Attorneys & Professionals
As part of our dedication to helping our clients stay up-to-date on the ever-changing landscape as it relates to the COVID-19 pandemic, we’ve compiled the following highlights of changes to patent, trademark, and copyright operations around the world.
The following are a few recent updates identified in the past month. However, as always, a complete list of countries may be found in our Google Document.
- The Federal Circuit updated its public access restrictions to the National Courts Building complex limiting access to court staff and litigants, witnesses, and any other parties who will be physically present in the courthouse because of their participation in a scheduled hearing that day. Additional requests for access will still be handled on a case-by-case basis when submitted in writing at least 24 hours ahead of time. The restrictions remain in effect through June 30, 2021.
- The Indian IP Office has confirmed that, following a court order, all deadlines for proceedings, filings, evidences, and/or payment of fees that fall after March 15, 2020 "stand withdrawn." The suspension of deadlines will last until a date is decided by the Supreme Court, the note says, and is made "to minimise the hardship to litigants and the public."
- The Singapore IP Office has informed users that, following a government announcement of 'heightened alert' to tackle a rise in COVID-19 cases, it will continue its services "uninterrupted" but with some modifications. The filing of trademarks and registered designs will continue on IP Singapore's online portal and mobile app. However, all face-to-face services will remain unavailable "until further notice".
- The Latvian IP Office (LRPV) has reminded users that they must arrange a prior appointment (via email or phone) for any face-to-face services. Furthermore, the LRPV's library read room remains closed to visitors.
- Other general closures & deadline extensions have been added to the document.
If you have any patent or trademark questions during this time, do not hesitate to contact us.