- Corporate and Business Organizations
- Information Technology, New Media and Advertising
- Intellectual Property, Entertainment, and Technology Protection
- Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law, J.D., 1992
- American University, B.A., 1989
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
Sean is a partner in the Vorys Washington, D.C. office practicing corporate and international law with a focus on transactional matters, compliance counseling and international finance.
Sean advises for-profit and non-profit organizations on a wide variety of corporate and commercial matters both domestically and abroad. Sean regularly counsels businesses on compliance with U.S. laws in the context of transborder transactions and multinational operations, such as the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), U.S. export laws, the conflict minerals rule, the sanctions programs administered by the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), and the regulations of the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS).
Sean regularly represents lenders in trade finance transactions, and has extensive experience with transactions insured or guaranteed by the Export-Import Bank of the United States (EXIM Bank).
Additionally, Sean assists clients with intellectual property transactions, including the licensing of trademarks, patents and other intellectual property; agreements regarding international distribution; and M&A transactions.
Representative engagements include:
- Representing an Austrian bank in the limited recourse structured financing of wind energy projects in Italy, Scotland and England, under EXIM Bank’s foreign currency guarantee program
- Representing a U.S. lender in an EXIM Bank guaranteed credit transaction for the purchase of multiple U.S. aircraft by a Nigerian airline
- Representing a U.S. lender in an EXIM Bank guaranteed credit transaction for the purchase of U.S. grain silos by a Ukrainian company
- Representing a U.S. national bank in financing the design, development and construction of a solar power plant in Korea
- Representing U.S. national and state banks in negotiating and documenting multiple revolving short-term credit facilities to Mexican borrowers and accounts receivables financing and working capital facilities to U.S. exporters, utilizing EXIM Bank guarantees and credit insurance
- Representing U.S. lenders and exporters in negotiating and documenting numerous export credits and loans to foreign borrowers to support the export of U.S. capital goods, equipment and turn-key manufacturing plants to Africa, Central America, the Caribbean, South America, Asia and Eastern Europe
- Representing lenders in the sale and participation of EXIM Bank insured and guaranteed transactions to the Private Export Funding Corporation (PEFCO)
Sean has presented seminars on compliance with the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, U.S. Export Controls, and the U.S. Anti-Boycott Laws. He has written and presented on topics involving programs and products of the Export-Import Bank of the United States.
Sean is admitted to practice in the District of Columbia and the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Sean received his J.D. from the Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law and his B.A. from the American University.
- 6/11/2021Vorys Advises Worthington Industries, Inc. in Acquisition from Affiliates of MiddleGround Capital, LLCVorys recently advised Worthington Industries, Inc. in connection with the acquisition by its Steel Processing business segment, along with its 55% consolidated joint venture TWB Company, LLC, of certain assets of the Shiloh Industries U.S. BlankLight® business, a provider of laser welded solutions.
- 1/29/2021Vorys Advises Worthington Industries, Inc. with Acquisition of Business Segment from General Tools & Instruments Company LLCVorys recently advised Worthington Industries, Inc. in connection with the acquisition by its Pressure Cylinders segment of General Tools & Instruments Company LLC (General Tools), a provider of feature-rich, specialized tools in various categories including environmental health & safety, precision measurement & layout, home repair & remodel, lawn & garden and specific purpose tools.
- 9/29/2017Vorys announced that M. Sean Purcell will assume the role of managing partner of the firm’s Washington, D.C. office on January 1, 2018. Joseph D. Lonardo, the current Washington office managing partner, will retire at the end of 2017.
- 9/11/2014Sean Purcell, a partner in the Vorys Washington, D.C. office, was quoted in a Law360 story about a proposal by the Republicans in the U.S. House of Representatives to extend the Export-Import Bank of the U.S. through the middle of 2015.
- 5/1/2014Vorys partners Ken Rubin and Sean Purcell presented at the Ohio State Bar Association Annual Convention on May 1, 2014 on the topic of Foreign Corrupt Practices Act compliance and investigations.
- 3/11/2021On Wednesday, March 10th, the House passed the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021, the third major federal COVID-19 relief act following the CARES Act and the December 2020 Consolidated Appropriations Act. President Biden is expected to sign it into law Friday.
- 12/27/2020Late on December 27, the President signed a $900 billion relief package that will provide aid to individuals and businesses still struggling with the economic impact of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Both the House and the Senate passed the proposal last week.
- 2/18/2020Client Alert: Recent Changes to the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS) RegulationsNew regulations governing the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS) took effect on February 13, 2020.
- 1/19/2015Justin Roberts, partner in the litigation group in the Cleveland office, and Sean Purcell, a partner in the corporate group in the Washington, D.C. office, authored an article for Crain’s Cleveland Business titled “Don’t Buy an FCPA Problem in an Overseas Deal.”
- 11/19/2014Sean Purcell, a partner in the Vorys Washington, D.C. office and a member of the corporate group, authored an article for BNA’s Banking Report titled “Good for Business: How Lenders Can Benefit From Ex-Im Bank Charter Extension.”
- 8/27/2012Client Alert: The SEC’s Final “Conflict Mineral” Rule Has Been Adopted and Will Impact Companies Whose Products Contain Tin, Tantalum, Tungsten and GoldOn August 22, 2012, the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (the SEC) adopted its final rule requiring public disclosure by certain companies that file reports with the SEC and whose products contain tin, tantalum, tungsten or gold (conflict minerals).
- May 2005