George Corey Memorial Scholarship
The diversity of our lawyers is a source of strength and pride, both at Vorys and in our communities. We seek to hire law students from a wide variety of backgrounds who will bring to Vorys unique life experiences and perspectives and serve our clients to the highest standards of professional excellence. We are committed to creating an inclusive culture for all our attorneys, fostering teamwork and providing opportunities for professional growth and personal satisfaction. To build on these goals, Vorys is pleased to offer the George Corey Memorial Scholarship that is open to all first-year law student applicants.
In 2005, the Ohio legal community said goodbye to one of its most beloved members, George Corey. George, a long-time tax partner at Vorys, was an extremely talented attorney who was admired by his colleagues and clients for his legal ability, civic involvement, and dedication to recruiting and mentoring the "best and brightest" from diverse backgrounds and experiences.
- George CoreyMemorial Scholarship
In George’s honor, and to continue his legacy, Vorys established the George Corey Memorial Scholarship for law students whose spirit, drive, and commitment leads them to pursue a career at Vorys and who demonstrate excellence in their backgrounds and bring to Vorys unique life experiences and perspectives.
Law students who are entering their first summer work experience (typically, following completion of the 1L year, but may be later if studying on a part-time basis) and are enrolled at an ABA accredited law school may apply.
Applicants must: (1) demonstrate excellence in their backgrounds; (2) bring to Vorys unique life experiences and perspectives; and (3) exhibit commitment to promoting diversity, equity and inclusion generally, relative to Vorys, and the broader legal profession.
Candidates also must participate in an interview and receive and accept an offer for a paid 10-week Summer Associate position in the next incoming class to be eligible for the scholarship.
The total scholarship is valued up to $15,000. Payment terms of the scholarship are as follows:
- Initial offer and acceptance for a paid Summer Associate position with Vorys - $5,000
- At completion of initial summer program, if student receives and accepts an offer to return for a second, paid Summer Associate position with Vorys - $5,000
- At the conclusion of the second summer program, if student receives and accepts an offer of full-time employment as an Associate with Vorys - $5,000
Following any scholarship payment, if employment is not started as accepted and expected, scholarship recipients will be required to promptly return the scholarship funds.
Candidates interested in the 2024 Vorys Summer Associate Program + George Corey Scholarship may begin submitting the following materials beginning December 1 each year:
- Current resume
- Cover letter - should include the Vorys office(s) you are applying to and any other information you want Vorys to consider when assessing your candidacy that is not in your resume or personal statement
- Current law school transcript (unofficial transcripts are acceptable; if a transcript is not available upon initial submission, it may be submitted once available)
- Undergraduate transcript (unofficial transcripts are acceptable)
- A personal statement - no more than two pages, double spaced that describes any aspects of your background, life experiences, or perspective that you feel best demonstrates your commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion and how such will contribute meaningfully to Vorys and to the legal profession as a whole.
1L students: The deadline to submit materials for the 2024 Summer Program + Scholarship is January 31, 2024. We encourage candidates to submit their applications and supporting materials as soon as they are able and to submit a transcript once it is available after first semester grades are received.
Click Here to Submit Your Materials
As noted, only students who participate in an interview and receive and accept an offer for a paid 10-week Summer Associate position in the next incoming class are eligible for Scholarship consideration. Decisions regarding the George Corey Memorial Scholarship will be made in the Winter, with notification to the recipients soon thereafter. Applicants who have not been selected for the Scholarship will be notified by March 1.
Inquiries regarding our Summer Associate interview process and the Scholarship may be directed to Kayla Allen, Attorney Recruiting and Development Manager. Send an inquiry.
Answers to Frequently Asked Questions
Can eligible candidates apply for a Scholarship in multiple offices?
Yes. If you choose to do so, please note such in your cover letter. Further, understand that you can only be selected in one office.
If not selected as a Scholarship recipient, can I still be considered for a 1L summer position with the firm?
Yes. We consider non-Scholarship recipients for 1L summer positions.
If not selected as a Scholarship recipient, can I later apply for a summer position with the firm as a 2L?
Yes, you are free to and in fact, strongly encouraged to apply for a summer associate position as a 2L. We often continue to recruit impressive candidates who applied but were not selected for a Scholarship for such 2L summer positions.