- Ohio Northern University Pettit College of Law, J.D., 2012, with high distinction
- Ohio Northern University Law Review, associate editor
- Wittenberg University, B.A., 2009, summa cum laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
Zach is an associate in the Columbus office and a member of the finance, energy and real estate group. His practice focuses on commercial finance matters, representing both lenders and large corporate borrowers in a wide range of financing transactions including syndicated loan facilities, asset-based lending facilities, acquisition financings, structured and mezzanine financings, and other secured and unsecured loan facilities.
Zach also regularly represents financial institutions and commercial end-users in connection with over-the-counter derivative transactions under the ISDA Master Agreement, including the drafting and negotiation of related Schedules and Annexes, and various regulatory matters in connection with derivative transactions. He also has experience assisting clients in preparing franchise disclosure documents and in obtaining state franchise registrations.
Zach received his J.D. with high distinction from the Ohio Northern University Pettit College of Law, where he was an associate editor for the Ohio Northern University Law Review and a member of the Willis Society. He received his B.A. summa cum laude from Wittenberg University.
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers in America, Ones to Watch, Banking and Finance Law, 2021-2022
- 8/19/2021116 Vorys Attorneys Named to 2022 Best Lawyers in America List; 34 Vorys Attorneys Named to Best Lawyers’ “Ones to Watch” ListOne hundred and sixteen lawyers from Vorys were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in the Best Lawyers in America® 2022 edition. In addition, 34 Vorys attorneys were named to the 2022 Best Lawyers in America “Ones to Watch” list.
- 6/11/2021Vorys Advises Worthington Industries, Inc. in Acquisition from Affiliates of MiddleGround Capital, LLCVorys recently advised Worthington Industries, Inc. in connection with the acquisition by its Steel Processing business segment, along with its 55% consolidated joint venture TWB Company, LLC, of certain assets of the Shiloh Industries U.S. BlankLight® business, a provider of laser welded solutions.
- 4/27/2021Vorys Advises Air Transport Services Group, Inc. in $200M Senior Notes Offering and $1B Senior Secured Credit FacilityVorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP recently advised Air Transport Services Group, Inc. – a leading provider of aircraft leasing and air cargo transportation and related services – in two significant financing transactions.
- 1/29/2021Vorys Advises Worthington Industries, Inc. with Acquisition of Business Segment from General Tools & Instruments Company LLCVorys recently advised Worthington Industries, Inc. in connection with the acquisition by its Pressure Cylinders segment of General Tools & Instruments Company LLC (General Tools), a provider of feature-rich, specialized tools in various categories including environmental health & safety, precision measurement & layout, home repair & remodel, lawn & garden and specific purpose tools.
- 8/20/2020112 Vorys Attorneys Named to 2021 Best Lawyers in America List; 26 Vorys Attorneys Named to Best Lawyers’ Inaugural “Ones to Watch” ListOne hundred and twelve lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in the Best Lawyers in America® 2021 edition. In addition, 26 Vorys attorneys were named to the inaugural Best Lawyers in America “Ones to Watch” list.
- 10/11/2019Vorys Advises Worthington Industries, Inc. in Acquisition of Heidtman Steel Products, Inc. Facility Located in Cleveland, OhioVorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP recently advised Worthington Industries, Inc. in connection with its acquisition of Heidtman Steel Products, Inc.’s pickling and slitting facility located in Cleveland.
- 9/4/2019Vorys recently advised Worthington Industries, Inc. and two of its European subsidiaries in their €91.7 million private placement offering of senior notes.
- 12/28/2018Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP recently advised Greif, Inc. in its $2.475 billion credit facility and $500 million Notes offering.
- 11/14/2018Vorys recently advised Air Transport Services Group (ATSG) connection with its acquisition of Omni Air International, a Tulsa-based services carrier.
- 7/28/2017Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP recently advised Worthington Industries, Inc. in connection with its underwritten public offering of $200 million aggregate principal amount of its 4.300% Notes due 2032.
