Patent Office Updates You Need to Know (July 21, 2020)
As part of our dedication to helping our clients stay up-to-date on the ever-changing landscape as it relates to the COVID-19 pandemic, we’ve compiled the following highlights of changes to patent, trademark, and copyright operations around the world.
As always, a complete list of countries may be found in our Google Document.
- European Patent Office (EPO) has announced that Applicants can delay payment of renewal fees due from June 1 through August 31 without incurring any late fees. EPO has released three joint statements with the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), the Japan Patent Office (JPO), and the Korean Intellectual Property Office (KIPO) including extending fee deadlines, providing time extensions, and offering flexibility on hearings through video conferences or postponements.
- The EPO is providing e-learning centre Courses for Oral proceedings by videoconference before opposition divisions.
- The Intellectual Property Office of the United Kingdom (UKIPO) has provided a certification that the period of interruption will end on July 29 and normal operations will resume on July 30, 2020.
- Australia (IP Australia) announced a free streamlined extension of time for COVID-19 disruptions. A free streamlined extension can be requested for a period of up to three months. To apply, go to eServices and select an extension of time for "circumstances beyond the control of the person."
- Canada (CIPO) announced that most deadlines that fall between March 16, 2020, and August 7 2020, are extended until August 10, 2020.
- Other general closures & deadline extensions have been added to the document.
If you have any patent or trademark questions during this time, do not hesitate to contact us.
Vorys COVID-19 Task Force
Vorys attorneys and professionals are counseling our clients in the myriad issues related to the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. We have also established a comprehensive Coronavirus Task Force, which includes attorneys with deep experience in the niche disciplines that we have been and expect to continue receiving questions regarding coronavirus. Learn more and see the latest updates from the task force at vorys.com/coronavirus.