- Case Western Reserve University School of Law, J.D., 2009, cum laude
- The University of Chicago, B.A. with honors, 2006
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
Liana is of counsel in the Vorys Cleveland office and a member of the labor and employment group. Her practice focuses on representing employers in litigation arising out of the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Title VII, Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), Equal Pay Act (EPA), and similar state laws. She also participates in employment-related arbitrations and defends employers against charges and complaints before federal and state administrative agencies. Liana also counsels clients on a variety of employment law matters, including compliance issues, reductions in force, employee discipline and termination decisions, and internal complaints and investigations.
Liana is also involved in the preparation of employment-related documents, including employee handbooks, workplace policies, and various agreements. She has lectured and provided training on numerous topics including discrimination and harassment under the ADA and Title VII as well as wage and hour law and the FMLA.
Her notable experience includes:
- Litigating matters in more than 15 states
- Obtaining summary judgment in lawsuits across the county asserting: discrimination and harassment based on sex, race, religion, disability, and age; workers’ compensation retaliation; wrongful discharge in violation of public policy; negligent and intentional infliction of emotional distress; negligent supervision and retention; unpaid wages and vacation pay; FMLA interference and retaliation; whistleblower retaliation; and violations of the EPA
- Serving as trial counsel in both jury and bench trials
- Representing a broad range of employers including those in the retail; restaurants, food, and beverage; financial services; manufacturing; education; and health care sectors
Liana received her J.D. cum laude from Case Western Reserve University School of Law. She received her B.A. with honors from The University of Chicago.
Honors & Awards
- Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars, Employment & Labor, 2015-2019
- 12/5/2018Vorys is pleased to announce that 48 attorneys from the firm have been named 2019 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 12/5/2017Vorys is pleased to announce that 56 attorneys from the firm have been named 2018 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 12/2/2016Vorys is pleased to announce that 58 attorneys from the firm have been named 2017 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 12/2/2015Vorys is pleased to announce that 63 attorneys from the firm have been named 2016 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 12/3/2014Vorys is pleased to announce that 74 attorneys from the firm have been named 2015 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 10/3/2019New Jersey recently joined a growing number of states and municipalities that have passed laws prohibiting employers from inquiring into a job applicant’s salary history.
- 1/18/2019As of January 1, 2019, Connecticut became one of the latest jurisdictions to prohibit employers from inquiring into applicants’ salary history.