- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Business and Commercial
- Class Actions
- Consumer Lending and Lender Liability
- Data Privacy and Information Security
- Employment Litigation
- Government Entities
- Insurance and Insurance Coverage
- Personal Injury
- Public Contracting Disputes
- Toxic Torts
- Trust and Estate Litigation
- Privacy & Data Security
- Northern Kentucky University Chase College of Law, J.D., 2007, cum laude
- Northern Kentucky Law Review, Associate Editor
- Xavier University, M.Ed., 2002
- St. Joseph's College, B.S., 1997
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- The Honorable Patrick T. Dinkelacker, Hamilton County Court of Common Pleas, 2005-2006
- The Honorable Alex M. Triantafilou, Hamilton County Court of Common Pleas, 2007
J.B. is a partner in the Vorys Cincinnati office and a member of the litigation practice group. J.B. has a broad range of litigation experience including business, commercial, construction, insurance, product liability/toxic tort, probate/estate litigation, intellectual property litigation and information privacy/data breach litigation.
His notable experience includes:
- First chair jury trial experience in a contract dispute that resulted in a verdict for the client well-below settlement value
- Second chair bench trial experience in a misappropriation of trade secrets case valued at $7,000,000.00 that resulted in a defense verdict for client and affirmed on appeal: Torbeck v. Indus. Mfg. Co., 2015-Ohio-3041
- Second chair bench trial experience in a family shareholder dispute
- Second chair on trial team who represented a large community bank against lender liability claims with potential exposure in excess of $5,000,000.00
- Member of Product Liability trial team that successfully negotiated a favorable outcome for a client whose product was accused of causing the death of four individuals
- Member of Trust and Estate trial team that successfully negotiated the disbursement of an estate exceeding $7,000,000.00 in value and involved the jurisdiction of two states
- Member of Trust and Estate trial team that successfully negotiated the disbursement of a $10,000,000.00 Estate on behalf of client involved in state court action with family members
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a financial institution in excess of $25 million that involved over 30 lien claimants and lender liability claims
- Has represented parents against school districts involving abuse and eligibility issues
- Successfully obtained injunctive relief for client only one hour before a scheduled board meeting would have terminated the client’s veto rights
- Member of numerous toxic tort trial teams that have successfully negotiated favorable outcomes and obtained summary judgment for clients involved in asbestos and flavoring cases throughout Ohio and Kentucky
- Has appeared and argued in actions pending before the Ohio First, Fifth and Twelfth District Court of Appeals and the Kentucky Court of Appeals
- Has represented banking clients in data breach cases that involve national merchants
J.B. teaches information privacy and data protection law, and intellectual property law as an adjunct professor at the Northern Kentucky University – Salmon P. Chase College of Law.
J.B. is regularly asked to speak to college students and current law students about the practice of law. He regularly volunteers his time for mock trial competitions.
J.B. is a member of the Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky and Kentucky State Bar Associations.
J.B. received his J.D. cum laude from Northern Kentucky University Chase College of Law and served as associate editor for the Northern Kentucky Law Review. He received his M.Ed. from Xavier University and his B.S. from St. Joseph's College where he was a member of the football team and first player in school history to be named to the Division II National All-Star Game.
Professional and Community Activities
- Adjunct Professor of Law (Intellectual Property Survey Course), NKU-Chase College of Law, 2014-present
- Northern Kentucky Chamber of Commerce, Member, 2008-present
- Salmon P. Chase Inn of Court, Executive Board Member and Treasurer, 2010-present
- National Football Foundation, Greater Cincinnati Chapter, Board of Trustees
- Cincinnati Bar Association CALL Class XVIII
- Participant in restarting the Hamilton County Youth Court
Honors & Awards
- Rebecca Bloom Bettman and John G. Carlisle Memorial Award, 2005
- West Outstanding Scholastic Achievement Award, 2005
- CALI Excellence for the Future Awards in Contracts II, 2005
- CALI Excellence for the Future Awards in State Constitutional Law, 2007
- W. Jack Grosse Moot Court Competition- Best Respondents Brief, 2006
- The Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation, 2018-2019
- 8/15/2018One hundred and thirteen lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2019.
- 8/17/2017One hundred and eight lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2018.
- 1/3/2017Vorys announced that Michael J. Ball, Colleen M. Devanney, J.B. Lind, Natalie M. McLaughlin, Martha Brewer Motley, Adam J. Rocco, Benjamin A. Shepler and Nancy Nicole Workman have been named partners of the firm.
- 8/24/2018Four Vorys attorneys presented in the Kentucky Bar Association’s 2018 Kentucky Law Update.
- 4/19/2018On April 19, 2018 three Vorys attorneys presented at the 2018 Kentucky Court of Appeals Spring Conference in Frankfort, Kentucky
- 12/7/2017Vorys attorneys Colleen Laux J.B. Lind, Beth Weinewuth, and Lisa Babish Forbes presented at Butler County Bar Association’s trust and estate CLE presentation on December 7, 2017.
- 10/20/2017The Chamberof the Future: Collegiality, Communication and Globalization in the Age of Innovative TechnologyVorys partner J.B. Lind spoke at the Chamber of the Council of Chief Judges of the State Courts of Appeal annual conference on October 20, 2017. J.B. took part in a round table discussion focusing on collegiality, communication and globalization in the age of innovative technology.
- 10/13/2017Vorys attorneys Eric Richardson, Jake Mahle, JB Lind and Nathan Colvin spoke at the 2017 Northern Kentucky University-Chase College of Law Cybersecurity Symposium on October 13, 2017. They will address legal developments and implications of data breaches and investigations including: addressing the types of threats; the impact of breaches; and preservation of the attorney-client privilege in the investigation and steps to limit liability.
- 10/21/2016Nathan Colvin, J.B. Lind, Jake Mahle and Eric Richardson were speakers at the NKU Cybersecurity Symposium on October 21, 2016.
- 9/7/2018Large companies are not the only businesses that have an obligation to protect their customers’ data.
- 10/3/2017Case Note: A. Bogar v. Mark Baker, et al: When Language Is Ambiguous, Don’t Forget the Testator’s Intent“Together with all contents of said real estate.” It sounds straightforward. But what happens when the “real estate” is a farm and the “contents” in question include trucks and farm machinery?
- 9/2/2014J.B. Lind, an associate in the Vorys Cincinnati office and a member of the litigation group, authored an article for the September issue of the Cincinnati Bar Association’s CBA Report titled “CALL Class XVIII: Youth Court.”