- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, J.D., 2009, summa cum laude
- The Ohio State Law Journal, managing editor
- Boston College M.B.A., 2004
- Cornell University, M. Eng., 2000
- Cornell University, B.S., 1999
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
Rex is a partner in the Vorys Columbus office and a member of the technology and intellectual property group. His practice is focused on protection of intellectual property rights through patents, trademarks and trade secrets. Rex has experience preparing and prosecuting U.S. and foreign patent and trademark applications. His experience also includes freedom to operate analysis, patent post grant practice, counseling/portfolio management and contract negotiation. In addition, Rex assists clients with advertising agreements and he has significant litigation representing accused infringers in the defense of patent, trademark and copyright claims.
His notable experience includes:
- Preparing multiple petitions for inter partes review
- Reviewing and structuring digital and traditional advertising contracts
- Analyzing asserted intellectual property for infringement and validity
- Identifying defenses and preparing summary judgments that resulted in the cancellation of a U.S. trademark registration
- Managing the intake and integration of a mid-sized patent and trademark portfolio, including the coordination of a worldwide assignment recordation project
- Filing and preparing of UDRP complaints to resolve instances of cyber-squatting for multiple clients
Rex has a technical background in electrical engineering and is experienced with multiple technologies including: electronics, telecommunications, software, consumer products, medical devices, rechargeable batteries, and steel manufacturing.
Prior to law school, Rex worked as an operations program manager for Teradyne, Inc., in Boston, Massachusetts.
Rex received his J.D. summa cum laude from The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, where he served as the managing editor of the Ohio State Law Journal. He received his Master’s in Business Administration from the Boston College Carroll School of Management and his Masters in Electrical Engineering from Cornell University College of Engineering. Rex received his B.S. from Cornell University.
Professional and Community Activities
- Intellectual Property Owners Association, Member, 2017
Honors & Awards
- Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars, Intellectual Property, 2012-2019
- 1/2/2020Vorys is pleased to announce that Cory Catignani, Brent Craft, Blake Finney, Liam Gruzs, Rex Miller II, Sachiyo Peterson and Anthony Spina became partners on January 1, 2020.
- 12/5/2018Vorys is pleased to announce that 48 attorneys from the firm have been named 2019 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 11/29/2018Congratulations to Vorys’ client and friend, Yubi Beauty LLC, for its product’s recognition on Time magazine’s list of best inventions in 2018. Time recognized the Yubi “Buff and Blend Set” for its innovative approach to applying makeup. Yubi founder, Adiya Dixon Wiggins, created the ergonomic fingertip brush and sponge to make application easier, especially on the go. Vorys assisted Wiggins with the patent application that supports the fingertip brush.
- 12/5/2017Vorys is pleased to announce that 56 attorneys from the firm have been named 2018 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 9/20/2017Rex Miller, an associate in the Vorys Columbus office and a member of the intellectual property group, was quoted in a Super Lawyers story about the pros and cons of filing a provisional application for a patent.
- 12/2/2016Vorys is pleased to announce that 58 attorneys from the firm have been named 2017 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 12/2/2015Vorys is pleased to announce that 63 attorneys from the firm have been named 2016 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 12/4/2018Intellectual Property Alert: Federal Circuit Finds Computer Security Innovation to be Patent-EligibleThe U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit has once again held that a software innovation is eligible for patenting as a claimed improvement in computer functionality.
- 2/13/2018The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit recently opened the door to reviewing one aspect of decisions to institute Inter Partes Review (IPR) under the America Invest Act (AIA).