- University of Wisconsin Law School, J.D., 2002, with honors
- University of Wisconsin-Platteville, B.S., 1997, magna cum laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
- The Honorable James L. Graham, United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio, 2005-2006
Tom is a partner in the Vorys Columbus office. He is a member of the litigation group and serves as chair of the hiring committee. Tom has a broad range of litigation and client counseling experiences with a specific focus on employment litigation, complex commercial cases, and class action litigation.
In the employment context, Tom regularly represents clients in non-compete/trade secret disputes, harassment and discrimination claims, alleged violations of the FMLA and ADA, and in wage and hour class actions. Tom has significant experience representing national retail stores in private arbitrations and in state and federal courts across the country. In addition, Tom regularly counsels clients in the preparation of employment-related documents including employment policies and contracts, provides training and advice on litigation avoidance, and advises in-house counsel on the efficient management of its outside litigation.
Tom also has significant experience in complex commercial cases involving contract disputes, tort, and consumer sales practices act claims. He has successfully represented public universities in several high-profile disputes, counseled numerous student athletes regarding NCAA compliance, and served as lead counsel in multiple consumer class actions.
His notable experience includes:
- Serving as seconded in-house counsel for an international retail company with over 3,000 locations and assisting with litigation management, client counseling, and numerous strategic initiatives.
- Lead counsel in a multi-state consumer class action resulting in a settlement valued at more than $15 million.
- Obtaining restraining orders and preliminary injunctions on behalf of a retail company and a national manufacturer pursuant to non-compete agreements and successfully defending an individual employee against similar claims brought by his former employer.
- Obtaining dismissals or negligible settlements in a number of harassment and discrimination cases filed against national retail clients throughout the country
- Representing a design/manufacture in a multi-million dollar contract dispute before the International Centre for Dispute Resolution
Tom is a member of the Federal Bar Association and the Columbus Bar Association.
Professional and Community Activities
- North Market Development Authority, Executive Committee, 2017-present.
- North Market Development Authority, Board of Trustees, 2015-present
- Godman Guild Association, Board of Trustees, 2014-present
- Camp Mary Orton, Board Executive Committee, 2008-2014
- Camp Mary Orton, Board of Directors, 2006-2014
Honors & Awards
- Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus, 2015
- Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2007; 2011-2012
- 11/6/2013After more than two years of litigation and months of negotiation, the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio has preliminarily approved a class action settlement in a lawsuit filed against Urban Active Fitness.