- University of Toledo College of Law, J.D., 2008, magna cum laude, Order of the Coif
- Wittenberg University, B.A., 2003
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
Cory is an associate in the Vorys Columbus office and a member of the labor and employment group. He represents employers in a variety of industries on a wide range of employment matters, including the Fair Labor Standards Act, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act, the Family and Medical Act Leave, Title VII, state anti-discrimination and retaliation laws, as well as noncompetition, Trade Secret Law and other restrictive covenants.
Cory also provides training and counseling on daily workplace issues, including hiring decisions and disciplinary issues, employment agreements, handbooks, workplace policies and noncompetition, nonsolicitation and confidentiality agreements.
His notable experience includes:
- Decertification of conditionally certified class in a nationwide collective action under the Fair Labor Standards Act
- Obtaining summary judgment for healthcare provider on former employee’s FMLA interference and retaliation claims
- Obtaining dismissal of due process, equal protection, disability discrimination, wrongful termination, and defamation claims against hospital
- Obtaining preliminary injunction for regional bank against former employee for violating noncompete and nonsolicitation agreements
- Counseling employers on compliance with FLSA and state wage and hour laws, including auditing job descriptions to determine proper classifications
- Assisting an insurance company in replacement of their CEO, including review of executive employment agreement
- Negotiating resolution of numerous disputes arising from former employees’ violations of noncompetition, nonsolicitation and nondisclosure agreements
- Representing a government entity in the removal of a police officer and advising the client during investigation and removal process, as well as successfully defending governmental entity during the former officer’s administrative appeal and subsequent appeal
Cory is a member of the Ohio State Bar Association Labor and Employment Law section, the Columbus Bar Association and the Human Resources Association of Central Ohio.
Cory received his J.D. magna cum laude from the University of Toledo College of Law, where he was a member of the Order of the Coif. He received his B.A. from Wittenberg University.
Professional and Community Activities
- Central Ohio Diabetes Association, Board Member
- 6/27/2016Labor and Employment Alert: Federal Court Blocks Enforcement of Department of Labor’s 'Persuader Rule'A federal district judge in Texas today issued a nationwide injunction prohibiting enforcement of the Department of Labor’s (DOL) persuader rule, saying it threatens employers’ rights to secure legal advice about union organization.