- Corporate and Business Organizations
- Government Relations
- Health Care
- Northwestern University School of Law, J.D., 1992
Northwestern University Journal of International Law and Business, Articles Editor, 1991-1992
- The Ohio State University, B.A., 1989, summa cum laude, with Distinction, Phi Beta Kappa
Bar & Court Admissions
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
Scott Powell is a partner in the Vorys Columbus office and is co-chair of the firm's Strategic Operations and Planning Committee. Scott has more than 27 years of experience as a federal tax attorney and is the former chair of the firm’s probate and tax group. He now works closely with Vorys eControl, a nationally recognized practice that develops customized, comprehensive solutions to protect and grow brands’ value by controlling sales in the age of eCommerce.
Although Scott’s practice has focused on federal taxation, he also has extensive experience working with governmental and quasi-governmental entities as general counsel as well as advising clients with respect to the operation, purchase, and sale of corporate aircraft.
Scott received his bachelor’s degree summa cum laude with distinction from The Ohio State University. In addition to being a Phi Beta Kappa, Scott was a three-year letterman on the Ohio State football team. He went on to receive his J.D. from Northwestern University School of Law where he was the articles editor of the Northwestern University Journal of International Law and Business.
Scott is also a member of the Columbus Bar Association.
He has lectured on the topics of mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, employee fringe benefits, taxation of litigation settlements, and wage and payroll reporting.
Professional and Community Activities
- The Ohio State University, Department of English Alumni Advisory Committee, 2007-2015
- Mental Health of America of Franklin County, 2004-2010; President, 2008-2009
- Friendship Village of Columbus, Secretary, 2000-present
- The Unverferth House Board of Trustees, 1998-2006
- Phoenix Theatre Circle, Board of Trustees, 2007-2011; Vice President, 2009
- New Life Community Outreach, Board of Trustees, 2011-2013
- Netcare Access, Board of Directors, 2013-present; Vice President, 2018-present
- Melissa's House, Board of Directors, 2017-present
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, Tax Law, 2015-2021
- Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars, Tax, 2005-2006
- Fellow of the Columbus Bar Foundation since 2005
- 8/20/2020112 Vorys Attorneys Named to 2021 Best Lawyers in America List; 26 Vorys Attorneys Named to Best Lawyers’ Inaugural “Ones to Watch” ListOne hundred and twelve lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in the Best Lawyers in America® 2021 edition. In addition, 26 Vorys attorneys were named to the inaugural Best Lawyers in America “Ones to Watch” list.
- 8/15/2019One hundred and thirteen lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2020.
- 8/15/2018One hundred and thirteen lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2019.
- 8/17/2017One hundred and eight lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2018.
- 8/15/2016One-hundred and eleven lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2017.
- 8/17/2015One-hundred and eighteen lawyers from Vorys were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2016.
- 8/18/2014One-hundred and ten lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2015.
- 12/4/2018Client Alert: New IRS Proposed Regulations Under Section 956 Substantially Reduce ‘Deemed Dividend’ Concerns With Respect To The Use Of Foreign Credit Support For US Corporate FinancingsOn October 31, 2018, the Internal Revenue Service and the Department of the Treasury released proposed regulations under Section 956 of the Internal Revenue Code (Proposed Regulations) that, for certain U.S. corporate shareholders, generally undo the “deemed dividend” rules that have applied to foreign corporate subsidiaries for decades.
- 1/5/2018Beginning in 2018, an individual taxpayer generally may deduct 20% of his or her share of “qualified business income” from a U.S. trade or business operated through a partnership (including an LLC treated as a partnership for federal income tax purposes), S corporation, or sole proprietorship (including an LLC treated as a disregarded entity for federal income tax purposes) (the QBI Deduction).
- 1/2/2018The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (the “Act”) was signed into law on December 22.
- 12/29/2017The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (the “Act”) was signed into law on December 22. The Act brings about immediate, sweeping changes to the federal income tax laws, affecting businesses and business owners across all industries. Most provisions of the Act are effective for taxable years beginning after December 31, 2017. Certain provisions, however, are retroactive to September or November of 2017.
- 8/6/2015Pursuant to recently enacted legislation, filing deadlines for federal partnership information returns (Form 1065), S corporation information returns (Form 1120S) and C corporation income tax returns (Form 1120) have been changed.