- Southwestern University School of Law, J.D., 1997
- University of Maryland, B.S. Electrical Engineering, 1986
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Supreme Court of the State of California
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
Khaled is a partner in the Vorys Washington, D.C. office and a member of the technology and intellectual property group. He has a bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering and has worked as a patent examiner in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. He also spent more than 20 years in Silicon Valley counseling tech companies of all sizes and nationalities in building and monetizing their U.S. and international IP portfolios. From start-ups to large multinational concerns, Khaled has closely associated with inventors, engineers and in-house counsel to develop patent incentive programs, harvest inventions, and draft and prosecute patent applications, implementing effective strategies to build strong IP positions in the marketplace. He also successfully represented parties in post patent grant proceedings, and has counseled clients in patent infringement, validity, and freedom-to-operate matters.
Khaled’s technical expertise includes computer software and hardware, networking, cloud storage and computing, memory devices, EDA and circuit design, clean energy, battery technology, avionics and aeronautics, electro-optics, imaging, and medical devices.
Prior to joining Vorys, Khaled was the co-founder of the IP boutique law firm Shami Messinger PLLC and earlier in his career he served as a partner at other IP boutique and general practice law firms.
- 9/15/2021Vorys announced today that Khaled Shami and Mike Messinger have joined the firm as partners in the intellectual property (IP) group in the Washington, D.C. office.