- The Ohio State University, MBA, 2011
- Miami University, B.A., 2003
Rob is the firm’s chief marketing and business development officer and focuses a portion of his practice on helping firm clients navigate a variety of communications and public relations challenges. He has supported clients in a variety of industries, including financial services, health care, higher education, energy, pharmaceutical and not-for-profits. With a focus on crises communications, Rob understands what messages, timing and tactics best smooth over difficult situations being pursued by media.
As a former print journalist in Ohio and suburban Chicago, Rob covered hundreds of cases and trials in both civil and criminal courts. While earning his MBA, he focused on marketing messaging and business communications and previously led the public relations initiatives for The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law.
Notable experience includes:
- Preparing messaging and a press announcement for a grocer involved in a major credit card data breach
- Assisting administrators of a high school to craft a media response strategy and talking points following a disagreement between the school and a state athletic association
- Crafting a media statement, customer letters, website statement, talking points, and call center scripts for a health care provider involved in a large data breach
- Crafting media plans that support and advance in-court litigation strategies on behalf of both corporate defendants and plaintiffs
- Drafting a media response for executives of a Vorys business client after a workplace accident garnered media attention
- Preparing communication to shareholders on behalf of bank executives
- Training company executives on a proper response to media inquiries following an employee’s termination
Rob has spoken frequently on crisis communications and other topics to Honda of America suppliers, The Ohio State University and the Columbus Bar Association.
He is a member of the Public Relations Society of America Central Ohio Chapter.
Rob received his MBA from The Ohio State University Fisher College of Business. He earned his B.A. from Miami University. Rob holds an Accreditation in Public Relations (APR) from the Universal Accreditation Board.
Rob is not licensed to practice law in any state and does not provide legal services.
Professional and Community Activities
- Legal Marketing Association - Ohio Chapter, Board of Trustees
- Law and Leadership Institute, Communications Committee
- National Multiple Sclerosis Society, Ohio Buckeye Chapter, Volunteer
- 2/23/2018The Vorys Economic Development Incentives Conference was held on February 23, 2018 in Columbus, OH.
- 10/15/2015Vorys and The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law presented a two-day program, In-House Essential Conference on October 15-16, 2015.
- 4/14/2015Rob Phillips and Jen House, members of the Vorys strategic communications practice, presented "Crisis Communications - Strategic Planning and Critical Thinking" at The Ohio State University on April 14, 2015.
- 10/2/2014Rob Phillips, who leads Vorys' strategic communications initiative, along with Ed Miller, of Fahlgren Mortine, delivered a presentation titled "PR in a Crisis: Scenarios to Prepare You."
- 11/12/2018Considering a headquarters relocation or the construction of a new facility? As you navigate seeking incentives for your projects, it is important to keep in mind that many of the public entities that you will be negotiating with are subject to various “sunshine laws” that could lead to public disclosure of your project before you are ready to have the information become public.
- 2/19/2016We understand that incoming calls from reporters and media outlets can be scary. It’s natural to not want to comment and, instead, ignore the reporter’s call.
- 8/20/2015Rob Phillips, the firm’s senior manager of strategic communications, recently authored an article for PR Daily titled “Why you should talk to your employees first in a crisis.” The article focused on the importance of including internal communication in your response to crises.