- University of Denver, Sturm College of Law, J.D., 1988
- University of Michigan, B.A., 1985
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia
Kathleen is of counsel in the Vorys Washington D.C. office and a member of the finance, energy and real estate group. She has more than 28 years experience in Federal Housing Administration (FHA) insured financings and affordable housing transactions. Kathleen is skilled in all aspects of real estate closings, including acquisition financing, new construction, refinancing, nursing home portfolio transactions and master leases.
Prior to joining Vorys, Kathleen spent more than 20 years as an attorney with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) in the Washington D.C. headquarters Office of General Counsel (OGC). She worked as a trial attorney in the office of litigation, attorney-advisor in OGC's single family mortgage division, and senior attorney in OGC's multifamily mortgage division.
Career highlights include:
- Representing a large healthcare private equity firm in obtaining the necessary approvals from HUD for changes in ownership and operation of 80 nursing homes located in 11 states. The purchase transaction of $870 million involved the acquisition of assets of a nationwide healthcare business that included 160 residential care facilities, physical therapy, and pharmacy businesses. In 2018, representation including securing HUD approval of the transfers of operations of 48 nursing homes whose operators had been placed in receivership.
- Serving as the Chief HUD legal subject matter expert on the Section 232 program for healthcare facility loan closings
- Developing the LEAN legal closing protocols for new construction and refinancing transactions
- Developing legal aspects of HUD policies related to accounts receivable financing and master leases for FHA-insured nursing home projects
- Facilitating resolutions of novel issues in connection with originations, servicing, transfers of physical assets, and portfolio closings for healthcare facilities financed with FHA-insured loans
Kathleen has presented at several lender conferences, and at numerous training sessions for lenders, private attorneys, and HUD staff. She also was a speaker at the 2010 National Investment Center Conference. She presented on master leases and accounts receivable financing at the Eastern Lenders Association and Office of Residential Care Facilities Lender and LEAN training in March 2013. Kathleen presented “HUD and Health Care Facilities: Navigating the Rules” at the American Bar Association Forum on Affordable Housing and Community Development Law in May 2013. In addition, she presented on transfers of physical assets at the Mortgage Bankers Association, FHA Healthcare Servicing panel in May 2014.
Kathleen received her J.D. from the University of Denver, Sturm College of Law. She received her B.A. from the University of Michigan.
- 4/12/2012Kathleen Burtschi, of counsel in the firm’s Washington, D.C. office, was profiled in a Law360 article titled “Veteran HUD Atty Jumps To Vorys.” The article was about Burtschi’s 20 years of work at the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and her move to Vorys’ HUD financing practice.
- 4/11/2012Vorys welcomed Kathleen Burtschi as of counsel in the firm’s Washington, D.C. office. Burtschi will join the firm’s Housing and Urban Development (HUD) finance practice, which is one of the largest in the country.
- 5/6/2014Vorys attorney Kathleen Burtschi presented at the Commercial/Multifamily Servicing & Technology Conference hosted by the Mortgage Bankers Association on May 6, 2014.