- Case Western Reserve University School of Law, J.D., 2013, magna cum laude, Order of the Coif
- Case Western Reserve Journal of International Law, executive notes editor
- Miami University, B.A., 2010, magna cum laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- The Honorable Arthur I. Harris, United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio, 2013-2015
Jeff is an associate in the Vorys Cleveland office and a member of the finance, energy and real estate group.
Jeff’s commercial finance practice focuses on the representation of administrative agents, lenders and borrowers in a wide variety of secured and unsecured commercial financing transactions, including syndicated and single-lender financings, asset-based financings and acquisition financings. Jeff’s insolvency practice focuses on chapter 11 reorganizations and other commercial bankruptcy proceedings and litigation, debtors’ and creditors’ rights, and out-of-court workouts and restructurings.
His notable experience includes:
- Represented various regional and national banks, as administrative agent and lender, in connection with numerous asset-based revolving credit facilities involving hundreds of millions of dollars in a variety of industries
- Represented a national bank in connection with the restructuring of senior secured and subordinated financing provided to a multinational American company
- Represented a chapter 11 bankruptcy trustee in connection with the prosecution of over 50 preference actions in the District of Delaware
- Represented a large multinational retailer in its 2017 chapter 11 case in the District of Delaware’
- Represented a diverse array of trade creditors in connection with the defense of fraudulent transfer, preference and nondischargeability actions, including obtaining judgment on the pleadings against a bankruptcy trustee in a preference action in the Northern District of Ohio
- Served as a law clerk for The Honorable Arthur I. Harris, United States Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Ohio
Jeff received his J.D. magna cum laude from the Case Western Reserve University School of Law, where he was the executive notes editor for the Case Western Reserve Journal of International Law. He received his B.A. magna cum laude from Miami University and is a member of Phi Beta Kappa.
- 12/28/2018Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP recently advised Greif, Inc. in its $2.475 billion credit facility and $500 million Notes offering.
- 6/22/2016Several Vorys attorneys were speakers at the 2016 Consumer Financial Services Summit on June 22, 2016 in Columbus, Ohio.
- 2/25/2016Several Vorys attorneys were speakers at the Vorys Consumer Financial Services Summit on February 25, 2016 in Cincinnati, Ohio.
- 10/1/2018Lender Risk Calculus in Financing Leveraged 3 Transactions Changes as Supreme Court Shrinks Securities Transactions Participants’ ‘Safe Harbor’ in Bankruptcy Fraudulent Transfer ActionsJeff Marks, a partner in the Vorys Cincinnati office, and Jeff Bieszczak, an associate in the Vorys Cleveland office, co-authored the feature article for the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association’s Bankruptcy and Commercial Law Section Newsletter Fall 2018 Edition
- Spring 2018Leveraged transactions, such as leveraged buyouts (LBO) and leveraged recapitalizations, carry the risk of being unwound in a later bankruptcy of the party that transferred assets (including granting liens) or incurred obligations in the transaction.
- Spring 2017In a continuing effort to alert our lender clients and other friends to developments in the bankruptcy, restructuring, workout and creditors’ rights space, provided below is a summary of recent noteworthy court decisions.
- Spring 2016Earlier this year, two federal appeals courts decided cases that are significant to lenders whose borrowers are experiencing financial distress. In one case, the court stripped the lender of its secured status because the lender had failed to investigate the borrower’s wrongdoing, despite having notice of suspicious facts.