- 6/4/2015Vorys Advises A. Schulman, Inc. in Connection with Acquisition of HGGC Citadel Plastics Holdings, Inc.Vorys recently advised A. Schulman, Inc. in connection with senior secured credit facilities provided by a group of lenders led by JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A. as Administrative Agent in connection with its acquisition of HGGC Citadel Plastics Holdings, Inc. (Citadel) for the purchase price of $800 million.
- 1/13/2021Vorys attorneys Nici Workman, Kim Schaefer and Zach Brumfield hosted a webinar on preparing for LIBOR cessation. The webinar focused on key dates relating to LIBOR cessation in 2021, late November LIBOR announcements and regulatory risks for banks who are not prepared to cease making LIBOR loans by the end of 2021.
- 11/20/2019Vorys Attorney Zach Brumfield spoke at the Central Ohio Association for Financial Professional’s (COAFP) event titled, “LIBOR Discontinuance: What you need to know” on November 20, 2019.
- 7/30/2019Vorys partner Nici Workman and associate Zach Brumfield held a webinar titled, “LIBOR Discontinuance: What You Need To Know,” on July 30, 2019.
- 5/16/2019On May 16, 2019, Vorys hosted the program, Trust & Ethics in the Age of Technology, in partnership with the Northeast Ohio Association of Corporate Counsel.
- 4/25/2019On April 25, 2019, Vorys hosted the program, Trust & Ethics in the Age of Technology, in partnership with the Central Ohio Association of Corporate Counsel.
- 4/13/2016Vorys attorney Zach Brumfield was a speaker at Wittenberg University’s Finance Roundtable on April 13, 2016.
- 2/2/2021IBA’s LIBOR Consultation and Banks’ Potential Notice Obligations in respect of a Benchmark Transition EventThe ICE Benchmark Administration Limited (IBA), the administrator of the London Interbank Offered Rate (LIBOR), published a consultation on December 4, 2020 requesting public feedback on its intention to cease the publication of (1) the 1-Week and 2-Month USD LIBOR on December 31, 2021 and (2) the Overnight and 1, 3, 6 and 12 Month USD LIBOR on June 30, 2023 (the IBA Consultation).
- 11/20/2018Earlier this month, Ohio legislation became effective that removes doubt as to the enforceability of electronic signatures, records, and contracts that are secured through blockchain technology. The amendment makes Ohio one of only a few states to expressly identify blockchain technology in its laws – positioning Ohio as a blockchain-friendly state for a technology, around which both regulatory and business uncertainty loom due to its infancy and breadth of potential applications.
- 11/17/2015Recently five federal agencies, The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, the Farm Credit Administration and the Federal Housing Finance Agency, issued much-anticipated joint final rules that establish minimum margin and capital requirements for registered swap dealers, major swap participants, security-based swap dealers and major security-based swap participants for which one of the Agencies is the prudential regulator.
- 3/21/2014Client Alert: Dodd Frank Compliance Date for Notification of Segregation on Horizon for Swap Dealers and Major Swap ParticipantsIn November of 2013, the U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) issued Final Rules on the Protection of Collateral of Counterparties to Uncleared Swaps (the Final Rules).
- Fall 2013The Future of the Commodity Futures Market: How Customer Segregated Accounts Can Be Better Protected From Insolvent Futures Commission MerchantsZachary Brumfield, a staff attorney in the Vorys Columbus office, authored an article for the Fall 2013 edition of the John Marshall Law School Global Markets Law Journal. His article focused on possible strategies to protect customer segregated accounts from insolvent futures commission merchants.
- 3/2013The “Short Cut” To The Stabilization of the Underwater Housing Market: How the New FHFA Short Sale Guidelines Promote Economic EfficiencyZachary Brumfield, a staff attorney in the Vorys Columbus office, authored an article for the March 2013 edition of the Real Estate Law Journal. The article focused on how the new FHFA short sale rules promote economic efficiency.