- Labor and Employment
- University of Notre Dame Law School, J.D., 1989, magna cum laude
Notre Dame Law Review, Executive Articles Editor, 1988-1989
- Miami University, B.S., 1984
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
- The Honorable Alan E. Norris, U. S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, 1989-1990
Gary is a partner in the Vorys Columbus office and a member of the litigation practice group. He represents companies in complex commercial, product liability litigation, and advises clients on document retention and e-discovery obligations.
Gary serves on national counsel trial teams and as Ohio counsel in toxic tort litigation for Fortune 500 companies.
Gary also advises clients on the identification, preservation and collection of ESI and designs litigation hold protocols to ensure compliance with federal and state rules. He has worked with corporate, environmental, and labor attorneys to develop efficient and compliant document retention, IT, and archiving practices. He has presented to judges, local rules committees, and practitioners on ESI at the Sixth Circuit Judicial Conference and at various CLEs in the Midwest.
Gary received his J.D. magna cum laude from Notre Dame Law School where he was the Executive Articles Editor of the Notre Dame Law Review. He received his B.S. from Miami University.
Gary clerked for The Honorable Alan E. Norris of the U. S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.
Before joining Vorys, Gary served in the U. S. Department of Justice, Office of Legal Counsel in 1989 and was an Assistant District Attorney in Harris County, Texas from 1996-1997.
Honors & Awards
- Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus, 2010-2018
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Business Litigation, 2005-2006
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- Columbus Bar Association Community Service Award, 1993
- Fellow of the Columbus Bar Association since 1995
- 3/28/2017This year, 54 Vorys attorneys were listed in the 2017 Columbus CEO “Top Lawyers” List.
- 5/27/2014Doug Matthews and Gary Saalman, partners in the litigation group in the Vorys Columbus office, and Julie Brown, the firm’s litigation technology executive manager, were quoted throughout a Columbus C.E.O. article titled “E-Data Explosion in Business Law.”
- 9/12/2013OSHA’s proposed silica rule, supported by 800 pages of background information and scientific literature, was published in the Federal Register on September 12, 2013. The comment period, which commences with this date of publication will last 90 days (i.e., until December 11, 2013). Hearings will begin on March 4, 2014.
- 7/24/2013Client Alert: NIOSH Studies Worker Exposure to Silica During Hydraulic Fracturing and Issues An AlertThe Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), in collaboration with the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), has issued a "Hazard Alert" for the oil and gas industry regarding worker exposure to crystalline silica. The alert merits the attention of all who are involved with hydraulic fracturing operations.
- 12/20/2012Ohio Governor John Kasich today signed the Amended Substitute House Bill 380, which requires the full disclosure of all asbestos bankruptcy trust claims made by plaintiffs with asbestos lawsuits in Ohio. The law will go into effect 90 days from today.
- 12/14/2012The Ohio General Assembly this week passed Amended Substitute House Bill 380, which requires the full disclosure of all asbestos bankruptcy trust claims made by plaintiffs with asbestos lawsuits in Ohio. The bill is headed to Governor John Kasich’s desk; he is expected to sign the bill.
- December 2006