- University of Wisconsin Law School, J.D., 2002, cum laude
- University of Wisconsin-Platteville, B.S., 1997, magna cum laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- United States District Court for the Northern District of California
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
- The Honorable James L. Graham, United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio, 2005-2006
Tom is a partner in the Vorys Columbus office. He is a member of the trial group and serves as chair of the Hiring Committee. Tom has a broad range of litigation and client counseling experiences with a specific focus on employment litigation, complex commercial disputes, and class action litigation.
In the employment context, Tom regularly represents clients in harassment and discrimination claims, FMLA and ADA cases, and in wage and hour class actions. Tom has significant experience representing national retail stores in private arbitrations and in state and federal courts across the country. Tom is licensed in California and spends significant time representing national employers against claims under California state and local ordinances.
Tom also regularly litigates complex commercial cases involving contract disputes, tort, and consumer sales practices act claims. He has successfully represented public universities in several high-profile disputes, counseled numerous student athletes regarding NCAA compliance, and served as lead counsel in multiple consumer class actions.
His notable experience includes:
- Serving as seconded in-house counsel for an international retail company with over 3,000 locations and assisting with litigation management, client counseling, and numerous strategic initiatives.
- Lead counsel in two consumer class actions resulting in settlements valued at more than $14 million.
- Obtaining restraining orders and preliminary injunctions on behalf of a retail company and a national manufacturer pursuant to non-compete agreements and successfully defending an individual employee against similar claims brought by his former employer.
- Obtaining dismissals or negligible settlements in a number of harassment and discrimination cases filed against national retail clients throughout the country.
- Representing a design/manufacture in a multi-million dollar contract dispute before the International Centre for Dispute Resolution.
Tom is a member of the Federal Bar Association and the Columbus Bar Association.
Professional and Community Activities
- North Market Development Authority, Board of Trustees and President, 2015-present
- Federal Bar Association (Columbus), Board of Directors, 2018-present
- The Athletic Club of Columbus, Board of Directors, 2019-present
- Godman Guild Association, Board of Trustees, 2014-2017
- Camp Mary Orton, Board of Directors, 2006-2014
Honors & Awards
- Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus, 2015
- Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2007; 2011-2012
- 11/6/2013After more than two years of litigation and months of negotiation, the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio has preliminarily approved a class action settlement in a lawsuit filed against Urban Active Fitness.