Labor and Employment
- Employment Litigation
Employment Relations, Policies, and Regulatory Practice
- Drug and Alcohol Policies and Testing
- Employee Discipline and Termination
- Employment Counseling
- Employment Policies and Manuals
- Equal Employment Opportunity
- Family and Medical Leave Act
- Management Training
- Whistleblower Protection
- Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act ("WARN")
- Workplace Harassment, Including Sexual Harassment
- Workplace Safety
- Capital University Law School, J.D., 1986, summa cum laude, Order of Curia
Capital University Law Review, Executive Articles Editor, 1985-1986
- The Ohio State University, B.A., 1982, cum laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
Brad is a partner in the Vorys Columbus office and a member of the labor and employment practice group. He is a trial lawyer and represents a number of Ohio's largest employers in employment law matters, ranging from industrial injury to civil rights claims. All of his work relates to employment relations and his practice emphasizes the defense of disability claims. Many of his cases involve complex medical issues.
Career highlights include:
- Selected by peers as the Woodward/White Lawyer of the Year in 2020 for Central Ohio workers’ compensation defense
- Consistently being voted one of the Woodward-White Best Lawyers in America
- Many years as a Martindale-Hubbell AV-rated lawyer, the highest rating for professional competency and ethics
Brad is a member of the Columbus Bar Association. He is active in the Ohio Self-Insurers Association and the Central Ohio Self-Insurers Association.
Brad is a frequent lecturer at trade association and commercial seminars, including the National Federation of State Medical Boards, the Ohio Academy of Trial Lawyers and the Ohio Self-Insurers Association. Topics on which he has spoken include the defense of workers' compensation claims, the defense of wrongful discharge suits and compliance with disability discrimination law.
Brad received his J.D. summa cum laude from Capital University Law School where he was Order of Curia and first in his class. He was also a member of the Capital University Law Review, and served as its executive articles editor. He received his B.A. cum laude from The Ohio State University.
Professional and Community Activities
- Franklin County Republican Party Central Committee, Chairman, 2004–present
- Ohio State Medical Board, appointed by Governor George Voinovich with consent of Senate, October, 1993-September, 1998
- Franklin County Board of Elections, 2012-present
- Kasich-Taylor for Ohio, Treasurer, 2009-present
- Past Fellow of the National Federation of State Medical Boards
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, Columbus Workers' Compensation Law-Employers "Lawyer of the Year," 2020
- The Best Lawyers in America, Workers’ Compensation Law - Employers, 2017-2021
- Columbus Monthly Best Lawyers in Central Ohio
- Cincinnati Magazine Top Ohio Lawyers
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Workers’ Compensation, 2017-2020
- Cleveland Magazine Ohio Super Lawyers
- Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus, 2017-2018
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- 8/20/2020112 Vorys Attorneys Named to 2021 Best Lawyers in America List; 26 Vorys Attorneys Named to Best Lawyers’ Inaugural “Ones to Watch” ListOne hundred and twelve lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in the Best Lawyers in America® 2021 edition. In addition, 26 Vorys attorneys were named to the inaugural Best Lawyers in America “Ones to Watch” list.
- 12/9/2019Vorys is pleased to announce that 39 attorneys from the firm have been named 2020 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 8/15/2019One hundred and thirteen lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2020.
- 8/15/2019Twelve Vorys attorneys have been named 2020 Lawyers of the Year by Best Lawyers. Each year, only a single lawyer in each specialty in each community is honored as the “Lawyer of the Year.”
- 12/5/2018Vorys is pleased to announce that 48 attorneys from the firm have been named 2019 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 8/15/2018One hundred and thirteen lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2019.
- 12/5/2017Vorys is pleased to announce that 56 attorneys from the firm have been named 2018 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 8/17/2017One hundred and eight lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2018.
- 3/28/2017This year, 54 Vorys attorneys were listed in the 2017 Columbus CEO “Top Lawyers” List.
- 12/2/2016Vorys is pleased to announce that 58 attorneys from the firm have been named 2017 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 8/15/2016One-hundred and eleven lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2017.
- 12/2/2015Vorys is pleased to announce that 63 attorneys from the firm have been named 2016 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 8/17/2015One-hundred and eighteen lawyers from Vorys were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2016.
- 12/3/2014Vorys is pleased to announce that 74 attorneys from the firm have been named 2015 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 8/18/2014One-hundred and ten lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2015.
- 12/4/2013Eighty-one attorneys from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP have been named 2014 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars. 57 Vorys attorneys were named 2014 Ohio Super Lawyer and 24 Vorys attorneys were named 2014 Ohio Rising Stars.
- 8/14/2013One hundred and eleven lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2014.
- 12/17/2012Seventy-Seven attorneys from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease have been named 2013 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 8/23/2012One hundred and twenty-six lawyers from Vorys were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2013.
- 9/7/2018On September 7, 2018, Vorys hosted the annual Workers’ Compensation Client Briefing in Columbus, Ohio.
- 9/9/2016Vorys attorneys Dan Balmert, Corrine Carman, Margaret Everett, Scott Jamieson, Andrew Kaplan, Ted Mattis, Buz Minor, Brad Sinnott, Carl Smallwood, Elizabeth Smith, Ken Stump, Jerry Webbs and Rosemary Welsh were speakers at the annual Vorys Workers' Compensation Annual Client Briefing on September 9, 2016.
- 9/21/2012Several Vorys attorneys presented at the invitation-only Best Practices in Ohio Workers' Compensation Client Briefing on September 21.
- 12/27/2020Late on December 27, the President signed a $900 billion relief package that will provide aid to individuals and businesses still struggling with the economic impact of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Both the House and the Senate passed the proposal last week.
- 10/8/2020As the November 3, 2020 General Election draws near and political activity is heating up, below is a brief reminder regarding political contribution limits and restrictions applicable to federal and Ohio elections.
- 6/19/2020Sweeping changes to the Ohio Workers’ Compensation Act were made when Am. Sub. H.B. 81 was signed into law by Governor Mike DeWine on June 16, 2020.
- 3/13/2020The Ohio Industrial Commission announced today that all workers’ compensation hearings will be suspended from Monday, March 16 to Tuesday, March 17, 2020. Beginning Wednesday, March 18, the Commission will begin conducting some hearings by telephone.
- 1/11/2018Labor and Employment Alert: New Rule Designed To Improve Outcomes Following Low Back Injuries Effective on January 1, 2018The Bureau of Workers’ Compensation will no longer reimburse spinal fusion surgery unless the injured worker first satisfies a protocol, which among other things requires at least 60 days of conservative care for low back pain.
- 8/10/2017The Bureau of Workers’ Compensation is considering a new rule to discourage the use of opioid medication and surgery for low back injuries in favor of conservative treatment.
- 5/23/2017The Ohio Workers’ Compensation system is a part of the opioid crisis in Ohio because injured workers have a very high level of opioid use.
- 8/2/2016Labor and Employment Alert: Workers’ Compensation Retaliation Does Not Require a Workplace Injury Under Ohio LawOhio Workers’ Compensation law prohibits employers from retaliating against employees who seek workers’ compensation benefits.
- 7/30/2014Perhaps as many as 200,000 Ohio employers are eligible to participate in a $420 million refund program but they must apply for a refund by September 22, 2014. Eligible employers have paid premium to the Bureau of Workers’ Compensation between 2001-2008, not been “group rated” during all of that time and paid their premium based on certain “manual classifications.”