, 2006-2014
News & Insights
- NewsThirty-Six Vorys Attorneys Named Ohio Rising Stars
- Client alert
- Client alert
- Authored article
University of Wisconsin Law School, J.D., cum laude, 2002
University of Wisconsin-Platteville, B.S., magna cum laude, 1997
Bar & Court Admissions
- United States District Court for the Northern District of California
- United States District Court for the Southern District of California
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of California
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
- The Honorable James L. Graham, United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio, 2005-2006