- Antitrust and Trade Regulation Litigation
- Corporate and Business Organizations
- Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation
- Franchising and Distribution
- Franchising and Distribution
- Intellectual Property, Entertainment, and Technology Protection
- Labor and Employment
- Workers' Compensation
Attorneys & Professionals
Twelve Vorys attorneys have been named 2020 Lawyers of the Year by Best Lawyers. Each year, only a single lawyer in each specialty in each community is honored as the “Lawyer of the Year.” According to Best Lawyers, lawyers being honored as “Lawyer of the Year” have earned a high level of respect among other lawyers in the same communities and the same practice areas for their abilities, professionalism and integrity. The Vorys lawyers and their selections are listed below.
- Brad Sinnott has been named the 2020 Best Lawyers’ Columbus Workers' Compensation Law – Employers Lawyer of the Year. Brad is a partner and member of the labor and employment practice group. He is a trial lawyer and represents a number of Ohio's largest employers in employment law matters, ranging from industrial injury to civil rights claims.
- Dan Jaffe has been named the 2020 Best Lawyers’ Columbus Tax Law Lawyer of the Year. Dan is a partner and member of the tax group. His tax practice includes mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, partnerships, LLCs, joint ventures, S corporations, real estate, restructurings, workouts, venture capital, business planning, executive compensation, financing and equity transactions, international transactions and tax controversies.
- James Wilson has been named the 2020 Best Lawyers’ Columbus Litigation – Antitrust Lawyer of the Year. Jim is a partner and member of the litigation practice group. He has litigated and tried a wide variety of antitrust and complex business matters over nearly thirty years, including class, injunctive and multidistrict actions, involving issues of price-fixing, tying arrangements, vertical restraints, and alleged monopolization.
- John Weimer has been named the 2020 Best Lawyers’ Columbus Equipment Finance Law Lawyer of the Year. John is a partner and leader of the finance practice group. He represents borrowers and lenders in all types of commercial finance transactions ranging from syndicated secured credit facilities to public notes offerings to securitization facilities to receivables purchase transactions.
- Jon Vaughn has been named the 2020 Best Lawyers’ Columbus Litigation – Labor and Employment Lawyer of the Year. Jon is a partner and member of the labor and employment group. Jon defends clients in federal and state court in litigation arising from employment discrimination laws, the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), as well as other statutory and common law claims.
- Judy Marsh has been named the 2020 Best Lawyers’ Columbus Franchise Law Lawyer of the Year. Judy is a partner where her practice focuses on commercial and business law, with an emphasis on general commercial transactions and the Uniform Commercial Code, commercial finance, and franchising and distribution law.
- Linda Mendel has been named the 2020 Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law Lawyer of the Year. Linda is of counsel and a member of the labor and employment group. Linda’s practice is concentrated in the area of employee benefits and she works with employers and multiemployer plans on health and welfare benefit plan issues.
- Mark Vannatta has been named the 2020 Best Lawyers’ Columbus Nonprofit/Charities Law Lawyer of the Year. Mark is a partner and member of the tax group. He practices in the area of estate planning, with an emphasis on estate, gift, and generation-skipping transfer tax savings, estate and trust administration, and probate law.
- Mike Settineri has been named the 2020 Best Lawyers’ Columbus Energy Law Lawyer of the Year. Mike is a partner and member of the energy group. He advises clients in utility and energy matters, including litigation before the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio, the Ohio Power Siting Board, and the Ohio Oil and Gas Commission.
- Bret Treier has been named the 2020 Best Lawyers’ Akron Corporate Law Lawyer of the Year. Bret is the managing partner of the Vorys Akron office and a member of the corporate group. His practice focuses primarily on representation of public and significant private companies, which he counsels regularly on a broad range of matters involving acquisitions, dispositions and other transactions, corporate governance, securities law compliance and reporting including executive compensation and disclosure issues, and public offerings of debt and equity securities.
- Mark Watkins has been named the 2020 Best Lawyers’ Akron Litigation - Intellectual Property Lawyer of the Year. Mark is a partner and member of the technology and intellectual property group and Vorys eControl. His practice focuses on all facets of intellectual property protection, including patent, trademark, copyright, trade secrets, and intellectual property litigation.
- Mark Norman has been named the 2020 Best Lawyers’ Cincinnati Litigation – Environmental Lawyer of the Year. Mark is a partner and member of the energy and environmental group. His practice includes all areas of environmental law, including litigation, dispute resolution, business and transactional matters and advising on regulatory issues.
More than 100 Vorys attorneys were included on the 2020 Best Lawyers in America ® List. Click here to see a full listing of the firm’s 2020 Best Lawyers.
About Vorys: Vorys was established in 1909 and has grown to be one of the largest Ohio–based law firms with nearly 375 attorneys in seven offices in Columbus, Cincinnati, Cleveland and Akron, Ohio; Washington, D.C.; Houston, Texas; and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Vorys currently ranks as one of the 200 largest law firms in the United States according to American Lawyer magazine.