- Ohio Northern University Pettit College of Law, J.D., 2013, with high distinction
- Ohio Northern University Law Review, editor-in-chief, 2012-2013; staff editor, 2011-2012
- University of Georgia, B.A., 2009, magna cum laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
Erin is an associate in the Vorys Cincinnati office and a member of the litigation group. She concentrates her practice on civil business and employment litigation in state and federal courts. Erin has experience litigating matters relating to corporate governance, contracts, employment disputes, including harassment, discrimination, retaliation, and non-compete agreements, as well as discrimination in places of public accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Erin also represents and counsels businesses in employment matters, including compliance with employment laws, employee discipline and terminations, review and development of policies and practices, and employment contracts. Erin further concentrates her practice in matters unique to colleges and universities, including faculty, staff, and student issues, as well as compliance with laws such as the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and Title IX.
Her notable experience includes:
- Defended national grocery retailer and obtained summary judgment on Section 1981 discrimination claim in federal court
- Defended and resolved disability discrimination and website accessibility case against a public university in federal court in which the Department of Justice intervened
- Defended and resolved discrimination and retaliation claims on behalf of a national telecommunications company in federal court
- Resolved significant breach of contract dispute in federal court on behalf of an Ohio bank
- Assisted in defense and resolution of an age discrimination case against a large national retailer in federal court
- Assisted in defense and resolution of sexual discrimination case against a small business in federal court
- Drafted and revised Title IX policies for Ohio colleges and universities in compliance with Department of Education's 2020 Title IX regulations
- Assisted private college in management and resolution of Title IX investigations and disciplinary process related to students and fraternities
- Assisted in defense of a shareholder and directors of a closely-held corporation at trial and on appeal
- Certified Title IX Investigator by the Association of Title IX Administrators
- Serving as a law clerk for the Honorable David A. Cheney and the Honorable Richard K. Warren in the Allen County Common Pleas Court
- Serving as a legal extern for the Honorable Gregory L. Frost in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
Erin has presented on the issues of discrimination, harassment, and accommodations, including the use of medical and CBD as accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
Erin earned her J.D with high distinction from the Ohio Northern University Pettit College of Law, where she was a member of the Willis Society. She was also the editor-in-chief of the Ohio Northern University Law Review. Erin earned her B.A. magna cum laude from the University of Georgia, where she was a member of the Varsity Equestrian Team.
Professional and Community Activities
- Cincinnati Bar Association, member
- Young Lawyer Section of the Cincinnati Bar Association, CLE Committee Co-Chair, 2018-2020
- WELD (Women for Economic and Leadership Development), Southern Ohio Chapter Steering Committee, member and volunteer
Honors & Awards
- Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars, Litigation, 2021-2022
- The Best Lawyers In America 'Ones to Watch', Labor and Employment Law - Management, 2022
- 1/4/2022Vorys is pleased to announce that 42 attorneys from the firm have been named either 2022 Ohio Super Lawyers or Rising Stars.
- 8/19/2021116 Vorys Attorneys Named to 2022 Best Lawyers in America List; 34 Vorys Attorneys Named to Best Lawyers’ “Ones to Watch” ListOne hundred and sixteen lawyers from Vorys were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in the Best Lawyers in America® 2022 edition. In addition, 34 Vorys attorneys were named to the 2022 Best Lawyers in America “Ones to Watch” list.
- 12/17/2020Vorys is pleased to announce that 31 attorneys from the firm have been named 2021 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 11/15/2019Vorys Attorneys Natalie McLaughlin and Erin French presented at the College and University Professionals Association’s HR Ohio Chapter 2019 Fall Conference on November 15, 2019.
- 10/18/20192019: Presentation to the Association of Independent Colleges and Universities of Ohio and to the Association on Higher Education and Disability in OhioVorys Attorneys Erin French, Elizabeth T. Smith and Mairi Mull spoke at the Ohio Association on Higher Education and Disability (AHEAD) Conference on October 18, 2019.
- 4/18/2019On April 18, 2019, Vorys hosted its annual Cincinnati Labor and Employment Law Update.
- 2/6/2019On February 6, Vorys attorneys Elizabeth Smith and Erin French presented at the Association of Independent College and Universities of Ohio (AICUO) workshop, “Cannabis on Campus” at Franklin University.
- 8/9/2021In May 2021, Indiana University announced that in order to attend on-campus classes and activities, students must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
- 8/2/2021On June 23, 2021, the Supreme Court of the United States issued a decision that limits a public school’s ability to regulate student speech that occurs off-campus at the K-12 level.
- 8/27/2020In line with the Supreme Court’s recent holding in Bostock that Title VII prohibits discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and transgendered status, the Fourth Circuit ruled Wednesday that policies segregating transgender students from their peers are unconstitutional and violate federal law prohibiting sex discrimination in education.
- 6/17/2020U.S. Dept. of Education Issues Interim Final Rule Governing Eligibility for CARES Act Emergency Financial Aid Grants, Effective ImmediatelyToday, June 17, 2020, the U.S. Department of Education (DOE) published an interim final rule giving the force of law to its interpretation of the term “student” as used in the CARES Act.
- 5/27/2020The Department of Education recently announced its implementation of new Title IX regulations governing sexual harassment in education programs and activities that receive federal funding. The new regulations will take effect on August 14, 2020.
- 4/20/2020COVID-19 relief efforts, employment and unemployment factors, and the much-anticipated rebound remain fluid.
- 10/9/2018Last year, in Doe v. University of Cincinnati, 872 F.3d 393 (6th Cir. 2017), the Sixth Circuit held that, when credibility is at issue, the Due Process Clause requires a public university to provide an accused student a hearing with an opportunity to conduct cross-examination.