Jason is a partner in the Vorys Houston office and a member of the intellectual property (IP) group. He serves as a co-chair of firm’s national trademark and copyright team.
For nearly 20 years, Jason has counseled clients on a wide array of IP law including patents, trademarks, trade dress, false advertising, copyright, publicity and trade secrets. He routinely provides guidance and counseling on all aspects of trademark and patent prosecution and transactions. Jason has also represented clients in federal courts and before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
Jason has served as lead trial counsel in copyright, trademark and patent cases that have proceed through jury trial verdict and beyond.
Jason has advised many Fortune 100 companies on matters concerning copyright, trademark, trade secret, patent and false advertising.
- Representing a financial services company in a successful motion to dismiss a patent infringement claims at the pleading stage in the Eastern District of Texas based on a failure to state a cognizable claim of infringement
- Obtained a favorable settlement as lead trial counsel defending copyright infringement claims for a public downstream energy company in Northern District of Texas
- Obtained a favorable jury verdict as lead trial counsel defending claims of copyright infringement and Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) claim for a major hedge fund in Southern District of Texas
- Obtained a dismissal for Silicon Valley startup of a core copyright claim brought by craigslist relating to copies of user generated content in Northern District of California
- Obtained a favorable settlement for an energy operations company defending copyright infringement claims in Southern District of Texas
- Obtained a favorable settlement as lead trial counsel defending copyright claims in the Northern District of Texas for consulting and engineering services firm
- Obtained a complete victory for a construction company against claims of copyright infringement of architectural plans in the Northern District of Texas
- Providing advice and counsel to a major airline regarding advertising claim formulation and analysis of substantiation
- Providing advice and counsel on trademark, copyright and advertising matters to a leading online dating services provider
- Managing the copyright portfolio registration and strategy for a leading architectural firm
- Defending multiple IP lawsuits alleging copyright, trademark and related claims for a major production studio
- Managing client review and the purchase of an IP asset portfolio that included patents and pending applications, software and underlying copyrights, trademarks and trade secrets for an energy services company
In addition to his IP work, Jason has extensive experience counseling clients on advertising and marketing law. He has performed regulatory compliance reviews and developed compliance programs to manage risk related to advertising, social media initiatives and content management and acquisitions.
Jason has served as a board member on for-profit companies (including a top 25 financial institution) as well as service boards for community or industry organizations.
Jason received his J.D. cum laude from Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law and his B.S. in biology and chemistry from Ouachita Baptist University.
Before attending law school, Jason spent eight years serving in the U.S. Army National Guard in a number of states.
Honors & Recognitions
DAYL Foundation Sustaining Life Fellow
Best Lawyers in Dallas, D Magazine, 2020
BTI Client Service All-Star, Intellectual Property, 2016
Texas Rising Star, Texas Monthly Magazine, 2010, 2012, 2015
Honorable Discharge, U.S. Army, Infantry NCO, 2000
News & Insights
Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law, J.D., cum laude
Ouachita Baptist University, B.S.
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Northern District of Texas
- Eastern District of Texas
- Western District of Texas
- Southern District of Texas
- United States Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States Supreme Court
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.